The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-05 23:16:49

Astara

First time install; how do I access rest of packages on DVD(on usb)

Installed from the dvd as copied to a bootable DVD.  Now that I'm logged in, I don't know how to access the DVD I installed from.
It has option to mount it as a CD drive, but it's a USB drive and trying to mount it as a CD didn't work.

So how can I get it to see the original repo I used to install if it is on a USB key, and not on a DVD?

Most of the reason I put it on a USB, was so I didn't have to burn/waste a DVD.  Ideas?

Thanks,

#2 2020-05-06 01:15:57

Astara

Re: First time install; how do I access rest of packages on DVD(on usb)

Update -- found image .. but now it says the media is not signed.  How do I disable the signing requirement since I just installed from it.  Seems odd that it allows installation from it, but not installing packages from it due to a signing constraint (?)

#3 2020-05-06 11:55:34

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2020-05-06 19:29:42

Astara

Thanks much.

I already went for a workaround that raised some new questions.  I managed to get a connection from my new minibox, to the internet and connected to repos on devuan.  When I did, found they were not signed either, but there, I was given option to continue anyway.  What I don't get is why I wasn't offered that option on my local USB copy of it(?).  Weird!

Going to move to another base note, as it's is a different topic.  FWIW, looking through various security notes regarding packaging, I got the impression that allowing unsigned stuff was a temporary hack,  and that in the future it wouldn't be allowed (!!! say what?).  That certainly doesn't sound useful.

#5 2020-05-06 20:21:36

rolfie

Astara wrote:

I already went for a workaround that raised some new questions.  I managed to get a connection from my new minibox, to the internet and connected to repos on devuan.  When I did, found they were not signed either, but there, I was given option to continue anyway.  What I don't get is why I wasn't offered that option on my local USB copy of it(?).

What exactly did you do? sources.list update? HOW did you connect to Devuan? What were the error messages? Please post them here.

rolfie

#6 2020-05-08 05:33:35

Astara

I am not sure I understand your questions...sources.list -- I tried a few things there, but the correct syntax isn't listed and there are no examples in the man pager.  HOW did I connect to Devuan?   Using the internet, how else?  I don't understand the question.  Was I not supposed to be able to?  I mentioned the messages I got.  I didn't know how to access the image on the USB at first, after I found that out it said it skipped that repo because it wasn't signed.  So I started working on setting up an internet connection -- and was able to access them, -- got some message asking if I was sure if I wanted to use that distro as it wasn't signed -- but still had the option to continue.  I wondered why I hadn't gotten that option on my local USB-key copy.  But no more errors than that -- it saying that it wasn't signed  -- until I tried installing Gcc...  Then it said I couldn't because it had uninstallable dependencies.  Forget which ones they were now, but wasn't able to get gcc from the dvd or website to install.

#7 2020-05-08 09:56:54

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Please post the verbatim error messages rather than vague descriptions, it's easier for you and less confusing for us.

#8 2020-05-08 09:58:47

rolfie

Beginner or troll? Can't remember ever having had a not signed message. You are talking in general terms and not telling us the exact command and message and boundary conditions. Please show us your sources.list and the result from apt update. This way we can help. I might also help to understand your intentions. Why do you want to access SW from DVD instead of downloading the up to date stuff from the internet?

Anyhow: which DVD did you use? Complete name or download source.

sources.list readings:
https://devuan.org/os/
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3276

Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from your box?

rolfie

Last edited by rolfie (2020-05-08 19:40:47)

#9 2020-05-09 01:47:13

Astara

I downloaded this:
CDROM/DVD: installs offline without an Internet connection, on page: CDROM/DVD: installs offline without an Internet connection
from https://devuan.org/get-devuan.

I wanted to install offline, since the machine was not in my computer room but in my living room while I was setting it up and I didn't want to string a cable down the hall.  Installing offline worked until I brought up the OS -- I installed minimal then wanted to return to the DVD
to figure out what I wanted to install next.  But that didn't work.

I downloaded the DVD suggested by the text on the install page.  When that didn't work, I strung a cable down the hall to hopefully solve or get around the problem.

The command was the graphical installer.  I'm not sure what you want the graphical installer has a page where you can install from various repos.  One was CD/DVD, but others were pointed at various sites.

When I logged in, I ran the Synaptic Package Manager.

It showed packages at:
packages.devuan.org/duvuan
another at the cdrom[name of release] (not really able to cut/paste yet across desktops)
But I had no cdrom drive...but had installed from a USB drive.

