#126 2020-04-10 08:21:18

Geoff 42

Re: Beowulf Beta is here!

golinux wrote:

It already is in a "normal" installation:
https://beta.devuan.org/os/packages

The above link says :-

Devuan 3.0.0 Beowulf (stable)

I thought that ASCII is still stable and that Beowulf is testing.

Have I missed an announcement?

Geoff

Last edited by Geoff 42 (2020-04-10 08:21:43)

#127 2020-04-10 10:45:14

fsmithred
Administrator

Geoff,

You didn't miss any announcements. When beowulf goes stable, the beta web pages you're looking at will replace the current pages on the main website.

#128 2020-04-10 10:49:53

Geoff 42

Thank you!

I had failed to spot that the web pages, themselves, were beta!

Geoff

#129 2020-04-14 06:41:01

stripy

Hi,

I don't know whether it is an installer bug, I report it just in case: I have installer Beowulf on 2 machines, one using the 'desktop' ISO and one using the 'netinstall' ISO. Everything worked quite well with 'desktop', but the 'netinstall' installer asks twice for the timezone and incorrectly configures it to be UTC.

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata fixes the thing, but the difference in behavior seemed strange to me.

Another issue I had is that I believed non-free firmware was included in the installer images, but apparently not all of them. In particular, it would be interesting to include all WiFi firmware (firmware-iwlwifi was missing in my case) as nowadays, laptops tend to have no RJ45 plug, only WiFi. It wasn't blocking for me because I have an USB to Ethernet adapter, but I guess not everyone has one.

Lastly, Beowulf looks slow. I have made no benchmark, it has just occurred me as an overall experience. Maybe the kernel used by the beta release is compiled with debug options, or that sort of thing? I'm using OpenRC, I'll make another test with SysV to see if t has an impact, though I can't see why it would.

#130 2020-04-14 09:56:14

Marjorie

I installed Beowulf on a new Intel NUC with the desktop iso and expert install and choosing Cinnamon as my Desktop.
In the installer I specified the time zone and told the hardware clock to use UTP and the system to use NTP.

As reported elsewhere I initially had problems getting onto the network/internet.
However once this was sorted I ended up with the correct timezone but an inaccessible clock (controls greyed out in the Cinnamon settings) and the wrong time shown.

Installing chrony fixed the issue but I remain puzzled what the problem was: presumably it was in the default NTP setup.

Last edited by Marjorie (2020-04-14 09:56:40)

#131 2020-04-16 02:46:08

wingcommander1999

Marjorie wrote:

I installed Beowulf on a new Intel NUC with the desktop iso and expert install and choosing Cinnamon as my Desktop.
In the installer I specified the time zone and told the hardware clock to use UTP and the system to use NTP.

As reported elsewhere I initially had problems getting onto the network/internet.
However once this was sorted I ended up with the correct timezone but an inaccessible clock (controls greyed out in the Cinnamon settings) and the wrong time shown.

Installing chrony fixed the issue but I remain puzzled what the problem was: presumably it was in the default NTP setup.

Do not forget to add the latest Intel firmware for your NUc to be 100% operational.

sudo apt install intel-microcode -y

Last edited by wingcommander1999 (2020-04-16 02:46:24)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 - 4x8GB DDR4 - SSD 1,5TO - GTX1660TI 6GB - PSU Gigabyte 750W Gold - Zalman X3 White
Devuan / W11

#132 2020-04-18 15:37:49

Marjorie

Thanks for the tip.

Not sure why this isn't being installed automatically - I do have it on my 'other' PC, installed originally from the same Desktop iso, and that PC has an AMD processor.

Equally I'm puzzled why I ended up with a whole bundle of NVIDIA video driver packages installed on my Intel NUC, which were then attempting to install themselves.

#133 2020-04-29 03:38:18

zapper

At some point, can you add the package  LibreSSL to Devuan?  That would be more secure and lighter on resources then OpenSSL.  smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#134 2020-05-01 07:34:41

darry1966

In Beowulf I type the command dpkg-reconfigure tzdata and I get command not found??? any ideas??

