The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2022-08-04 03:15:11

auanta

Re: Bullseye migration story

Wow.. yikes Well, hell is on fire, I started having DNS problems and therefore can't do any actions with apt. Commenting out the network config I made didn't change anything. I rebooted into a new rescue shell. Still can't resolve name servers to debian.org or google.com. The --fix-broken option just removed all my apps for no reason. But the devuan sysvinit-core is installed! I should have waited for further instruction... My bad. Not the end of the world though, I still have my configs.

The old guide doesn't work for me, I try to remove libpam-systemd and it says "virtual packages like libpam-systemd can't be removed". It brings more doubts as to whether that guide applies to this version.

I think my apt and network are too confused to go any further. To make my life a bit easier I'll go ahead and do a regular install on this machine, but I'll test a migration with a spare, when ya'll are ready.

Devuan GNU/Linux, the sysadmin secret sauce
> "I use Hyperbola btw" my favorite BSD wink

Disclaimer: If I give you any technical advice, always double check it, because even though I used GNU/Linux many years, I'm still learning, just like you. I try to help, but I could be wrong! Empower yourself!

#27 2022-08-04 06:54:18

delgado

auanta wrote:

Well, hell is on fire, I started having DNS problems and therefore can't do any actions with apt.

Your network device name has changed with the migration. In my case ist was form enp1s0 in bullseye to eth0 in chimaera.
Did you look at ' /etc/network/interfaces' ? Or you may find affected files with, e.g.:

grep -r enp1s /etc/*

EDIT: Of course, sometimes it's better to just start fresh.

Last edited by delgado (2022-08-04 07:24:08)

#28 2022-08-04 12:24:11

tomasz

I've inspected the situation around this process and there are many things that I don't understand or think need fixing. I'll address only two now.

First of all, it's not clear, why there are two repositories for documentation. Does the first one (documentation) have any stand-alone purpose? Does it have to exist at all? With just one repository, there would be fewer integration problems. I'd just operate in the MD format (which can be simply plain text if clarity is preferred) and shift translation to HTML further in the build process. The HTML files are just artefacts. Of course there's a point in archiving them, but I wouldn't version them this way. A CI/CD line should take care of this.

The documentation repository (again, documentation) as it stands now would benefit from a clear licensing info. I see such notes in various files, but it's unclear in general, for the whole repo. Compare with the website repo, where this is explicit at the very top of the tree. The shell script linked in the migration instruction is simply unlicensed. A single SPDX line would do. But README.adoc also needs this info.

#29 2022-08-04 12:35:07

Altoid

Hello:

Yes, the problem is almost certainly network interface name.

Hmm ...
Nothing in the release notes about that?  8^°

delgado wrote:

... sometimes it's better to just start fresh.

Granted.

It is much easier, particularly if you have limited Linux experience.
But ...

Check this out:
https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/25/ … _upgraded/

And tell me if anyone can pull that one off with any of the MS OSs .

Best,

O.

#30 2022-08-04 12:52:07

tomasz

I remember my network problem. It was both the interface and the DNS resolution.

The first one can be handles on the go with ip.

As for DNS, I may be slightly wrong here, but Bullseye would link /etc/resolv.conf to a dynamic entry in /proc (or so). Strictly speaking, that would be Network Manager. Then after some (?) step, the file would be just an empty regular one. So you need to put your DNS server(s) there.

#31 2022-08-05 01:42:45

auanta

I think I'm up to speed now.

tomasz wrote:

First of all, it's not clear, why there are two repositories for documentation.

I'm searching up and down, and only see one documentation repo. So I think we're ok on that.

The networking issues should be addressed in the documentation. It is possible that this will happen again...or not, depending on the correct instructions.

Before we can do any further testing on the migration at all, we need someone to clarify the correct workflow - details in the bug report.

Last edited by auanta (2022-08-05 01:46:38)

Disclaimer: If I give you any technical advice, always double check it, because even though I used GNU/Linux many years, I'm still learning, just like you. I try to help, but I could be wrong! Empower yourself!

#32 2022-08-05 02:13:59

tomasz

auanta wrote:

I'm searching up and down, and only see one documentation repo. So I think we're ok on that.

No. There are two. Why otherwise would you report a bug on one of them mentioning the other?

#33 2022-08-05 02:32:19

auanta

tomasz wrote:
auanta wrote:

No. There are two. Why otherwise would you report a bug on one of them mentioning the other?

I mean, in theory there could be two repos, but then where is the second repo? In my bug report I reference the live site at devuan.org and the repo at git.devuan.org but no secondary repo.

#34 2022-08-05 02:38:23

tomasz

auanta wrote:
tomasz wrote:
auanta wrote:

I mean, in theory there could be two repos, but then where is the second repo? In my bug report I reference the live site at devuan.org and the repo at git.devuan.org but no secondary repo.

https://git.devuan.org/devuan/www.devuan.org/ is secondary.

#35 2022-08-05 03:14:36

auanta

tomasz wrote:
auanta wrote:
tomasz wrote:

https://git.devuan.org/devuan/www.devuan.org/ is secondary.

OK, gotcha, well but that's the website and they put the documentation in a separate repo, which honestly makes sense, to keep the web development and documentation separate. There apparently needs to be more (automated) synchronicity however.

It would be more beautiful if it was devuan/www.devuan.org/documentation but none of the git repos seem to go deeper than 1 level. I mean, you can't have a repo in a repo.

Just how it appears to me. I dug around and can't find any documentations within the www repo.