Found that it had been mounted at
file:///media/astara/Devuan2.1/.

Trying to include that source fails:
with a long error on a gui ... saying something like download is unsandboxed as root as file
/media/astara/devuan2.1/dists/ascii/InRelease couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. pkgAcquire::Run (13:Permission denied) ... failed/no release file. 

I didn't run apt update.  I ran Synaptic. 

It certainly will be easier to answer your questions if I get ssh working to log into it, then I can run the console commands and cut/paste, but so far the machine isn't resolving dns.

I added entries to /etc/resolv.conf, and added a default route out to the internet, but the only entries that work right now are ones that manually add to /etc/hosts, which is a bit unuseful.

For someone who's never run debian, I'm finding it hard to figure out how to do basic things.

A command wasn't giving me any output I expected so wanted to see what it was doing by running strace, but I find it isn't on the basic system nor does it seem to be on the install DVD.

It's interesting you see someone who can't cut/paste messages on a new machine, to be a sign of a troll -- is this something you have done before?: trolled some group by posing as a beginner.  I'm curious where you'd get the idea.  I don't think I've ever seen a support forum suspect a new user of being a troll because they couldn't copy things out of a GUI because they had no means of copying or saving the error message -- basically 10 lines of small text.

#10 2020-05-09 08:17:55

rolfie

Thanks, that finally gives at least bit of facts and background to be able to help. You were not disclosing very much in the beginning? We could have been further with a bit more information.

Lets summarise: you successfully got a graphical desktop installed offline from an ASCII DVD and can log in. Not bad. Would you mind telling us which DE you are using? I am Mate user and can support with questions around this, XFCE and others is not my topic.

You do not mind to set up networking? Then first of all lets solve this bit, then we can attack the access to the Devuan repos as second step.

What do you want to use? Wired/wifi? Fixed IP adress or DHCP, IP4/6? Any specials? Any network manager running?

Key setup is in /etc/network/interfaces. Nameserver has to be set in /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts may be useful. Please post the entries there in this thread if you do not get along.

Are you at least a bit familiar on how to get to a root terminal?

rolfie

Edit: something to read. Its from Debian, but most of the stuff is valid for Devuan too.
https://www.debian.org/doc/index.en.html
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ … ex.en.html
https://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfigur … ion%5Cb%29

Last edited by rolfie (2020-05-09 13:44:58)

#11 2020-05-09 09:43:08

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

@Astara: How about you start by revealing the actual name of that file that you somehow downloaded?

#12 2020-05-09 16:09:20

chris2be8

Assuming the network is working run ifconfig on the new system (or /sbin/ifconfig if not running as root). That should tell you what IP address it has. Then ssh to that IP address from the system you are posting from. That should get round DNS not being set up. You may need to start sshd on the new system and/or update the firewall on it to allow ssh connections. Reply "yes" when ssh says it doesn't know the host key.

Then you can run commands on it and post output from them here (include the command itself in your post).

Chris

#13 2020-05-09 18:03:42

Astara

DE: default (xfce), I brought up network using "ip" to talk to Devuan server.
I intend to bring up ssh on a private 2nd interface.  I prefer not to enable ssh and not to login over internet if I can help it.
I use sudo to get my root access normally -- but I could start a terminal when running as root and that would give me a type of root terminal, is that what you meant?

I don't remember the name of the file I downloaded, I could reconstruct what I did by going to a d/l server and finding the DVD, but that doesn't guarantee that the DVD I find will be the same as the DVD I installed with.  It seems the Devuan system image has changed so its likely I'd get a different image, no?

I'm not posting from the system being installed, but from windows desktop that normally sits behind my main server.  Main server is down w/HW on the way to attempt revival.  I've been accessing the devuan machine via a temporary console & kb I hooked up.  As I mentioned (I thought) above, I'm not getting the name resolution I want even though I did configure /etc/resolv.conf.

For longer term network, I may just bring over the script I use on my suse machine (it's not a suse script).  SuSE has gone pretty far off course from when I first installed it about 15 years ago.  While I could maintain upgrading for maybe 10 years with few problems, when systemd came on the scene, all **()#($ broke lose.

Suse changes that have caused me grief:
1) no longer supporting booting directly from disk (going through ramdisk/initrd boot).
2) switching to grub (I still run lilo); lilo is unsupported.
3) disallowing separate partitions for boot-related drives (/usr, /usr/share for example).  I run with several things in separate partitions -- something that used to be considered normal & good practice to minimize disk problems, among other problems.
    Their /usr merge (moving /bin and /sbin to /usr partition) changes have caused ongoing grief as they convert more packages).  Their way of handling files removed from /(root) to /usr, is to leave a symlink in root pointing to the equivalent file in /usr.

