tuxd3v

Re: Michaels Devuan Edition *Update*

alphalpha wrote:

i still have not figured out why the download is not working sometimes,
maybe i should upload somewhere else, but at the moment i am not sure where
i wish i had fast internet so i could just seed a torrent all the time

yeah,
I still haven't succeed to download the 12 image.. sad
I have being retrying, eventually I will succeed..

probably they limit the size possible to download to 100-120mb... the image has more than 2 GB big_smile

Best Regards,
tux

#27 2020-12-28 12:21:56

alphalpha

Just upladed Version 2021_01,
from now on there wont be montly updates anymore,
i think there is not much left to do and i am pretty happy with it as it is now.

Programms from other places than the Devuan repo can be updated with the 'update_all' alias.
(Palemoon,  Qutebrowser, Icecat, Shotcut, Deadbeef, youtube-dl)
And the programms that i compiled from source like JWM and BSPWM have been rebuilt with the latest git version, so they are good to go for the next time.

There will only new releases when the next version of Devuan is released, or if someone finds a bug in the installer script
or maybe if gnu hurd 1.0 will ever be reality wink

#28 2020-12-28 23:11:17

zapper

How did you make jwm work like that? How much CPU usage does that use? And could you make a git page with the source code?

This looks awesome, seriously!

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#29 2020-12-31 21:00:03

alphalpha

How did you make jwm work like that?

the font is called 'bebas-neue'

sudo apt install fonts-bebas-neue

for more information, checkout .config/jwm

How much CPU usage does that use?

according to htop it uses 0.0% tongue
the whole system with nothing other open but htop bounces between 1-2% cpu usage and 180-190M ram
since that is in percent, i should mention that this data refers to a 10 year old Thinkpad X201

And could you make a git page with the source code?

okay, im not a big fan of git, but here you go
https://gitlab.com/_alphalpha_/dotfiles
still have not figured out how exactly everything works, but the jwm files are there

i am not sure if it is necessary, but to make sure jwm loads the correct config,
the line where jwm gets started in your .xinitrc should look like this

exec jwm -f $HOME/.config/jwm/jwmrc

also notice that .config/jwm/theme is a symlink to one of the files in .config/jwm/themes/
dont know how git handles symlinks, but in case that does not work, try

ln -s .config/jwm/themes/protogrey .config/jwm/theme

make sure to have a read of .config/jwm/autostart.sh and adjust it to your needs
and to make your wallpaper load, check .config/jwm/wallpaper
you maybe want to change 'xwallpaper --zoom .local/wallpaper.png' to 'nitrogen --restore' or whatever wallpaper setter you use

#30 2020-12-31 21:18:43

alphalpha

since i announced that there wont be frequently new releaes
anyone who actually uses this, could add my gitlab to the newsbeuter rss reader to still get updates on scripts and stuff

https://gitlab.com/_alphalpha_/dotfiles.atom

#31 2021-02-23 00:51:14

LarryDC

Thanks to Leonard's recommendation on SourceForge, I downloaded Michaels-Devuan-Edition-2021_02.iso quite easily and installed it to my hard drive. I gave up trying to change a user name during the install. So I' m running as michael now. I'm only interested in the jwm section. I only use jwm now. WOW! Such easy customization. And all those unknown to me programs to explore! Plus you went to all the trouble of including all those icons. I orinarily run jwm via an Alt-F2 keyed to grun. But with this one I'll be trying all the menu offerings.
2 comments: your update_all is not on this .iso. Also since I need subdirectory tab expansion I dumped the the zsh and change the passwd to /bin/bash. also I use an .xsessionrc file to get my accented and non-accented us layouts anyway... though the "Z" and "Y" switch caught me at first wink
Perhaps because of that $TERMINAL is NOT set so nnn, nano, ranger won't run off the menu. I just did a 46 items replaceall '$TERMINAL'  'rxvt-unicode' in jwm/menu and it's fine now.
Thanks for a great Devuan derivative.

When I get through trying all the programs, I plan write a little blurb on the multiple 'onroots' and what they do. Not sure where to share it though.