#135 2020-05-01 07:48:36

darry1966

Ok deb-conf is installed so saw this issue..

Applied below in terminal - fixed.

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin

Reference: https://medium.com/@ehsan.nazim/bash-dp … c89ae84a75

Last edited by darry1966 (2020-05-01 07:49:51)

#136 2020-05-01 14:35:29

golinux
Administrator

@darry1966 . . . That issue is also covered in the Beowulf Release Notes, on this forum and on the Devuan-related MLs.

#137 2020-05-01 21:37:06

mrnhmath

Been enjoying the beta so far except for one thing: the mix of gtk2 and gtk3 across the desktop components. What can be done about this? Should we override upstream and build xfce4 with gtk2 instead?

#138 2020-05-01 21:48:02

golinux
Administrator

mrnhmath wrote:

Should we override upstream and build xfce4 with gtk2 instead?

lol lol lol lol lol

Just who is the "we" that you propose should undertake this enormous task?  "We" are overworked and understaffed and our mission is to deal with systemd encroachments not everyone's personal wish list.  File a "bug" upstream with Xfce for starts.

#139 2020-05-01 22:17:58

mrnhmath

golinux wrote:
mrnhmath wrote:

Should we override upstream and build xfce4 with gtk2 instead?

lol lol lol lol lol

Just who is the "we" that you propose should undertake this enormous task?  "We" are overworked and understaffed and our mission is to deal with systemd encroachments not everyone's personal wish list.  File a "bug" upstream with Xfce for starts.

Sorry if I came off as pushy, it wasn't my intention. By "we" I meant that some folks here seem to share this opinion, so it could be something for discussion.

#140 2020-05-02 01:58:08

darry1966

Well dpkg appears broken, though I overcame dpkg-reconfigure tzdata I found using Gdebi-gtk or dpkg-i to install .deb packages gave an error message about something missing /usr/sbin.

Anyway overall for a beta very useable and fast on this Compaq CQ61.

#141 2020-05-02 03:31:48

golinux
Administrator

@darry1966 . . .  the path is different in Beowulf.  Please read the first post on this thread and the Release Notes.

#142 2020-05-02 19:48:23

fsmithred
Administrator

beta2 live isos are up. Libreoffice now opens in a live session.

Newer version of release notes is there, too.

#143 2020-05-03 06:46:22

danista

fsmithred wrote:

beta2 live isos are up.

If it is possible to post isos using jigdo, I will download and testing.

#144 2020-05-03 11:37:59

HevyDevy

I tested out the latest netinstall amd64 iso dated 26/4 and not sure if i missed a step or stuffed up the step, but it seems the installer completely misses dpkg-reconfigure locales. Had to manually fix this once installed to disk.

#145 2020-05-03 13:23:34

dev-1-dash-1

fsmithred wrote:

beta2 live isos are up.

My experience:

Boot iso from hdd using grub:
Almost immediate freeze on "booting smp configuration". Hard poweroff helps.
In the upper part of the screen I see messages regarding microcode. Bad microcode loaded or my cpu not supported?

Boot from real dvd:
Starts ok, gets to loading lvm vgroups, spews out the "/dev/sdX not initialized after ...", ctrl-c cancels it, boots to desktop and hard freezes immediately after showing the xfce desktop.

Would like to point out: I have an installation of beowulf (created using debootstrap) on this machine which I think may become my main system on main box real soon now. It works very well, so I know all my hw is supported.

#146 2020-05-04 17:02:53

fsmithred
Administrator

No jigdo. There's a torrent, but probably not a lot of seeders yet.

I can't boot the live iso from hard disk, not with beowulf and not with ascii. Will have to try on a different computer. It used to work.

I'm looking into the udev bug with the repeated warnings. The problem only shows up occasionally for me, so that makes it impossible to try anything. If you're getting it every time, please try adding rootdelay=5 to the boot command to see if that prevents it from happening. Thanks.