It was 'fun' when they started using a 'mount' in /sbin, that had it's libs in /usr/lib64.  The links they left in /lib64 pointed to the /usr partition which hadn't been mounted yet.  But to mount it you needed a working mount.  Fortunately I'd kept a few back-dir copies of /bin /lib64 /sbin...etc, so I could restore an old version that didn't need the libs on /usr (so it could then mount /usr!).

4) I still use the xfs file system everywhere a file system is needed.  Was an early adopter of xfs on linux, as I was working at sgi at the time.  As for suse, it has gone through multiple changes in file systems from disallowing xfs on /boot partition to using brtfs on root to allow easy snapshotting.

5) latest fad is to remove all the release-static config files out of /etc into /usr/share/etc.  Then, supposedly users will eventually be able to put their own modified versions in /etc.  Right now, they are running into bugs of apps accessing standard files in /etc and failing.

6) forgot about what sent me on this side excursion -- but suse also went to renaming all the ethernet ports by hardware connection.  So wrote a bash-script to rename them back to their eth0-5 locations.  They claim names change if you load your drivers in a different order, but what they didn't seem to understand is that ifnames change if you use HW in a different location (move card(s) over a slot or two).  To ensure 'eth0-5' stay the same over time, the script reassigns the proper 'ethx' name based on the cards' physical addresses

I ran into my own probs w/my server having a quadruple or quintiple failure -- not sure if I can recover main disk or not.  Main disk was a RAID10 with 12 data disks of 4t each.  It was also backed up to another "disk" RAID10, of 24x2T disks.  It failed too.  So far unable to recover original RAID10's from even new LSI RAID card.  It appears RAID card I had in place was remanufactured, not new as I had been lead to believe (came in retail box sealed).  But the fault was due to some rocket scientist losing the spring-screws that held the disk-processor's heat-sink.  They tried to get it to stick by using some cement-like epoxy that wasn't a good thermal conductor, and eventually cracked and fell off creating random disk errors and crashes (leaving the data disks in unsettled states.

So I have some exp, in a different distro...but not used to devuan/debian nuances (what files config what and what is included in base).

Network & config changes I make now will likely change when this new machine is put in place (its not a sever replacement) where it will perform some borderwall tasks (DNS, email net-time).

Still don't know what package distro I need to point at to be able to install dev tools like gcc&friends.  The gcc6 on the disk won't install due to missing prereqs (multiple).  And I have no clue where 'strace' lives these days... sigh.

BTW, I'll show my bash script that re-assigns their 'normal', 'ethX' names and re-orders them to the order I expect (a fixed order) by appending it here, since I don't see a way to include it as a file: pasting w/original tabs; my tabstops set at '2'.  Some things are now read in from files (that were hard coded (see bottom comment examples)):

-----

#!/bin/bash  -u
#boot.assign_network_names
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:           net-devices
# Required-Start:     boot.usr-mount boot.udev boot.device-mapper boot.localfs
# Required-Stop:      
# Default-Start:       B
# Default-Stop:        
# Short-Description:   reorder and rename net devices
# Description:         reorder and rename net devs if needed
### END INIT INFO
################################################################################
# assign network names as rc-script
# 	L A Walsh, (free to use/modify/distribute to nice people) (c) 2013-2014
# gvim=:SetNumberAndWidth

declare Prog=${0##*/}; _prgdr=${0%/*}
[[ ${_prgdr:0:1} != / ]] && _prgdr=$PWD"/$_prgdr"
export PATH="$_prgdr:$_prgdr/lib:$PATH"
typeset -f include >&/dev/null || source ${_LOCAL_DIR:=/etc/local}/bash_env.sh

export PATH="/etc/local/bin:/etc/local/bin/lib:$PATH"
export PS4='>${BASH_SOURCE:+${BASH_SOURCE[0]/$HOME/\~}}#${LINENO}${FUNCNAME:+(${FUNCNAME[0]})}> '

#include stdalias >&/dev/null || { 
#	echo >&2 "Fatal: cannot load extensions."
#	exit 1
#}
shopt -s expand_aliases
alias my='declare '  array='my -a '  map='my -A '  int='my -i '
alias	Pf=printf  					Pv=printf\ -v

my cfg_fn="/etc/local/cfg/NetIF_names"

