The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-07-02 21:35:16

smoki

Re: Life after Firefox

Oh, that was short love:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph … 21#p116121

Month earler they said "Our focus will be GTK2." and now "Linux focus in UXP will be GTK3, not GTK2." big_smile

If i hate something that is when people in a short period of time entirely switch statements... so good bye PM

Last edited by smoki (2017-07-02 21:36:40)

#52 2017-07-02 22:35:01

msi

You could give Dooble a try. I successfully built it on Devuan (Jessie) last week (see https://sourceforge.net/p/dooble/discus … /33feae29/ ) but didn't have time to really check it out yet. From what I've read, it's usable but still needs some work. To build it, you'll need to install a few dependencies. For me, they were:

• qt4-qmake

• libqt4-dev (which pulled in a whole bunch of other (qt-)stuff)

• libgcrypt20-dev

• libsqlite3-dev

Then run the following commands inside the source tree:

$ qmake -o Makefile dooble.pro  # use dooble.qt5.pro to build the Qt 5 version
$ make

As you can read in the discussion linked above, installation targets for Linux-based systems have been removed. But you can simply run Dooble from within the build directory after make has finished. Before that, however, you'll have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the "libSpotnOn" folder. I've written myself a two-line shell script that always does that before starting the browser.

#53 2017-07-02 23:12:53

mckaygerhard
Website

smoki wrote:

Oh, that was short love:

If i hate something that is when people in a short period of time entirely switch statements... so good bye PM

jajaja please, gime a break, you are using a piece of software that have same behaviour..

Devuan is still being born and in diapers, and takin in cosideration that do not have enough manpowers working on it may change many things tomorrow,

PAleMoon have few manpowers and must take care of that.. maybe GTK2 need too much efforts and GTK3 its more easyle.. so you must understand

it can change based on that availability .. jjajajaj

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-07-02 23:15:58)

#54 2017-07-03 00:12:54

smoki

mckaygerhard wrote:

jajaja please, gime a break, you are using a piece of software that have same behaviour..

I specially started using Pale Moon as i heard earlier they will stick to gtk2, something they officially stated also month or so ago... but since that is no longer true then good bye big_smile

They have a right to choose and no offense there... switched to Seamonkey as main, compiled NetSurf git now posting this from it, btw NS also have gtk3 non default, that gtk3 shit is everywhere big_smile

Last edited by smoki (2017-07-03 00:15:30)

#55 2017-07-03 00:39:29

mckaygerhard
Website

. switched to Seamonkey as main, compiled NetSurf git now posting this from it

i compiled NS and try to use some moths ago in github and gitlab, but no look with javascript engine..

how its now NS..

, btw NS also have gtk3 non default, that gtk3 shit is everywhere

i hate the gtk3 shit

as i heard earlier they will stick to gtk2, something they officially stated also month or so ago... but since that is no longer true then good bye

well today there's no so many choices.. its a guindows like manpowers in everywhere..

#56 2017-07-03 03:21:57

smoki

mckaygerhard wrote:

PAleMoon have few manpowers and must take care of that.. maybe GTK2 need too much efforts and GTK3 its more easyle.. so you must understand

I would understand if someone stick to his words and don't change them in such a timeframe. What happen there seems to be, hey we will focus on black and month after OK pardon (with no pardon we will focus on white.

Summa summarum, at the moment i don't care on what they will focus as i am not an swinger no way i can understand that big_smile

Last edited by smoki (2017-07-03 03:24:58)

#57 2017-07-17 07:17:19

fungus
Website

Somewhat Reticent wrote:

For those who insist on more than suckless surf there's Midori or QupZilla or maybe just dillo or netsurf? neutral
In the long run, though, maybe best to use a fire-jail'ed browser cloud VM/appimage instance?

The only reference in this forum of Qupzilla is yours, now there will be two.
It is not as minimal in footprint as portrayed, but in Devuan it is alot lighter than in systemd distros.  Somehow all the qtwebkit processes that would run along in systemd (10-15 of them) are not active here.  But I am confortable with it and it is not made by google/mozilla Inc.  Midori was crap, I only struggled with it for a couple of days.  Dillo is fine if you are editing plain no script html pages and want something light to visualize them in the background.  For plain html5 pages/sites (devuan/debian/torproject/etc) it may be fine.

Qupzilla 1.8.* is more than 2 years old.  Sid/Ceres is now testing 2.1.2 ....  WHAT A LEAP!  Manjaro has had 2.1... in stable for quite a while.  As I write this I am upgrading to ceres from ascii as it is the only way I can get qupzilla.  Sounds silly, I know.  I have my refractasnapshot done (you guys should try it if you haven't already).
Guess what!  If you use qupzilla from jessie/ascii to reach qupzilla's website to download and build their latest the javascript link to download for "other linux" does not work.  Their own site does not work with an older qupzilla to download the newer one!

That is why I like it so much  smile  It is like buying a Trabant or a Yugo when nobody wants even the one they have.  I wanted to make a 2stroke clone of the two and call it Zastrabant

#58 2017-07-17 08:11:31

fungus
Website

Mark this as bluff failed.
The whole system upgraded to ceres, all fine.
Two packages held back!
Qupzilla and its lib codependency.  An upgrade will cause breaks it says.
Should I force it?

#59 2017-07-27 22:31:06

γραφω λογον

I am on Palemoon right now, Dillo when I don't need to flap my jaw or access anything that needs a password, w3m when GUI annoys me, and am still looking around.

I don't see GNU Icecat in the reps, but I have used it on Trisquel and would prefer it on my 64 bit machines. It might be a bit heavy for some of my 32 bit machines, but still worth a test drive and some education for my illustrious self.

My biggest concern  is that I would prefer to run exclusively free software and am trying my wings at holding my own hand instead of asking others to do that for me.

Well, that was short-lived love for me too. I found Icecat here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

wrestled it on to (some of) my beasts, and it's not too heavy for them at all.

Preferred browser on preferred operating system. Mission accomplished. smile

Last edited by γραφω λογον (2017-07-28 22:46:34)

My English is still a work in progress; no offense was intended.

Board footer