The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-07-02 22:35:01

msi

Re: Life after Firefox

You could give Dooble a try. I successfully built it on Devuan (Jessie) last week (see https://sourceforge.net/p/dooble/discus … /33feae29/ ) but didn't have time to really check it out yet. From what I've read, it's usable but still needs some work. To build it, you'll need to install a few dependencies. For me, they were:

• qt4-qmake

• libqt4-dev (which pulled in a whole bunch of other (qt-)stuff)

• libgcrypt20-dev

• libsqlite3-dev

Then run the following commands inside the source tree:

$ qmake -o Makefile dooble.pro  # use dooble.qt5.pro to build the Qt 5 version
$ make

As you can read in the discussion linked above, installation targets for Linux-based systems have been removed. But you can simply run Dooble from within the build directory after make has finished. Before that, however, you'll have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the "libSpotnOn" folder. I've written myself a two-line shell script that always does that before starting the browser.

#52 2017-07-02 23:12:53

mckaygerhard
Website

smoki wrote:

Oh, that was short love:

If i hate something that is when people in a short period of time entirely switch statements... so good bye PM

jajaja please, gime a break, you are using a piece of software that have same behaviour..

Devuan is still being born and in diapers, and takin in cosideration that do not have enough manpowers working on it may change many things tomorrow,

PAleMoon have few manpowers and must take care of that.. maybe GTK2 need too much efforts and GTK3 its more easyle.. so you must understand

it can change based on that availability .. jjajajaj

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-07-02 23:15:58)

#53 2017-07-03 00:12:54

smoki

mckaygerhard wrote:

jajaja please, gime a break, you are using a piece of software that have same behaviour..

I specially started using Pale Moon as i heard earlier they will stick to gtk2, something they officially stated also month or so ago... but since that is no longer true then good bye big_smile

They have a right to choose and no offense there... switched to Seamonkey as main, compiled NetSurf git now posting this from it, btw NS also have gtk3 non default, that gtk3 shit is everywhere big_smile

Last edited by smoki (2017-07-03 00:15:30)

#54 2017-07-03 00:39:29

mckaygerhard
Website

. switched to Seamonkey as main, compiled NetSurf git now posting this from it

i compiled NS and try to use some moths ago in github and gitlab, but no look with javascript engine..

how its now NS..

, btw NS also have gtk3 non default, that gtk3 shit is everywhere

i hate the gtk3 shit

as i heard earlier they will stick to gtk2, something they officially stated also month or so ago... but since that is no longer true then good bye

well today there's no so many choices.. its a guindows like manpowers in everywhere..

#55 2017-07-03 03:21:57

smoki

mckaygerhard wrote:

PAleMoon have few manpowers and must take care of that.. maybe GTK2 need too much efforts and GTK3 its more easyle.. so you must understand

I would understand if someone stick to his words and don't change them in such a timeframe. What happen there seems to be, hey we will focus on black and month after OK pardon (with no pardon we will focus on white.

Summa summarum, at the moment i don't care on what they will focus as i am not an swinger no way i can understand that big_smile

Last edited by smoki (2017-07-03 03:24:58)

#56 2017-07-17 07:17:19

fungus
Website

Somewhat Reticent wrote:

For those who insist on more than suckless surf there's Midori or QupZilla or maybe just dillo or netsurf? neutral
In the long run, though, maybe best to use a fire-jail'ed browser cloud VM/appimage instance?

The only reference in this forum of Qupzilla is yours, now there will be two.
It is not as minimal in footprint as portrayed, but in Devuan it is alot lighter than in systemd distros.  Somehow all the qtwebkit processes that would run along in systemd (10-15 of them) are not active here.  But I am confortable with it and it is not made by google/mozilla Inc.  Midori was crap, I only struggled with it for a couple of days.  Dillo is fine if you are editing plain no script html pages and want something light to visualize them in the background.  For plain html5 pages/sites (devuan/debian/torproject/etc) it may be fine.

Qupzilla 1.8.* is more than 2 years old.  Sid/Ceres is now testing 2.1.2 ....  WHAT A LEAP!  Manjaro has had 2.1... in stable for quite a while.  As I write this I am upgrading to ceres from ascii as it is the only way I can get qupzilla.  Sounds silly, I know.  I have my refractasnapshot done (you guys should try it if you haven't already).
Guess what!  If you use qupzilla from jessie/ascii to reach qupzilla's website to download and build their latest the javascript link to download for "other linux" does not work.  Their own site does not work with an older qupzilla to download the newer one!

