The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-01 03:59:24

MiyoLinux

Xfwm4 (and Openbox) Window Themes

For anyone who may be interested, I've made window themes for Xfce and Openbox. Both are based on Adwaita and Adwaita Dark.

For Xfce users - https://www.xfce-look.org/p/1176272/

By the way, Version 2 has icons for Shade and Stick...the original version didn't. Both versions are still there though.

For LXDE or Openbox users - https://www.box-look.org/p/1179478/

Also gave Devuan a little advertisement in the screenshots for the Openbox versions... wink

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-06-01 04:01:32)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#2 2017-06-01 04:58:18

Somewhat Reticent

Re: Xfwm4 (and Openbox) Window Themes

Ooo!  Do these affect Synaptic too?  (I read somewhere it needs GTK2 or GTK3 theme files or something) - depending on version.

Last edited by Somewhat Reticent (2017-06-18 22:38:53)

#3 2017-06-01 05:05:27

golinux
Administrator

Somewhat Reticent wrote:

Ooo!  Do these affect Synaptic too?  (I read somewhere it needs GTK 2 theme files or something).

Synaptic needs a compatible GTK3 theme or it breaks badly.  I keep sending folks to this link to help them understand the magnitude of the problem (which just keeps getting worse).

#4 2017-06-01 05:28:05

pekman

GTK3 is Satanic

I think it's time for a GTK Fork ...

#5 2017-06-01 09:10:00

aitor
Website

IMHO, the unique solution to this problem is to fork the official theme of Gtk3, that is: Adwaita.

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#6 2017-06-01 09:47:14

aitor
Website

golinux wrote:
Somewhat Reticent wrote:

Ooo!  Do these affect Synaptic too?  (I read somewhere it needs GTK 2 theme files or something).

Synaptic needs a compatible GTK3 theme or it breaks badly.  I keep sending folks to this link to help them understand the magnitude of the problem (which just keeps getting worse).

Golinux, as you can see in the following video about my new menu in gtk for openbox,  this is a general problem in the case of menus developed with libgtk-3.22, when using themes non based on the current official theme of Gtk (Adwaita).

In the video (i'm in ascii) both Adwaita and Devuan-green (a fork of Adwaita) work, but neither the theme of Gnuinos nor the Clearlooks-Phenix-Purpy theme of Refracta works. Here you are it:

http://gnuinos.org/mypopup.mpg

I'll try to modify the parts of the .css files related with the menus, toolbars and notebooks.

Last edited by aitor (2017-06-01 09:48:09)

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#7 2017-06-01 13:14:06

MiyoLinux

Somewhat Reticent wrote:

They're not GTK themes that affect the overall appearance; they're only window titlebar themes made to match the Adwaita and Adwaita Dark GTK themes.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#8 2017-06-01 13:45:23

Somewhat Reticent

Are gParted and Synaptic overdue for a Qt (or X-apps?) re-skin, or some such?  I've often wondered.  Sad a few gtk-fronted apps drag so much around.  I remember a brief fling with an Enlightenment (?) presentation of parted - more beautifully done than gParted, better GUI.  Meanwhile I'll try to use those themes while testing ISOs.
(Shouldn't this be under Desktop?)

Last edited by Somewhat Reticent (2017-06-01 13:48:54)

#9 2017-06-01 13:59:16

golinux
Administrator

Somewhat Reticent wrote:

(Shouldn't this be under Desktop?)

It's OK here.  It's a show-and-tell not a support question.  wink

#10 2017-06-01 14:26:52

GNUser

@golinux: I read the link you posted and was shocked by the magnitude of the GTK3 problem. It makes me sad that this commercial mindset has a foothold in GNU/Linux. Seems that the systemd developers and the GNOME/GTK developers are birds of a feather.

MATE has been my DE of choice. Do you know whether the MATE version in ASCII is GTK3-based? If so, I can imagine the themes I've been using for last few years will become useless. I thought MATE would be a safe haven from the disease showcased in the link, but if they're using GTK then they're beholden to whatever the GTK developers do.

Last edited by GNUser (2017-06-01 15:21:23)

#11 2017-06-01 14:38:13

smoki

People can use gtk2  version of Synaptic, verison 0.75.13 from wheezy should compile and work on Jessie just fine smile

GNUser wrote:

MATE has been my DE of choice. Do you know whether the MATE version in ASCII is GTK3-based?

It is, somewhat halfly still is mostly gtk2 but wants gtk3 some mate apps are gtk3... while current MATE upstream is all gtk3.

Last edited by smoki (2017-06-01 14:44:38)

#12 2017-06-01 14:52:13

Ogis1975
Website

Very nice theme. Already use it. Thanks for share it!

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#13 2017-06-01 14:59:14

GNUser

smoki wrote:

current MATE upstream is all gtk3.

Thanks for the info, smoki. Sad to hear. Fortunately, as long as Devuan follows a fixed release model, I won't have to fix theme breakages more than once every few years. I can live with that.