[[ -f $cfg_fn ]] || {
	echo "Cannot find required config file: $cfg_fn"; exit 1; }

# expected variables to be read in
array needed_drivers=()
array Linknames=()
array Default=()
map if2hw=()

. $cfg_fn || { echo "Error in reading config file $cfg_fn"; exit 2; }

# new style network names need to be handled:
# enp5s0f0 enp5s0f1		(ixgbe)
# enp3s0f0 enp3s0f1		(e1000)
# eno1 eno2						(on-board broadcom)

DfltRE="^+(${Default_good[@]})$"
DfltRE=${DfltRE// /|}

declare -a down_ln=()
for ln in "${Linknames[@]}"; do
	[[ $DfltRE =~ $ln ]] && continue;
	down_ln+=($ln)
done

map hw2if

for intf in "${!if2hw[@]}" ; do
	addr=${if2hw[$intf]}	
	hw2if[$addr]="$intf"
done

############# end read config ######

#include rc.status  -- essential funcs included below:
int rc_status=0
rc_reset() { rc_status=0; }

rc_status () { 
	rc_status=$?;
	if ((rc_status))  && { (($#)) && [[ $1 = -v ]] ; }; then
		echo "Abnormal rc_status was $rc_status." 
	elif (($#)) && [[ $1 = -v ]] ; then
		echo "rc_status: ok"
	fi
}

rc_exit () {
	rc_status=$?;
	rc_status
	exit $rc_status
}

warn()  { local msg="Warning: ${1:-"general"}"
	printf "%s" >&2 "$msg"
}

die()  { int stat=$?; local msg="Error. ${1:-"unknown"}"
	echo "$msg (errno=$stat)" >&2
	(exit $stat);													#sets $? (doesn't exit inside ()
	rc_status -v 
	rc_exit
	exit $stat														# exit unless die called in subshell
}

sysfs=/sys
sysnet=$sysfs/class/net

[[ -d $sysfs && -d $sysnet ]] ||
sysnet=$sysfs/class/net
sys_modules=$sysfs/module

if [[ -z $(type -P modprobe) ]]; then 	# verify find of modprobe
	export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:$PATH
fi

if [[ -n $(type -P modprobe) ]]; then 	# if found, alias it
	alias modprobe="$(type -P modprobe)"
else																		# only throw error if needed
	alias modprobe="die 'cannot load required modules'"
fi

if [[ -z $(type -P ip ) ]]; then				# ip is needed, so no delayed error
	die "Cannot find 'ip' util -- needed for network setup"
fi

if [[ -z $(type -P brctl ) ]]; then			# brctl is needed, so no delayed error
	die "Cannot find 'brctl' util -- needed for network setup"
fi

alias _ip="$(type -P ip)"
alias _br="$(type -P brctl)"

ip () {
	_ip "$@"
	my status=$?
	if ((status));then
		:
	fi
	return $status
}

varflags() {												# util: get dcl flags of a var
	my var="${1:-""}"
	read out <<<$(declare -p "$var" )
	[[ $out =~ /^declare.*=.*$/ ]] || die "no such variable"
	out="${out%% +([^-])=*}"
	out="${out#declare }"
	[[ ${out:0:1} == - ]] || { echo ""; return 0 ; }
	echo "${out#-}"
}

isarray() {													# util: chk if pass name is an array
	my name="${1:-""}"
	flags=$(varflags $name)
	[[ $flags =~ a ]] && return 0
	return 1
}

ipcmd()  {					# unused/incomplete
	my ipcmd="${1:?}"; shift; array tmpbuff
	my outbuff="${2:-tmpbuff}"
}

rev()  {						# reverse elements of a list, 1/iteration (recursive)
	(($#==0)) && { echo ""; return 0 ;}
	my element=${1:?}; shift;
	(($#==0)) && { echo "$element"; return 0;}
	echo "$(rev "$@") $element"
}

rename_if()  {
	my old_name=${1:?} new_name=${2:?}
	echo ip link set name "$new_name" dev "$old_name"
	ip link set name "$new_name" dev "$old_name"
}

down_if()  {
	my if_name=${1:?}
	echo ip link set down dev "$if_name"
	ip link set down dev "$if_name"
}

set_links_down() {									# can't operate on up links
	for int in "${down_ln[@]}"; do
		down_if "$int"
	done
}