That is why I like it so much  smile  It is like buying a Trabant or a Yugo when nobody wants even the one they have.  I wanted to make a 2stroke clone of the two and call it Zastrabant

#57 2017-07-17 08:11:31

fungus
Website

Mark this as bluff failed.
The whole system upgraded to ceres, all fine.
Two packages held back!
Qupzilla and its lib codependency.  An upgrade will cause breaks it says.
Should I force it?

#58 2017-07-27 22:31:06

γραφω λογον

I am on Palemoon right now, Dillo when I don't need to flap my jaw or access anything that needs a password, w3m when GUI annoys me, and am still looking around.

I don't see GNU Icecat in the reps, but I have used it on Trisquel and would prefer it on my 64 bit machines. It might be a bit heavy for some of my 32 bit machines, but still worth a test drive and some education for my illustrious self.

My biggest concern  is that I would prefer to run exclusively free software and am trying my wings at holding my own hand instead of asking others to do that for me.

Well, that was short-lived love for me too. I found Icecat here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

wrestled it on to (some of) my beasts, and it's not too heavy for them at all.

Preferred browser on preferred operating system. Mission accomplished. smile

Last edited by γραφω λογον (2017-07-28 22:46:34)

My English is still a work in progress; no offense was intended.

#59 2018-02-12 02:55:38

msi

GNUser wrote:

- Chromium*

* Being made by Google, I'd only use Chromium as an absolute last resort. Remember, your browsing data is Google's main "product".

The iridium browser project is trying to eliminate this drawback from using Chromium. They also provide binary packages for a few major Linux distributions, including Debian. These should also work on Devuan.

#60 2018-12-13 16:46:34

jeffreyC

The main 'selling point' that was used for Google Chrome to beat Firefox for market share was it was faster.

Turning Firefox into Mozilla Chrome seems to be Mozilla's answer.
Though some of the decisions they have made make me wonder who the Firefox developers really work for.

For those who want Firefox Quantum without a dependency on Pulseaudio there is this:

https://gitlab.com/Monsterovich/firefox-fuckpa

Now on with my search for a browser that I can live with, that is able to handle the 'modern' internet.

Last edited by jeffreyC (2018-12-13 18:14:38)

#61 2018-12-13 18:11:45

mckaygerhard
Website

about firefox, debian builds firefox with alsa by default ...

i tested slimjet and i think (due i dont use youtube to work) its the most efficient and faster browser!

#62 2018-12-13 18:17:14

jeffreyC

mckaygerhard wrote:

i tested slimjet and i think (due i dont use youtube to work) its the most efficient and faster browser!

YouTube is very handy if you want to work on your hardware, the odds are fairly good someone else has taken one apart and posted the video of it.

#63 2018-12-13 18:24:54

golinux
Administrator

mckaygerhard wrote:

Yes, but Quantum now requires pulseaudio to use alsa.  Supposedly apulse will substitute but I haven't tried it.

#64 2018-12-18 07:25:38

spartrekus

Maybe a good thing, would be to rewrite the HTML to have less CSS, Java,....
Your web would look different, smoother, and free for everyone.

+1 netsurf
+1 links

Last edited by spartrekus (2018-12-18 07:26:15)

#65 2019-03-25 15:53:35

beate

Hi, maybe it is best to continue in this thread although it is fairly old:

midori. More specific its latest version, midori-7. On my old box running NetBSD 8.0 it looks really promising. (And Midori 0.5.11 crashed when i treid to log into paypal.) Any packackes available for Devuan (i am here on ASCII)?

Last edited by beate (2019-03-25 15:54:19)

#66 2019-03-25 16:04:43

Ron

I have been happily using Pale Moon for the last 6 or 7 years (started with it while on Windows), and have Basilisk as a backup. There are no other browsers out there (right now) for me, except maybe Waterfox if I had to.

#67 2019-03-25 18:42:01

beate

Well, we all have our preferences. Here on my large ASCII desktop (64bit hardware with 32 bit OS) i am running qupzilla (pretty unstable...), chromium and palemoon more or less permanently and midori for specific tasks where i want to ensure that everything is cleared after the session (banking...).

In NetBSD/i386 midori is the only acceptable browser - native alternative is just an old and slow version of firefox... but anyway, midori is an interesting project i am following (and using) for quite a while. And midory 7 uses a much cleaner GUI that 0.5.11 ... so it would be really nice if there was at least a debian package..

On my very new notebook i (64bit ASCII) i tried Iridium, but failed due to a library version mismatch - the binary is made for Ubuntu.

