The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-09 18:15:53

rolfie

[Closed] Several problems installing 3.1.0

Have installed a fresh nvme on my older workstation with X470 chipset, Ryzen7 2700X, AMD 570 graphics card. Now I try to bring up the PC with Beowulf and Chimaera in parallel installations, but I face several issues I did not see with 3.0.0 installs. HW set to Fast Boot disabled, CSM on, UEFI driver first, Secure Boot off. The old ASCII/Beowulf installs did work with that setup.

Downloaded the Desktop DVD image, copied this to a new USB stick with rufus (same procedure as used with 3.0.0). Stick booted in EFI mode, Expert install, German language and Keyboard, manual paritioning (P1=EFI, P2=/boot, P3=encrypted LVM), enable contrib/nonfree and backports, disable sources, use a mirror from Germany, ..... just go for a CLI install, no graphical desktop yet.

1.) Minor issue: The sources.list still contains one uncommented line referring to the CD-ROM.
2.) locale is set to LANG=C.UTF-8, LANGUAGE=de. dpkg-reconfigure locales in rescue mode does not change anything. I just have de-DE.UTF-8 selected, no errors produced, locale does not change??
3.) Managed to break the locale on the first install when trying to fix this. Couldn't enter my special characters composed with ALTGR any more. Did a second installation with same parameters, overwriting the first install. Now I end up in the grub console. Even after a rescue session and re-installing grub. Häääh?

Next thing I will try is doing an install from my old 3.0.0 medium generated last summer on P4=/boot for Chimaera and P5 for encrypted LVM for Chimaera.

Any feedback is welcome.

rolfie

Last edited by rolfie (2021-03-14 20:30:29)

#2 2021-03-09 19:59:15

rolfie

Re: [Closed] Several problems installing 3.1.0

Update on the Beowulf 3.0.0 install on P4/P5:Same issues basically, the boot also ends in the grub-console, no grub menu shown.

Started the rescue mode and fixed issue #1. Looked at the locale, also is at C.UTF-8. Then fidelled a bit with boot, grub-install and update-grub, grub.cfg, efivars and the efibootmgr. Finally used efibootmgr -v and saw that all Devuan entries in the efi memeory were referring to shimx64.efi, despite my disabling Secure Boot.

Well, searched the man pages for grub-install and found the option --no-uefi-secure-boot.
A grub-install --no-uefi-secure-boot --bootloader-id=devuan4 brought a grubx64.efi into play. A reboot showed the usual blue grub splash screen, I am now working on P4/P5 and the Chimaera upgrade. The locale issue is gone too.

Next step is trying the same on the 3.1.0 install.

What I am wondering about: how did I get into this situation in the first place?

rolfie

Last edited by rolfie (2021-03-09 21:53:13)

#3 2021-03-09 20:26:31

golinux
Administrator

It is a known issue being discussed on dng mail list and elsewhere in this forum.  (Too lazy to search)

#4 2021-03-11 17:39:27

rolfie

Update to todays status

Got the Beowulf 3.0.0 based Chimaera installation on P(artition)4/P5 on the new NMVe working fine with openrc as init and Cinnamon as desktop. I created a devuan4 entry in the efi flash which is used to start this installation.

Went on trying to revive the Beowulf 3.1.0 based installation on P2/P3 of the NVMe. There I am stuck.

I did a new install overwriting the last one. Used runit as init system, the rest being as before, i.e. efi expert install to cli, encrypted LVM with unencrypted boot. First thing that stuck my eye: the installation did not get stuck on the grub prompt but booted fine, the grub splash was shown immediately, I could enter the encryption key and log in as root.

The CD was still enabled in the sources.list, locale at C.UTF-8. Fixed the sources.list as first action. In the efi I found a debian entry holding a grub.cfg, and a devuan entry holding all the usual files including the shimx64.efi. Removed grub-efi-amd64-signed and did a new grub-install --bootloader-id=devuan3 --no-uefi-secure-boot. A new entry devuan3 was generated and points to grubx64.efi as expected. Removed the debian and devuan entries on the file system and cleaned the efi flash with the efibootmgr -b 000x -B.

The modifed setup boots up to the command prompt. Against my expectation, I still have the locale issue, and the efivarfs is not mounted. efibootmgr tells me that this system does not support efi variables. Well, mounted the efivarfs to the usual directory and can read the variables now. efibootmgr points to the correct entry, devuan3 still is present.

Is it possible that runit does forget to mount efivarfs?

rolfie

#5 2021-03-11 18:45:52

Andre4freedom

rolfie,
there is one thing to mention:
If you set the motherboard to CSM mode, then you are well advised to install  in NON-UEFI mode!
If you set the motherboard to UEFI mode, then you MUST disable the "secure boot" option and install in UEFI (EFI) mode.
You can choose the install-mode  when you boot your stick afresh.
The Devuan installers handle these things quite well, usually... so is my experience with it.
I know, it's possible to fiddle with CSM disk mode and EFI boot, or in UEFI mode with classic (CSM) boot. If you succeed, all the better, but expect upgrades, migration or parallel-installs to fail.
I have learned that the hard way: EFI is fine, CSM is fine, but UEFI (secureboot) is a portal to hell.

#6 2021-03-13 12:39:30

rolfie

Got the 3.1.0 with openrc to work, Cinnamon as desktop, efi mode, /boot unencrypted, encrypted LVM for root and swap, separate home.

Despite having a mirror set up, the CDROM still was present in the sources.list. Easy to fix.

The installation booted grub with shimx64.efi. I removed it afterwards.

Locale was fine with this setup.

Would say that runit is experimental in the current status.

rolfie

#7 2021-03-13 16:59:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Note that shimx64.efi will work and allow Secure Boot to be enabled in Devuan but it is hard-coded to use /EFI/debian on the EFI system partition.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#8 2021-03-14 20:30:11

rolfie

@Andre4freedom: I need the hybrid CSM mode with UEFI first to be able to boot the parallel Win7 installation I still need for a few things. When I have more time I should loook into copying the Win7-SSD to a VM. 

@HOAS: I never use Secure Boot. For me all the culprits related to this do not matter. I am happily using EFI mode w/o SB. This allows to use modified efi entries like devuan3/devuan4 for my installations.

The PC is operating now with Beowulf and Chimaera on the new nvme plus the old Win7.

Strange was these locale issues, never had them before.

rolfie

Last edited by rolfie (2021-03-14 20:31:12)

Board footer