Registered Linux User #305687 (Forge jwm, antiX Testing runit jwm, Voidlinux jwm, Sparky Testing jwm, & PCLinuxOS plasma)
i5 8GB RAM & 3 HD + Lenovo Thinkpad T61 w/ 4GB RAM

#32 2021-03-02 12:11:04

alphalpha

Just
uploaded version 2021_03
if anyone uses an older version, i recommend to get this new one

• Fixed a bug in the installer in case the username is changed, now all references in ~ and symlinks will be changed to the new name

• enhaced the update scripts

• qutebrowser and palemoon now run correctly in firejail

• new programms like a gui calendar, pdf-metadata-editor, gemeni browser and more

• recompiled some programs to the latest version

• polybar now has some clicky action

• general updates

• new scripts

• and more

known issues:
when changing the usersame in the installation, qutebrowser will fail to start
to fix this run 'update_qutebrowser --reinstall' in a terminal

i also tested it on the new machine of my brother which is a ryzen something processor and noticed that the X server will not start
i dont know what causes this and i dont have a fix for this now
personally i only run decade old hardware and never had this problem
if anyone knows why, please contact me

@LarryDC
Thanky Larry,
update_all is now working in the new version and the chage username option is also working correctly, i tested it last night
and zsh tab completion is working for me, dont know why it was not working for you
if you still have any of this problems in the new version, please let me know

#33 2021-03-02 14:12:47

LarryDC

Thanks, Michael

I'm grandbaby sitting at the moment and sending this from my phone.
As soon as she naps, I'll  dowload the newer iso and install it.

Larry

Registered Linux User #305687 (Forge jwm, antiX Testing runit jwm, Voidlinux jwm, Sparky Testing jwm, & PCLinuxOS plasma)

#34 2021-03-02 15:39:12

alphalpha

Hey Larry if you change to bash again,
maybe you should do something like

cat .config/zsh/aliases >> ~/.bashrc
cat .config/zsh/functions/update_all.zsh >> ~/.bashrc

maybe check .config/zsh/functions if there is anything else interesting

Greetings

Edit:
and make sure bashrc has this

scriptdir="$HOME/.local/Scripts"

Last edited by alphalpha (2021-03-02 15:49:12)

#35 2021-03-08 22:05:42

LarryDC

Michael,
Sorry I took so long to get back sad  All comments are referring to the JWM WM only.
I'm running  version 2021_03 now. Since the tab completion on directories now is working for me I'll stick to zsh. A lot of more knowledgeable people than I prefer it. Plus I make it my practice when I try out distros to go with what the developer suggests.
Also update_all works fine.
It has now displaced antiX jwm on runit as my top distro. You've got so many apps that run just fine. Plus I could add my "both shifts toggle" to US intl typeMatrix 2030 USB keyboard variant with no problem. the bottom of the screen conky info script I always run fits in fine. I added popups to your cryptic root menus on the panel and got the clock/Date colored nicely. The st terminal I always use with vfu as my filemanager of preference, works great as well.
We work a little differently. I have 24 inch wide screen so I have 10 windows on it overlapping here and there but nothing maximized. I found changing app groups from center to tiled to work better for me.
Of course I may just start relegaing different tasks to one or other of the 9 desktops provided. I still prefer grun to rofi, but I just get to it with Alt-F2. I also changed all those onroots to 0,6,7,8 in order to leave my mouse to clicking not displaying menus.
By the way your configuration menu is fantastic. I love the neoRoyal theme.

A couple of issues though: qutebrowser, which you so favor will not run:
It generates:

Warning: Cannot confine the application using AppArmor.
Maybe firejail-default AppArmor profile is not loaded into the kernel.
As root, run "aa-enforce firejail-default" to load it.
Child process initialized in 77.41 ms
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 183, in _run_module_as_main
    mod_name, mod_spec, code = _get_module_details(mod_name, _Error)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 142, in _get_module_details
    return _get_module_details(pkg_main_name, error)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 109, in _get_module_details
    __import__(pkg_name)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 983, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 967, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 677, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 724, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 857, in get_code
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 525, in _compile_bytecode
ValueError: bad marshal data (unknown type code)

Parent is shutting down, bye...