#147 2020-05-04 18:41:46

dev-1-dash-1

fsmithred wrote:

I can't boot the live iso from hard disk, not with beowulf and not with ascii. Will have to try on a different computer. It used to work.

I'm looking into the udev bug with the repeated warnings. The problem only shows up occasionally for me, so that makes it impossible to try anything. If you're getting it every time, please try adding rootdelay=5 to the boot command to see if that prevents it from happening. Thanks.

Just to clarify, rootdelay=5 is to be added to the kernel command line. I do this by pressing 'e' in grub menu and adding it to the end, right after the path to isofile.

Added it, and was able to boot from hdd, but not from dvd (there I need to press tab to edit the command line).
Tried it a few times - same result. Works from hdd, but not from the dvd.

After that I tried again, without the rootdelay=5 parameter and still the same - booted ok from hd, but not from dvd. Yesterday I wasn't able to boot at all from hdd, but today it works, with or without the rootdelay parameter.

I never get the "/dev/sdx not registered.." error when booting from hdd, with or without the extra parameter.
I always get the "/dev/sdx not registered.." error when booting from dvd.

One more thing: when booting from dvd, I press ctrl-c to get rid of the error. It works. But when desktop appears, at first I thought I had a hard freeze, but no, system works, it's just the mouse and keyboard not working. The clock on the taskbar keeps changing every minute - so system works, but keyboard/mouse do not.

The keyboard works initially, because ctrl-c helps to get rid of udev error, but stops working sometime during boot to desktop phase.

I tried booting into single user mode to see if I can maybe inspect some logs - it works, and keyboard also works, but I don't know the root password. 'devuan' doesn't work. After I press ctrl-d to get out of the single user mode, the boot continues, goes to runlevel 2, and again the desktop appears but mouse and keyboard aren't working.

PS this message itself was sent from a working beowulf install. I don't see any problems with the system.

#148 2020-05-04 19:02:23

fsmithred
Administrator

root password is toor

Also, sudo works without password in the live session.

#149 2020-05-04 22:14:43

dev-1-dash-1

fsmithred wrote:

root password is toor

Also, sudo works without password in the live session.

I can't use sudo in single user mode - root password or ctrl-d to continue to boot to runlevel2.

The only thing that allows me to boot the dvd is using "toram".
The extracting of the squashfs was interrupted once by "crng init done" message, after that boot proceeded to desktop normally. At least for the first minute or two, didn't try longer.

I did a few more reloads and inspected the logs - difference between boot from dvd and hd.

First difference - apparmor, I didn't disable apparmor in my grub entry for the iso, so when booting from hdd I always have apparmor on, and I boot successfully. Removing the apparmor entry from dvd command line (thus enabling apparmor) didn't do anything.

Udev entries are in a different order - all the pci, usb etc. controllers seem to be there though, but I didn't compare each and every device. The usb host controller and kbd and mouse drivers do get loaded correctly in the dvd, but the devices themselves don't work. (Until I tried the "toram" option).

One time after rebooting and trying to load from hdd I got the "booting smp configuration" freeze. It seems to happen very early on - right after (or during) the microcode update, which seems to be the first thing happening during boot. The message only appeared once out of about 5 reboots.

The system in the already installed form on hdd is working perfectly through all of this.

Ok, enough reboots for today. Let me know if you come up with any tests I should run.

UPDATE:
Using "toram" seems to always work and allow me to boot from the dvd, as well as hdd.
I tried using "rootdelay=300" for 5min timeout, but it didn't help - still the same "/dev/sdx not initialized" and mouse/kbd not working in desktop.

Last edited by dev-1-dash-1 (2020-05-05 10:47:42)

#150 2020-05-05 13:16:20

fsmithred
Administrator

I can get the problem reliably by booting from dvd. Adding 'rootdelay=5' (or 10) does not help. Adding 'toram' allows me to boot.

Board footer