vrfy_drivers()  {
	int errors=0;
	for i in ${needed_drivers[@]} ; do
		if [[ ! -d $sys_modules/$i ]]; then	# check for loaded or static drivers
			modprobe "$i" || {
				warn "Module $i is not in kernel and can't be loaded"
				errors+=1
			}
		fi
	done
	return $errors
}

map act_hw2if=()												#actual values (to be read in)
map act_if2hw=()
map XIF=()															#tmp array to hold exchanged IF's

get_net_IFnames_hwaddrs()  {				# get names + addrs from /sys
	vrfy_drivers
	array pseudo_devs=(br bond ifb team)
	my pseudo_RE="^+(${pseudo_devs[@]})$"
	my pseudo_RE=${pseudo_RE// /|}
	my netdev_pat="+([_0-9a-z])+([0-9])"
	( cd "$sysnet" && 
		for nm in $( echo $netdev_pat); do
      [[ $pseudo_RE =~ $nm ]] && continue
			hwaddr="$(<$nm/address)"
			echo "$nm" "$(<$nm/address)"
		done )
}

read_actuals()  {										# parse output stream from above
	my ifname hwaddr
	while read ifname hwaddr; do
		act_hw2if["$hwaddr"]="$ifname"
		act_if2hw["$ifname"]="$hwaddr"
	done < <(get_net_IFnames_hwaddrs)
}

ifaddr_cmd()  {
	if ((${#act_hw2if[@]:-0}==0)) ;then read_actuals; fi
	for ifname in $(printf "%s\n" "${act_hw2if[@]}"|sort|tr "\n" " ") ; do
		my first_ifn="$ifname"
		if [[ $ifname =~ \+ ]] ; then 
			first_ifn="${ifname%%+*}"
		fi
		printf "%s\t%s\n" "$ifname" "${act_if2hw["$first_ifn"]}"
	done
}

ifmap_cmd()  { ifaddr_cmd "$@" ; }

remap_cmd()  {											# remap devnames if needed
	if ((${#act_hw2if[@]}==0)); then read_actuals; fi
	my key="" ifname=""
	int count=0 

array ifnames=($(printf "%s\n" "${!if2hw[@]}"|sort|
										grep -P '^[^~+]*$' |tr "\n" " "))

array rev_ifns=($(rev "${ifnames[@]}" ))

for key in "${rev_ifns[@]}"; do
		int is_regex=0;  
		ifname=$key
		if [[ ${key:0:1} == ~ ]];then ifname=${key:1}; is_regex=1; fi

my hwaddr="" actual_hw="" actual_if=""

hwaddr="${if2hw["$key"]:-""}"

actual_hw=${act_if2hw["$ifname"]:-""}
		[[ ! $actual_hw ]] && actual_hw=$hwaddr

actual_if=${act_hw2if["$actual_hw"]:-}

int direct_rename=0
		if [[ ! ${if2hw["$actual_if"]:-} ]]; then direct_rename=1; fi

if [[ ${actual_hw:-""} ]] && ! [[ $actual_hw =~ \+ ]]; then 		##
			if ((is_regex)) && [[ $actual_hw =~  $hwaddr ]]; then
				continue
			elif  [[ $actual_hw == $hwaddr ]] && [[ $actual_if == $ifname ]]; then
				continue
			fi

if [[ ! ${act_if2hw["$ifname"]:-} ]]; then
				down_if		"$actual_if"
				rename_if "$actual_if" "$ifname" ; count+=1
			elif ((direct_rename)); then
				down_if		"$actual_if"
				rename_if "$actual_if" "$ifname";	 count+=1
			else
				rename_if "$actual_if" "X$ifname";	#don't count temp renames 2x
				XIF["X$ifname"]="$hwaddr"
			fi; set +x

fi
	done
	if ((count)); then echo "$count interfaces renamed"; fi
	if	((${#XIF[@]}==0)); then 
		echo "HW interfaces now in order."
		return 0
	fi
	count=0
	for ifname in "${!XIF[@]}"; do 
		hwaddr=${XIF[$ifname]}; 
		ifname=${ifname#X}
		my destname=${hw2if[$hwaddr]}
		rename_if "$ifname" "$destname" ; count+=1
	done
	printf "%d interface%s renamed\n" $count "$( (($count!=1)) && echo "s" )"
}

start_cmd()  { remap_cmd "$@"; }

stop_cmd()  { :; }

map switches=([ifmap]=1 [remap]=1 [start]=1 [stop]=1)

help()  {
	echo "$Prog:"
	echo "Options: ifmap  - show current hw# -> IF map"
  echo "         remap  - verify & remap ifnames if needed"
	return 1
}

if (($#)) ; then 

my op="${1#:-}"

if [[ ${switches[$op]:-} ]]; then 
		cmd="${op}_cmd"
		shift
		$cmd "$@"

else 
		echo "Unknown switch :-$op"
		help
	fi
else 
	help
fi

# vim: ts=2 sw=2 number fdm=marker fdc=1

#/etc/sysconfig/assign_netif_names - sample config
# to be sourced by BASH
######
# assign_netif_names reads this at boot to learn of a users 
# desired network naming (and ordering)