#14 2017-06-01 15:17:24

golinux
Administrator

smoki wrote:

It is, somewhat halfly still is mostly gtk2 but wants gtk3 some mate apps are gtk3... while current MATE upstream is all gtk3.

Xfce has also jumped the gtk3 shark . . .

#15 2017-06-01 16:10:43

smoki

golinux wrote:

Xfce has also jumped the gtk3 shark . . .

From developer perspective i guess there is no what else to do with gtk2 version anymore, that is long time stable.

But if someone like MATE or XFCE all gtk2 to keep going they should do like for example TDE guys do. KDE3 was dropped back in 2008. so 9 years ago but they, still manage to get that going by maintaining it, latest release  R14.0.4 in november 2016 or so.

http://trinitydesktop.org/

BTW i am not interested in DEs, i use just openbox wm. Currently on Devuan 1.0 I don't have gtk3 installed even qt4 is not installed, nor pulseaudio, nor... yeah, i am pretty minimal but all what i do serves me well, kind of i can't decide really (as that would be only i guess) on what is good for someone else - so i can only say - here are solutions possible, but really it is up to you.

Last edited by smoki (2017-06-01 16:24:59)

#16 2017-06-01 16:28:40

greenjeans
Website

smoki wrote:

.. while current MATE upstream is all gtk3.

Yeah I was looking at that, and various bits of functionality are being thrown out in Mate just like the final days of gnome2. Some GTK/gnome apps I have always liked are doing the same, Exaile has been my music player and internet radio player for years, but latest version is all GTK3.

I am starting to think GTK needs a fork as well. The Gnome/RH/systemd crowd are calling the shots when it comes to GTK3 development, and we all know where that trainwreck leads.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#17 2017-06-01 17:09:42

smoki

Well, there are varios music and internet radio players avilable, for example:

https://opensource.com/article/17/1/ope … ic-players

Maybe i can recommend GogglesMM to try (not that version from repo, but recent one 1.1.8), that does not depend on gstreamer and uses fox toolkit 1.7.x for GUI, can organize music, can play internet radio, etc... As you see you don't need to depend on any gtk nor even qt for that, but to still have a GUI if you want to. Of course it is entirely different GUI lib and have nothing to do with these Gnome/RH/systemd stories.

And when you compile fox check apps inside, something that Debian refuses to compile for some reason it seems big_smile There is fox calulator, adie editor, control panel for fox, even file manager pathfiner, but someone might find xfe more useful altogh that is fox 1.6, there was sound editor i forgot how that was called now, etc...

Sounds like if someone write say panel, synaptic in fox and web browser (at least in suckless way)... and couple other tiny apps, that would be pretty much usable gtk/qt free version of Desktop Linux big_smile

I have no idea why these fox apps aren't presented better, reminds too much on Windows maybe? smile Or maybe worse, what isn't in RH control that shouldn't be presented anywhere, probably some deal with distros or something... no idea big_smile

2017_06_01_21_49_29_1920x1080.jpg

Last edited by smoki (2017-06-01 20:00:42)

#18 2017-06-01 20:06:02

zephyr
Website

SMPlayer works for audio and video. MPV if configured correctly is nice.

Personally use PMRP,  a YAD based program by hakerdefo and misko for radio, easily configured. Link to VSIDO discussion can be found here...
http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=1299.0

PMRP GitHub by hakerdefo here...
https://github.com/hakerdefo/pmrp

Screenshot-05092017-063227PM.th.png

Audacious for audio is awesome too!

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2017-06-01 20:13:07)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#19 2017-06-01 20:45:33

smoki

zephyr wrote:

Audacious for audio is awesome too!

Audacious is interesting from GUI perspective also as upstream default is gtk2, while jessie have gtk3 version but jessie-backports have qt5 version but nothing has recent one...

It seems no one listen anyone there, so ideal to be compiled big_smile

Last edited by smoki (2017-06-01 20:47:38)

#20 2017-06-02 00:36:09

Somewhat Reticent

Maybe that (need for toolkit independence) is why Linux_Mint devs are making X-apps?

#21 2017-06-13 07:03:47

Somewhat Reticent

smoki wrote:

… uses fox toolkit 1.7.x for GUI, … As you see you don't need to depend on any gtk nor even qt for that, but to still have a GUI if you want to. …
And when you compile fox check apps inside, something that Debian refuses to compile for some reason it seems big_smile

Sounds like if someone write say panel, synaptic in fox and web browser (at least in suckless way)... and couple other tiny apps, that would be pretty much usable gtk/qt free version of Desktop Linux big_smile  …

(Careful you don't run afoul of some Not-Invented-Here or GPL3-or-Die zealotry!)
Cross-platform, Freed Open-Source (LGPL), suckless - what's not to love? cool
Though I only noticed Gentoo and Ubuntu packages (sigh).

