The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-30 19:14:18

kapqa

nvidia-driver on devuan?

Hello,

i would need to install probably

"nvidia-driver" instead of "nouveau" for getting proper opencl support ? on devuan.

it seems however that the nvidia-driver is installing, but not finding the proper space after reboot (error related to kernel)

my question:

is it possible to install nvidia-driver on devuan (ascii or beowulf) , especially for older cards?

thank you.

#2 2020-09-30 21:15:36

golinux
Administrator

Re: nvidia-driver on devuan?

Maybe give sgfxi a try.

Read more here.

#3 2020-09-30 21:51:17

Altoid

Hello:

kapqa wrote:

... install nvidia-driver on devuan (ascii or beowulf), especially for older cards?

Yes it is.

--->
Before posting, it is good practise to do a forum search to see if the question you need an answer to has already been posted.
For example, I'd say your question has been answered here.

Also, posting in two places asking for a solution regarding the same problem like you did here is not a good idea.
Both posts are related to the same problem ie: installation of nvidia drivers in Devuan ascii / Beowulf.
<---

I had an apparently unsolvable problem with the installation of nvidia drivers in Beowulf, specifically drivers for my twin Quadro FX 580 video cards which need to use the 340xx-legacy (340.108) proprietary drivers.

Do give the whole thread a good read, it is worthwhile information.

The solution came from HevyDevy (post #21) who after analysing the problem took the time to figure out how to install the drivers without the errors I was getting.
I followed his instructions and the problem was gone.

Cheers,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2020-10-01 01:01:24)

#4 2020-10-01 07:55:34

kapqa

Altoid wrote:

Hello:

kapqa wrote:

... install nvidia-driver on devuan (ascii or beowulf), especially for older cards?

Yes it is.

--->
Before posting, it is good practise to do a forum search to see if the question you need an answer to has already been posted.
For example, I'd say your question has been answered here.

Also, posting in two places asking for a solution regarding the same problem like you did here is not a good idea.
Both posts are related to the same problem ie: installation of nvidia drivers in Devuan ascii / Beowulf.
<---

I had an apparently unsolvable problem with the installation of nvidia drivers in Beowulf, specifically drivers for my twin Quadro FX 580 video cards which need to use the 340xx-legacy (340.108) proprietary drivers.

Do give the whole thread a good read, it is worthwhile information.

The solution came from HevyDevy (post #21) who after analysing the problem took the time to figure out how to install the drivers without the errors I was getting.
I followed his instructions and the problem was gone.

Cheers,

A.

Hello,

thank you very much for your help.

Yes, i was too eager and less thorough with posting this time;

it seems a long post, hopefully an easy solution resulted -
i would prefer the 304.xx driver (tend to think older driver is more stable for older cards) but on beowulf the 340.xx applies.

also, the wiki on debian wiki says after install of the necessary package to create a xorg with "nvidia-xconfig" , hope this is also achievable here.

will read later on and install anew with devuan.
does your walkthrough apply also to devuan ascii?

#5 2020-10-01 09:59:48

Altoid

Hello:

kapqa wrote:

thank you ...

You're welcome.

kapqa wrote:

... long post ...

With the solution.  8^7

kapqa wrote:

... prefer the 304.xx driver ...

The nvidia-legacy 340.xx is the last driver with updates from Nvidia and has suffered very little change in the past years.
The cards it is for are no longer manufactured or supported, hence the 'legacy'.
See the link to the nvidia web sire I posted when answering one of your earlier posts.

The information is all there but you have to read it. -> https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=24965#p24965

kapqa wrote:

... debian wiki says ...
... package to create a xorg with "nvidia-xconfig" ...

If you are on a one screen system you probably do not need it.

kapqa wrote:

... does your walkthrough apply ...

It is not my walkthrough.
HevyDevy wrote it up.
It applies to Linux in general.

Cheers,

A.

Board footer