#needed_drivers=(e1000e bnx2 ixgbe)      # (list builtin as well as modules)

# Note -- using brace_expansions
#Linknames=( $(echo eth{0..5}) )

# Links that we _expect_ will come up with right names (built-mods)
#Default_good=( $(echo eth{0..1}) )

# store as hash, with intfname as key and it's ethernet addr as the data
#	if2hw=([eth0]="00:15:17:bf:be:b2" [eth1]="00:15:17:bf:be:b3"
#				 [eth2]="00:26:b9:48:71:e2" [eth3]="00:26:b9:48:71:e4"
#				 [eth4]="a0:36:9f:15:c9:c0" [eth5]="a0:36:9f:15:c9:c2" )

# vim: ts=2 sw=2 number fdm=marker fdc=1

-----

Last edited by Astara (2020-05-10 20:45:51)

#14 2020-05-09 22:14:06

GlennW

you want "build-essentials" package to get started with gcc install.

When installing I also like to be offline, so I copy the pool dir from the iso to someplace safe that I can search and install from.

I have developed some dumb scripts (dpkg -i ...)that just install stuff so I can use the system to do other tasks.

ie. /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/

dpkg -i /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/a/autotools-dev/autotools-dev_20180224.1_all.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/m/m4/m4_1.4.18-2_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/a/automake-1.16/automake_1.16.1-4_all.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/a/autoconf/autoconf_2.69-11_all.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/libs/libsigsegv/libsigsegv2_2.12-2_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/b/build-essential/build-essential_12.6_amd64.deb

this is probably not going to help you unless you change the locations of the files... But, just as an example... gcc

dpkg -i --auto-deconfigure /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/cpp-8_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/g++-8_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/gcc-8-base_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/gcc-8_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/gfortran-8_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libasan5_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libatomic1_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libcc1-0_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libgcc-8-dev_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libgcc1_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libgfortran-8-dev_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libgfortran5_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libgomp1_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libitm1_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/liblsan0_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libmpx2_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libobjc4_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libquadmath0_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libstdc++-8-dev_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libstdc++6_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libtsan0_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gcc-8/libubsan1_8.3.0-6_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/l/linux/linux-compiler-gcc-8-x86_4.19.98-1_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/i/isl/libisl19_0.20-2_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/m/mpfr4/libmpfr6_4.0.2-1_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/b/binutils/binutils-common_2.31.1-16_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/b/binutils/binutils-x86-64-linux-gnu_2.31.1-16_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/b/binutils/binutils_2.31.1-16_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/b/binutils/libbinutils_2.31.1-16_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/m/mpfr4/libmpfr6_4.0.2-1_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/m/mpclib3/libmpc3_1.1.0-1_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.28-10_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/glibc/locales_2.28-10_all.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/glibc/locales-all_2.28-10_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/glibc/libc-bin_2.28-10_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/glibc/libc-l10n_2.28-10_all.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/glibc/libc6-dev_2.28-10_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/glibc/libc-dev-bin_2.28-10_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/l/linux/linux-libc-dev_4.19.98-1_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs/pool/DEBIAN/main/o/openssl/libssl-dev_1.1.1d-0+deb10u2_amd64.deb /home/glenn/local/archive/src/apt/debs-ascii2.1/amd64/libelf-dev_0.176-1.1_amd64.deb

edit... # auto-deconfigure for libmpc3

I hope this helps you.

Last edited by GlennW (2020-05-09 22:15:31)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#15 2020-05-10 08:46:51

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Astara wrote:

I added entries to /etc/resolv.conf

What exactly did you add the /etc/resolv.conf?

Astara wrote:

I could start a terminal when running as root and that would give me a type of root terminal

That's just silly, use sudo -i to start a "root terminal".

Astara wrote:

my bash script that re-assigns their 'normal', 'ethX' names

That is entirely irrelevant for this thread but if you must post long scripts then please use code tags, guide here: https://dev1galaxy.org/help.php#bbcode

And anyway why not just use the net.ifnames=0 kernel parameter to force the traditional interface nomenclature? Note that this is not needed for Devuan, which uses the old style naming scheme by default.