Then palemoon absolutely will not allow me to login to this site. I tried whitelisting and turning off everything across the bottom of the browser to no avail.

If I run it out of terminal window, while it will run, I get this:

Warning: networking feature is disabled in Firejail configuration file
Parent pid 21626, child pid 21629
Warning: An abstract unix socket for session D-BUS might still be available. Use --net or remove unix from --protocol set.
Child process initialized in 81.33 ms

(pale moon:7): GConf-WARNING **: 16:39:17.547: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
GLib-GIO-Message: 16:39:17.571: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
FoxyProxy settingsDir: /home/larrymich/.config/palemoon/foxyproxy.xml

(pale moon:7): GConf-WARNING **: 16:39:20.732: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")

Perhaps I'm supposed to set up firejail in some way? The suggested "aa-enforce..." command does not call any program.

Thanks again for a GREAT derivative.  If I might help with anything please let me know.
Larry

#36 2021-03-08 22:22:36

LarryDC

qutebrowser DOES work after "update_qutebrowser --reinstall"

Sorry. I just ran it now.

#37 2021-03-09 17:52:44

alphalpha

Thanks for your feedback, Larry

LarryDC wrote:

Then palemoon absolutely will not allow me to login to this site. I tried whitelisting and turning off everything across the bottom of the browser to no avail.

yes i know, but as far as i know this is specific only for this forum, everything else seems to work, at least i have not noticed it anywhere else in the past
maybe the forum admin can have a look at this
i will open a dedicated thread for this

LarryDC wrote:

If I run it out of terminal window, while it will run, I get this:

Warning: networking feature is disabled in Firejail configuration file
Parent pid 21626, child pid 21629
Warning: An abstract unix socket for session D-BUS might still be available. Use --net or remove unix from --protocol set.
Child process initialized in 81.33 ms

(pale moon:7): GConf-WARNING **: 16:39:17.547: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
GLib-GIO-Message: 16:39:17.571: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(pale moon:7): GConf-WARNING **: 16:39:20.732: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:

Perhaps I'm supposed to set up firejail in some way? The suggested "aa-enforce..." command does not call any program.

i am not a firejail expert, but since version 2021_02 i added a custom firejail config for palemoon (and qutebrowser), because there were some issues with the default config
i guess it is okay, palemoon starts and it can only access  ~/Downloads and some other needed directories
the D-bus error is 'normal' for this distro, since there is no dbus installed, i always ignore it and the browser does its thing

LarryDC wrote:

Plus I could add my "both shifts toggle" to US intl typeMatrix 2030 USB keyboard variant with no problem

i just looked up what a typeMatrix 2030 is, it looks glorious
could you eplain what "both shifts toggle" is? i never heard of that

LarryDC wrote:

We work a little differently. I have 24 inch wide screen so I have 10 windows on it overlapping here and there but nothing maximized. I found changing app groups from center to tiled to work better for me.

we work differently indeed, i mostly use my ancient thinkpad with the cursed resolution of 1366x768, so i mainly use i3 in tabbed mode, where always one window is always fullscreen

maybe i should make a little video, where i give a little tour where i show some features and tricks, but im not very good doing videos,
eventually i'll get it done on the weekend

greetings

Last edited by alphalpha (2021-03-09 18:02:02)

#38 2021-03-10 01:09:45

LarryDC

i am not a firejail expert, but since version 2021_02 i added a custom firejail config for palemoon (and qutebrowser), because there were some issues with the default config
i guess it is okay, palemoon starts and it can only access  ~/Downloads and some other needed directories
the D-bus error is 'normal' for this distro, since there is no dbus installed, i always ignore it and the browser does its thing

Yes I noticed that about being restricted to the ~/Downloads directory to save anything. I'll just copy out anything I want to keep to the appropiate directory afterwars with "vfu".

i just looked up what a typeMatrix 2030 is, it looks glorious
could you explain what "both shifts toggle" is? i never heard of that

I write in Spanish and French besides English, so I need accents and ç and ñ. So I run:

setxkbmap -rules evdev -model tm2030USB -layout us,us -variant intl, -option ,grp:shifts_toggle,lv3:ralt_switch,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

