The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-01 06:48:55

einpoklum
Website

Does the project prepare some periodic report?

Is there some kind of periodic, say annual, official report on the state of the Devuan project? W.r.t. finances, numbers of volunteers, volume of activity, download stats, "diplomatic" news about interaction with Debian and with OS-industry entities / foua?

I routinely find myself wondering how Devuan is doing and I usually don't have a good idea of where things stand.

#2 2022-04-01 15:49:18

golinux
Administrator

Re: Does the project prepare some periodic report?

Financial Reports
Team
Popcon
Distrowatch Rankings

Participation is the best way of understanding the answers to your questions.

#3 2022-04-01 18:41:30

einpoklum
Website

First, thanks for the links. However, none of them is what I'm really after, even if some of them may provide some pieces of what I'm after. I'm looking for a periodic overview of the state of the project, and none of the links has it. In particular, none of them talks about what has been achieved, what are efforts being focused on, what is expected to happen, what are significant challenges facing the project in the near future etc.

Now, about those links...

• Popularity contest is cute, but it's a voluntary package installed by a not-so-large fraction of the user-base. Do you have credible statistical analysis suggesting a known ratio between the values there and the actual active user-base? I'm guessing "no", considering the comment at the bottom.

• The financial report:

• It is from 2020; 15 months have passed since.

• It shows very little activity involving money, and very limited income. There's nothing wrong with that, and no reason to over-capitalize things, but - if that's the case, then the non-financial activity report, of what volunteers are doing, is even more important.

• There's no budgeted-vs-actual on anything, although given how only few activities are mentioned, the lack of this information is not that terrible.

• The lists of people do not show who is currently active, except for 3 people + board of trustees. More importantly, it doesn't show who-does-what.

• What are the distrowatch figures supposed to represent?  (... looks into it...) The rating value is an arbitrary number reviewers give a distribution, without even any guideline on how to rate; and we know nothing about the distribution of DW reviewers.

You don't owe me anything, I'm just a lowly user who works on other FOSS, but FWIW I find this lacking.

Last edited by einpoklum (2022-04-01 18:41:41)

#4 2022-04-01 19:52:51

golinux
Administrator

einpoklum wrote:

You don't owe me anything, I'm just a lowly user who works on other FOSS, but FWIW I find this lacking.

Not going to waste anymore time on this as any answer I provide would not satisfy you.

If you would like more detailed documentation provided:

1. join the Devuan Team
2. get to know us and how we collaborate
3. write the documents you desire to meet your expectations

#5 2022-04-02 09:52:13

Camtaf

The team do a grand job making Debian into what it used to be, an extremely useful distro; I personally don't worry, as long as I can use Devuan, all is well. smile

Board footer