So in conclusion, there seems to be the need of a free, not too feature overloaded web browser, ideally independent on any specific GUI environment.

#68 2019-03-25 19:54:21

yeti

This one?

20190325-193907-GMT__midori7_on_devuan2.png

Debian/Sid has it and a quick and dirty rebuild on ASCII is doable.

Last edited by yeti (2019-03-25 19:58:40)

<𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚘𝚗𝚕𝚘𝚊𝚍='𝚍𝚘𝚌𝚞𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝.𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢.𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛𝙷𝚃𝙼𝙻="𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝙹𝚂!";'>
𝔓𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔢 𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔣𝔞𝔲𝔩𝔱𝔰 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔢𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔡𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔤𝔢𝔱 𝔱𝔬 𝔲𝔫𝔰𝔲𝔟𝔰𝔠𝔯𝔦𝔟𝔢!

#69 2019-03-25 21:47:30

ChuangTzu

Midori looked promising a few years ago, I think falkon (was qupzilla) has a better future, for now....

#70 2019-03-25 22:05:24

yeti

I haven't looked longer at Midori. A while ago it only could do http/https and no other protocol. And with today's quick and dirty build, I got lost in GitLab because some stuff in GitLab's menu refused to cooperate with Midori.

Midori will not be my future browser.
Pasta and Ramen!

<𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚘𝚗𝚕𝚘𝚊𝚍='𝚍𝚘𝚌𝚞𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝.𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢.𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛𝙷𝚃𝙼𝙻="𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝙹𝚂!";'>
𝔓𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔢 𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔣𝔞𝔲𝔩𝔱𝔰 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔢𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔡𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔤𝔢𝔱 𝔱𝔬 𝔲𝔫𝔰𝔲𝔟𝔰𝔠𝔯𝔦𝔟𝔢!

#71 2019-03-26 00:05:59

beate

yeti wrote:

This one?

https://web.archive.org/web/20190325194 … evuan2.png

Debian/Sid has it and a quick and dirty rebuild on ASCII is doable.

Yes, that one.

Falkon is going to be integrated into KDE, and hence Qupzilla will die,  at least as a standalone browser.

There is a significant community outside the KDE/GNOME/XFCE folks, and these (or maybe especially these?) might be the main community for the smaller browser projects independent on any desktop.

Anyway, regardless if someone likes midori or not - it is part of debian and hence devuan. In a meanwhile old version. A reasonably well tested port might be a serious candidate for the backports, won't it?

But anyway, i think i'll try a build and check the sid patches before, as soon as i have the time.

#72 2019-03-26 14:52:30

Panopticon

Ron wrote:

I have been happily using Pale Moon for the last 6 or 7 years (started with it while on Windows), and have Basilisk as a backup. There are no other browsers out there (right now) for me, except maybe Waterfox if I had to.

Ive been sticking with palemoon too, probably about 2 years now. Only thing its not very good at is putting up with google maps so i switched to whereis.com maps and it handles it nicely. Many of the old legacy plugins in are available in palemoon too. I keep palemoon in a firejail for a bit of added security. Waterfox is a backup i have if needed.

#73 2019-03-26 23:54:40

Ron

Panopticon wrote:
Many of the old legacy plugins in are available in palemoon too.

Here's a link with probably thousands (yeah, thousands) of legacy (so-called) add-ons. I would guess that a high majority will work in Pale Moon.
Hope some will find this link useful.

Legacy Firefox extensions

Last edited by Ron (2019-03-26 23:55:35)

#74 2019-04-10 10:45:45

SmartDuck
Website

Midori is a nice a clean browser. Tried Falkon too. But I find both a little to buggy as main browser.
I use Basilisk now, before Palemoon. I keep Firefox ESR installed as backup browser in case a website I need doesn't work.
Basilisk is a fine browser fast and with ABL, a cookie cruncher and eMatrix I'm free of adds and annoying stuff.
I also added some extra entries in my hosts file to block tracking, adds, google and facebook.

#75 2019-05-11 04:03:54

sl

I've used Vivaldi for a while now and I quite like it. It has some features that I haven't seen from other browsers (the ability to add custom quick searches - i.e. "y linus tech tips" to search for linus tech tips on YouTube - is very cool, for example). Their whole account sync thing works pretty well but it doesn't sync some things that I wish it did (such as those quick searches).

I guess the main reason I don't use Firefox is because the LastPass extension for it just doesn't work very well compared to the Chromium one. It's a nice backup browser to have though.

"When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin"

Board footer