Last edited by auanta (2022-08-05 04:08:14)

#36 2022-08-05 03:36:07

golinux
Administrator

@auanta . . . Have you actually looked at the website? The Explore page in the navbar lists all the documentation included in the website and some links point to resources elsewhere.

There is also a lot of practical documentation on this very forum as well as the DNG mail list.

#37 2022-08-05 03:52:19

auanta

golinux wrote:

@auanta . . . Have you actually looked at the website? The Explore page in the navbar lists all the documentation included in the website and some links point to resources elsewhere.

There is also a lot of practical documentation on this very forum as well as the DNG mail list.

Yeah, I've spent 2 days on this now (many hours) and looked through all of it including the git repo. Why do you ask?

Let me be clear, I'm aware that the documentation is presented on the website, but when I choose the language of separating them it is because I know behind the server, documentation and web dev are different skillsets. Yes, the end result is they both show up on the website.

And the actual live website, I am speaking about this separately from the git repos. Yes, what I am saying is there is an inconsistency between the live site and the repos. My not finding documentations within the www repo is because the documentation lives in its own "documentation" repo, not the www repo as far as I see when I look at the files.

Last edited by auanta (2022-08-05 03:59:29)

#38 2022-08-05 09:39:15

tomasz

There is documentation in the web repo. Let me mark it for you in the tree.

├── bin
├── data
├── etc
│   └── nginx
│       ├── sites-available
│       └── snippets
├── lib
├── locales
└── source
    ├── error
    ├── os
    │   ├── announce
    │   │   └── report

start

│   └── documentation
    │       ├── design-guide
    │       ├── dev1fanboy
    │       │   ├── en
    │       │   ├── es
    │       │   ├── img
    │       │   └── it
    │       └── install-guides
    │           ├── ascii
    │           │   └── img
    │           │       └── live-gui
    │           ├── beowulf
    │           │   └── img
    │           │       └── live-gui
    │           └── chimaera
    │               ├── css
    │               ├── img
    │               │   └── live-gui
    │               └── pics

end

└── ui
        ├── css
        │   ├── debbugs
        │   ├── fonts
        │   └── pkginfo
        └── img
            └── 404

#39 2022-08-05 13:28:30

auanta

Oooo yes thank you so it's at https://git.devuan.org/devuan/www.devua … maera.html

And https://git.devuan.org/devuan/documenta … himaera.md

I will add this to the issue along with all your other recommendations.

Not sure if I should open an issue for your trouble logging into git web interface. @tomasz

#40 2022-08-05 13:42:20

tomasz

auanta wrote:

Not sure if I should open an issue for your trouble logging into git web interface. @tomasz

Thanks. That's nice. That is not a bug, but a feature. Thanks to the spammer filter. I disregard that filter. And this translates into me being banished.

#41 2022-08-05 14:14:25

golinux
Administrator

@tomasz . . .  What we choose with each intentional action sets the course of our life. Easy to shoot oneself in the foot so best to choose wisely . . .

#42 2022-08-05 14:35:32

tomasz

golinux wrote:

@tomasz . . .  What we choose with each intentional action sets the course of our life. Easy to shoot oneself in the foot so best to choose wisely . . .

Hard to disagree. But the filter situation also means that if I have something to share with you, it will be published on Debian's Salsa.

#43 2022-08-05 15:06:52

golinux
Administrator

tomasz wrote:
golinux wrote:

Hard to disagree. But the filter situation also means that if I have something to share with you, it will be published on Debian's Salsa.

Some things are not meant to be . . . smile

#44 2022-08-05 15:25:34

tomasz

Some things are not meant to be guessed.

#45 2022-08-05 15:49:11

golinux
Administrator

I think this topic has run its course . . . smile

#46 2022-08-09 19:14:31

golinux
Administrator

This is a post-lock addition to hopefully clarify some of the confused assumptions above . . .

Let's start with the first iteration of devuan.org in the current layout that Hellekin and I put together for our first public release of Devuan Jessie 1.0 Beta. Hopefully, it will put the issues brought up above into historical perspective. Have a look here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201606041517 … evuan.org/

At that time I didn't even know what git was! I was entirely concerned with the content, colors and layout of the site. Hellekin dealt with the technical complexities of making it happen. It was quite a partnership! You can see that all the navigation links were dumped on the index page. Also note that dev1fanboy's docs were in a format detached from the website proper and sourced from his git repo. This is the historical reason that remains of dev1fanboy's "wiki" are present in the documentation section. It was not some over-arching structural decision for the www workflow which has ALWAYS been from www BETA to LIVE or MASTER or whatever it was called at the time.

When Hellekin moved on, I took over www and eventually all public-facing web content went through me, even dev1fanboy's and fsmithred's and the docs that rrq and I crafted for the install disk(s). I had a LOT of catching up to do but eventually managed to gain enough git pointy-clicky proficiency to accomplish all the public-facing upgrades to ascii and beowulf documentation as needed.

I also redesigned the site over the years to have a proper nav bar and trimmed content down to the minimal needed. Mostly it consisted of rearranging/compacting/rewriting and eliminating redundancies of information already available. Please do take a tour on web.archive.org to see how the site morphed over the years.

Then I just burned out - partly due to age; partly due to the enormous workload - and Xenguy stepped up to take over www beginning with Chimaera (though I still provided the matching default colors).

I should have thought to write this brief history of www earlier but now that the issue came up, I finally mustered the focus to put things into historical perspective. I do hope that it helps to clarify how we got to where we are.

Any questions? Start a new thread.

Board footer