#16 2020-05-10 21:18:46

Astara

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Astara wrote:

I added entries to /etc/resolv.conf

What exactly did you add the /etc/resolv.conf?

~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.3.1
nameserver 75.75.75.75 
#nameserver 8.8.8.8

domain sc.xxyz.org
#domain xxyz.org
sortlist 192.168.3.0/24 0.0.0.0/0
options rotate no-check-names edns0

Mimicking my opensuse file contents.

Astara wrote:

I could start a terminal when running as root and that would give me a type of root terminal

That's just silly, use sudo -i to start a "root terminal".

I'm used to sudo (no need for extra -i) giving me a "root prompt", which I don't see as being the same as a "root terminal" -- at least not in the GUI where I am working.  I thought I was asked for a "terminal that was owned by root" -- not just a root prompt. Did you really mean a prompt and not a terminal?

Astara wrote:

my bash script that re-assigns their 'normal', 'ethX' names

That is entirely irrelevant for this thread but if you must post long scripts then please use code tags, guide here: https://dev1galaxy.org/help.php#bbcode

Updated.  I was so engrossed in trying to find the attachment option, that I forgot about bbcode-formatting options. 

And anyway why not just use the net.ifnames=0 kernel parameter to force the traditional interface nomenclature? Note that this is not needed for Devuan, which uses the old style naming scheme by default.

Maybe because Devuan doesn't do that is why you don't know that it doesn't work on a system with some udev daemons that are configured to use the new scheme (maybe because its preferred by systemd?  Dunno).  It does explain why, in my boot logs, I see the kernel giving names 'eth0/1' with them later being renamed to their HW specific names (likely when udevd is started). 

Note, in my lilo.conf, I have:

append = "root=/dev/sdc1 rw showopts console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 ele
vator=noop pcie_ports=native reboot=bios printk.time=1 initcall_debug i8042.noau
x net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0" 
    root = /dev/sdc1

I may be wrong, but I think my script works in either case, however setting net.ifnames=0 doesn't create a fixed order for those devices loaded via modules.  How does Devuan keep those in a consistent order, or does it?  I know opensuse did not, and you'd have to add rules to udevd to look at their device-id to arrange them in a fixed order (rather obtuse, imo).

Last edited by Astara (2020-05-10 21:23:09)

#17 2020-05-12 16:08:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Astara wrote:

How does Devuan keep those in a consistent order

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

The net.ifnames=0 parameter works in Arch and is recommended by freedesktop.org[1], not sure why it doesn't work for you in openSUSE hmm

#18 2020-05-12 19:40:27

Astara

I wonder, is systemd compatible with Freedesktop.org -- I know they threw LSB support under the bus. Note -- the *kernel* did the right thing.  It was after 'udevd' (now a part of systemd) that changed the names to the location-specific name.  I'm wondering -- does Freedesktop use systemd's udevd?  If it does, that would imply it also looks at the boot option for the 'use-ethX' option.  If that's true, then personally I'd look at opensuse's source as they've been known to keep specific behaviors in their source that weren't upstream compatible, but that's pure speculation.

My first focus is recovering my main computer's "hard drive".  After that, if I remember, might try to track that down.

The ordering feature appears very much like the one you say is in devuan.  The problem I had with that was any sort of movement or upgrade in my network cards -- which would fail the rename test.  Since most people at suse no longer use that, the information's location becomes harder to find and change.  Whereas the script that loads and orders the netif's does so from /etc/local/cfg/NetIF_names -- not requiring knowing udev rules, ordering, syntax or locations (maybe only important for me in that it was one less thing to remember).  Also, a guess , I think more people know bash syntax than udev details, though someday it may use some sort of autoconfig as it can look at the link/ether output in 'ip link'.

I find myself, more and more using more self-compiled packages without the systemd-compat switch.  For sw-pieces that have merged into the general systemd source, for the past few years, I've been 'not caring' -- just using pre-systemd sources.  Tbh, I try to spend as little time on this as possible these days, as repairing damage done by opensuse in the name of systemd or otherwise really doesn't interest me that much these days.