The "both shifts" is how I toggle between them.  Your setup seemed to allow for just one keyboard variant & I need 2. I just added it, as an executable script named "acentos" to the end of ~/zprofile. I still can't figure out where your post login menu, in case that might be a better place for it.

we work differently indeed, i mostly use my ancient thinkpad with the cursed resolution of 1366x768, so i mainly use i3 in tabbed mode, where always one window is always fullscreen

I've got a 2007 Lenovo T61 Thinkpad myself (in my signature). I'm going to bump a distro off it and add your Michaels Devuan to it.  I use it when I'm on the road ... obviously not at all this past year sad

maybe i should make a little video, where i give a little tour where i show some features and tricks, but im not very good doing videos,
eventually i'll get it done on the weekend
greetings

Sounds like a great idea.  I'm just going through all your apps to see what they do. Those 3 in ~/.local/bin/ are quite interesting.  Since I'm only on ethernet to the internet and not running a cell phone connection, I don't know that they'll do much though.

Take care, Larry

#39 2021-03-10 12:14:40

alphalpha

LarryDC wrote:

I just added it, as an executable script named "acentos" to the end of ~/zprofile. I still can't figure out where your post login menu, in case that might be a better place for it.

the menu lives in /usr/local/bin/welcome_message.sh
but i would not put it there, it is just a little menu script that calls startx
(itself gets called in the last line of .config/zsh/.zshrc)
i guess .zprofile .xinitrc or .config/zsh/.zshrc are good places for that
(there are already some keyboard options in .xinitrc)

Those 3 in ~/.local/bin/ are quite interesting.  Since I'm only on ethernet to the internet and not running a cell phone connection, I don't know that they'll do much though.

you dont need a cell phone connection for those, they are inteded to be used with an rtl-sdr or any other sdr device
i have not used those particular scripts very much but i actually have a lot of sdr applications installed
(rtl_433, dump1090, gqrx, gnuradio etc)

greetings

Last edited by alphalpha (2021-03-10 12:15:13)

#40 2021-03-10 21:27:54

LarryDC

Maybe you prefer not "su" but when I do in a terminal I get this warning:

[larrymich@i5] ~/ su -                                                        16:07
Password:
zsh compinit: insecure files, run compaudit for list.
Ignore insecure files and continue [y] or abort compinit [n]? yzsh compinit: insecure files, run compaudit for list.
Ignore insecure files and continue [y] or abort compinit [n]? y#

Then as instructed running compaudit:

[root@i5] ~/ compaudit                                                        16:10
There are insecure files:
/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions/_bspc

Too many items get skipped by by-passing the menu, e.g., $TERMINAL. So I don't do that anymore.

Really pleased with the depth of applications included in this iso.  However there are even more commented out in jwm's menu... which I've happily installed.

Take care,
Larry

Last edited by LarryDC (2021-03-11 15:27:18)

#41 2021-03-11 15:51:40

alphalpha

LarryDC wrote:

Too many items get skipped by by-passing the menu, e.g., $TERMINAL. So I don't do that anymore.

#[ "$(pidof Xorg)" ] || main_menu
[ "$(pidof Xorg)" ] || { export WM="jwm" && startx;}

this should do the trick in case you dont want the menu

[root@i5] ~/ compaudit                                                        16:10
There are insecure files:
/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions/_bspc

oh i haven't noticed this before
since you dont use bspwm you can just delete that file
it is only for zsh completions for that bspc command anyways so its not really needed

btw i found the solution for the login problem with palemoon
either click on the eclipsed moon icon in the bottom bar so it becomes red or remove that addon completely

Last edited by alphalpha (2021-03-11 16:01:14)

#42 2021-03-12 21:13:40

LarryDC

Correct: Deleting /usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions/_bspc got rid of the error message on "su" and doesn't affect jwm.
Great to learn the right button to click in Palemoon to be able to log onto this site.

For claws-mail users with a Fastmail email account to get around the built in firewall, use:
imaps-proxy.fastmail.com  port 25
smtps-proxy.fastmail.com port 443
Other ports might work but NOT 993, 587, or 465 ... for obvious reasons.