Speaking of themes,…
Isn't it a pity Dark_Star is only gtk2, and not also gtk3 (at least for now)?
Wouldn't it be great if synaptic respected openbox themes were as complete as gtk themes (not just for window frame decorations), and synaptic respected them?

Last edited by Somewhat Reticent (2017-06-14 17:08:00)

#22 2017-06-13 23:04:55

msi

Somewhat Reticent wrote:

Wouldn't it be great if synaptic respected openbox themes?

Well, it does, as long as you're using Openbox. (You're probably referring to the accompanying GTK themes.)

smoki wrote:

Sounds like if someone write say panel, synaptic in fox and web browser (at least in suckless way)... and couple other tiny apps, that would be pretty much usable gtk/qt free version of Desktop Linux

Speaking of desktop environments built with alternative GUI toolkits, there's also EDE, which uses FLTK. I've found some quite informative slides that were used for a presentation of EDE (and FLTK) at FOSDEM 2013, too: http://equinox-project.org/slides/fosdem-2013-ede.pdf.

I can't really say much about Fox. The only Fox application I've been giving a try so far was Xfe, which is a nice project. However, I like PCManFM's GTK+ 2 interface much better. I'm using the GTK+ 2 default theme (Raleigh) and I think nothing really beats that in terms of clarity and, of course, "ugliness" – though Clearlooks is pretty clear as well.

There's a funny article about Adwaita (Raleigh's GTK+ 3 replacement) from 2014 on blogs.gnome.org that says:

The Raleigh theme that we’ve used as the default until now has some advantages:

It is very simple
    No dependency on a theme engine (external or internal)
    It does not use a lot of resources

But there is no nice way of putting it: it is very ugly.

And it goes on:

This may not  be such a big deal on Linux, where distributions generally have ‘their’ theme, not to mention the many packaged and readily available themes.  So, basically no Linux user ever sees the default GTK+ theme.

Well, I do see the default GTK+ theme and on my desktop it definitely doesn't look as ugly as in the screenshot in that article.

So, if anyone would fork GTK+ 2, I would be very happy to see that happen, since as it seems, literally every program GUI on my system is based on it.

Maybe there's also a way to recreate the classic GTK+ 2 themes in FLTK, so these two would integrate seemlessly. So much for the utopian idea of the day.

#23 2017-06-14 03:54:45

smoki

Somewhat Reticent wrote:

(Careful you don't run afoul of some Not-Invented-Here or GPL3-or-Die zealotry!)
Cross-platform, Freed Open-Source (LGPL), suckless - what's not to love? cool
Though I only noticed Gentoo and Ubuntu packages (sigh).

Fox toolkit is LGPL3 and app is GPL3. If you want packages you can get deb source lab from launchpad goggles ppa, dget>dpkg-checkbuilddeps>install deps> and rebuild on Devuan for yourself by using dpkg-buildpackage or debuild whatever. First fox lib install and then Goggles app, etc...

FluxBB bbcode test

Last edited by smoki (2017-06-14 04:00:03)

#24 2017-06-14 04:13:49

smoki

msi wrote:

Speaking of desktop environments built with alternative GUI toolkits, there's also EDE, which uses FLTK. I've found some quite informative slides that were used for a presentation of EDE (and FLTK) at FOSDEM 2013, too: http://equinox-project.org/slides/fosdem-2013-ede.pdf.

I can't really say much about Fox. The only Fox application I've been giving a try so far was Xfe, which is a nice project. However, I like PCManFM's GTK+ 2 interface much better. I'm using the GTK+ 2 default theme (Raleigh) and I think nothing really beats that in terms of clarity and, of course, "ugliness" – though Clearlooks is pretty clear as well.

Cool, i know of EDE but i am not interested in DEs really as i think that is too much to be any default big_smile... so no any GUI toolkit dependancy is a major feature there i more like WM or so called Box approach, that is like user buy (of course empty) suitcase and put whatever he want there or like if you buy a new flat/house and it is empty and then user put choose furniture and place it where he decide. WM only needs to comply to general standards and nothing much else.

Yes, there are many gtk2 file managers... btw, i think SpaceFM gtk2 is better than PCManFM but that is just personal opinion smile

To these "ugliness" of themes i have really no idea, that is to me again per user eyes to decide, some like more black some like more light or anything in between. What is ugly for one that is beauty for another and so on.

I always say - *this* is traditional desktop metaphor big_smile

openbox.png

So what is this? This is Box design, it is like new empty suitcase, new empty flat, new empty house, empty... now read guidelines/suggestions and put/place there whatever you want as no one really can decide for you smile Also if one contionosly keep asking someone else to decide on this for him, he will by the time lost all of his freedom, etc...

23878059_couple_at_their_new_empty_apartment_Sto.jpg

Last edited by smoki (2017-06-14 05:09:37)

#25 2017-06-14 17:10:00

Somewhat Reticent

Perhaps Linux_Mint devs will come up with a per-app way to skin/theme X-apps?

Board footer