BTW, things opensuse does -- wondering how devuan does and/or will cares about how I'm doing things:

1) suse requires /usr to be on root because systemd does too much of what used to be in /usr to allow it to be separated -- as a result, legacy users are only supported via a ramdisk (initrd).  My solution has been an init script in boot.d (a pseudo run level) that does HW initialization.  Good/Bad, I was able to boot my sys even though disk orders changed and most of my data became inaccessible (/usr/share /home /opt, to name a few).  Quite a few things don't work without /usr/share.

2) their latest mission is to move all the unmodified /etc files in /usr/share/etc with a symlink in /etc/ to the version on share.  That would have been a weak point in my booting w/o share if I allowed those changes to remain.  My solution to that is running through directories needed for boot and verifying the links don't have "to be resolved on a child disk" dependencies.

First ran into that when mount was libified and the libs were put in /usr/lib64 w/symlinks in /lib64 (and mount in /{,s}bin).  That was way fun the first time I ran into it.

Thanks for the followup.

*cheers*

Last edited by Astara (2020-05-13 04:23:29)

#19 2020-05-13 16:43:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Astara wrote:

I wonder, is systemd compatible with Freedesktop.org

Yes.

Astara wrote:

1) suse requires /usr to be on root because systemd does too much of what used to be in /usr to allow it to be separated -- as a result, legacy users are only supported via a ramdisk (initrd).  My solution has been an init script in boot.d (a pseudo run level) that does HW initialization.  Good/Bad, I was able to boot my sys even though disk orders changed and most of my data became inaccessible (/usr/share /home /opt, to name a few).  Quite a few things don't work without /usr/share.

2) their latest mission is to move all the unmodified /etc files in /usr/share/etc with a symlink in /etc/ to the version on share.  That would have been a weak point in my booting w/o share if I allowed those changes to remain.  My solution to that is running through directories needed for boot and verifying the links don't have "to be resolved on a child disk" dependencies.

Debian buster already installs new systems with the /usr merge by default, I'm not sure how beowulf will handle this but the package is already in the repositories:

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/stage/beowul … ge_21.html

Stateless systems ftw! tongue

#20 2020-05-13 17:25:25

golinux
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Astara wrote:

I wonder, is systemd compatible with Freedesktop.org

Yes.

I thought the systemd crew was running Freedesktop.org.

#21 2020-05-13 19:24:18

fsmithred
Administrator

Debian buster already installs new systems with the /usr merge by default, I'm not sure how beowulf will handle this but the package is already in the repositories:

In beowulf expert install, it asks if you want /usr merge or not, with default set to not. In regular install, you get the default (not).

#22 2020-05-13 20:30:24

Astara

What's different about beowulf v. ascii? 
Maybe I should switch to beowulf if it has option to disable /usrmerge.

Why did ascii go with a forced usr mrg when it isn't being forced on beowulf?

Uh..
So, of course, /usr/share is expected to be on the root disk as well?  All of the package documentation (not just man, but everything), is in share including 7-8G of fonts, keyboard maps...the combined total was huge.

Having things on /root necessary to boot seemed more flexible, since rescue disks are near worthless for running progs on the disk given matching version requirements, sometimes even kernel requirements.  :-(

#23 2020-05-13 20:32:31

Astara

GlennW wrote:

you want "build-essentials" package to get started with gcc install.

Where might I find that?

The problem I have is that gcc6 is at 6.3.0-18+deb9u1.

But my libc, for some reason claims it has current version of 6.3.0-18+deb9u4 with upgrade of 6.3.0-18+deb9u1 avail (but not selectable).

so how did deb9u4 (ver on libc) get on ascii main install ( and u1 end up in a security install). and how did libc get out of phase with gcc6?  Also, it seems odd to me that version u1 is upgrade for version u4. 

Also, annoyingly, have gotten ability to ping machine with local machines, OR have it hooked to internet, but not both at same time (yet)...they are on two different ports, but having weird n/w probs rt now -- can't get main machine to masquerade with script used for many years, so not sure what's changed.

FWIW, sometimes (often?) when I report something it may have incomplete info because either I think others might recognize the problem, OR I don't know the details yet OR would take too long to manually type them in.  After I've given up for a bit, I can usually supply more details.  My workspace wasn't meant for m

#24 2020-05-13 21:09:07

golinux
Administrator

@Astara . . . Do you by any chance have "testing" in your sources.list?  If, yes you might have pulled in Debian Bullseye.  Always use the Devuan release name in your sources.

#25 2020-05-14 01:58:12

GlennW

you may find build-essential package on the dvd image... pool/DEBIAN/main/b/build-essential/

"build-essential - Informational list of build-essential packages"

IDK about the versioning.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

Board footer