And should anyone have an old NVIDIA video card needing nvidia-legacy-340xx driver, don't fall for the faster speed of the dotsrc.org (Denmark) repository.  Stick to the default ftp.fau.de (Germany) repository.
dotsrc.org doesn't have the old nvidia-legacy drivers!
Admittedly the 75Hz that the proprietary driver gives you over the 60Hz that the nouveau delivers may not be important to everyone.

Take care,
Larry

#43 2021-03-12 22:09:28

alphalpha

Hey Larry thanks for the mail

Other ports might work but NOT 993, 587, or 465 ... for obvious reasons.

I set the defaul policy to drop anything and only allow the stuff that is in /etc/iptables.conf
In case something is not working for you, you could switch DROP to ACCEPT or just specify the ports you want below
and then reboot or run:

sudo iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.conf
LarryDC wrote:

And should anyone have an old NVIDIA video card needing nvidia-legacy-340xx driver, don't fall for the faster speed of the dotsrc.org (Denmark) repository.  Stick to the default ftp.fau.de (Germany) repository.
dotsrc.org doesn't have the old nvidia-legacy drivers!
Larry

The reason dorsrc.org is not giving you the nvidia drivers is because i forgot to add 'non-free' at the end of the line for that one.

fau.de is actually not the default repo for devuan, but i chose it because it is the best here in germany.
I should have added more mirrors to /etc/apt/sources.list
I just added that to my list for the next release.

You can run 'devuan-mirrorlist' (alias for curl http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/mirror_list.txt) to see all devuan mirrors.
I just tried a few but it looks like the US mirrors are currently not active so i dont know which would be the best for you

http://dev.beard.ly/devuan/merged 

works, but sadly its only http
i guess berkeley.edu would be the best but it says: Active:  New mirror, coming soon.
maybe that will work soon

Happy Hacking

Last edited by alphalpha (2021-03-12 22:22:22)

#44 2021-03-13 00:02:48

LarryDC

If you want to use a network printer via CUPS be sure to include:

-A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 631 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

in /etc/iptables.conf & then as Michael said:

sudo iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.conf

It works nicely for an inexpensive Brother MFC-J775DW color inkjet plugged into my router via ipp://192.168.xx.xx/ipp/port1
Your particular set up will determine the correct address.

With that done, this is now my  main distro and am changing the default grub boot to reflect it.
Thanks again!!

#45 2021-03-14 13:20:53

alphalpha

here is the Demo Video reupload in post #47
thanks for that cups rule, Larry

Last edited by alphalpha (2021-03-14 19:26:30)

#46 2021-03-14 16:03:37

golinux
Administrator

Alas . . . too soft even to identify the language when all my controls are maxed out.  sad

#47 2021-03-14 18:52:33

alphalpha

oh shoot... i'll crank up the gain and do a reupload

Edit:
here is the new link to the Video

Last edited by alphalpha (2021-03-14 19:23:46)

#48 2021-03-14 19:49:09

golinux
Administrator

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Still a little low for me but I could get the general drift of it.  Might be my old ears.  smile  Impressive customization! Your innovative contributions to Devuan are much appreciated.

#49 2021-03-16 19:12:23

LarryDC

Admittedly I have Bose speakers plugged into my rig but the volume after the fix is fine here,

Just a note on palemoon in jwm menu: It was still calling from ~/.local/src not from ~/.local/opt/ as it should now.

update_all worked great.

The update from the Welcome menu is a nice touch as well.

Thanks as always,
Larry

#50 2021-03-28 18:46:11

alphalpha

Version 2021_04 Update
I just finished the latest Version 2021_04 >> Download

It comes with a ton of changes, just to name a few here:

• jack server is working correctly again

• added new update system for scripts

• changed the menu system

• emacs + exwm

• basic bashrc for those who prefer bash

• fixed some file permissions

• fixed typos and broken links

• new yad scripts

• slightly improved installer

• added more apt mirrors

• and much more...

check the Readme.txt if you want to want to change the update command or disable the menu

i know i said this before, but this time for real
this will be the last update until Devuan 4.0 is released

Gitlab - Lbry

Board footer