The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-25 03:12:15

anatak

Devuan ASCII on Lenovo T430

Hello,

I tried installing devuan on my T430 (it runs mint without problems)

I got the error that my selected software could not be installed.
I used the graphical install and selected default desktop (xfce)

after skippinig the software install step I ended up with the CLI and could log in.

The installation never asked for the second or third ISO.

I tried installing using a network connection and I will try installing again without network connection tonight but I was wondering if anybody else had the same problem.

thank you
anatak

#2 2019-09-25 12:43:02

HevyDevy

Re: Devuan ASCII on Lenovo T430

What iso did you use?

#3 2019-09-26 01:06:02

anatak

devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_cd-1.iso

from torrent file devuan_ascii.torrent
I got the torrent file from https://files.devuan.org/?ref=/os/download
on the website it shows that the torrent file was created on 07-Jun-2018 08:31

Is there a newer version available that I am not aware off?

#4 2019-09-26 01:18:07

golinux
Administrator

No.  We are currently trying to put out a point release with current upgrades.  Hopefully won't take too long.  The point release will be announced here and on all other communication channels.

#5 2019-09-26 01:21:21

anatak

thank you.
I tried installing from a mirror in Japan and I know from using Mint that the japanese mirror is next to useless.

Do you know if it is possible to install not using a network, purely from the ISO's that I downloaded?

I didn't notice that option during the install.

#6 2019-09-26 01:49:36

golinux
Administrator

Please read the ISO guide on the index page of the Devuan website that will help you to choose the iso that best suits your needs.

https://devuan.org/

#7 2019-09-26 03:04:50

anatak

this doesn't answer my question but I guess thank you?
I read the info, i selected the cd rom set, the install never asked for the second nor third iso cdrom.

#8 2019-09-26 04:46:27

golinux
Administrator

anatak wrote:

I read the info, i selected the cd rom set, the install never asked for the second nor third iso cdrom.

The installer would probably ask for the second or third iso if the selections you made required packages from them.

#9 2019-09-26 13:36:40

noname

anatak wrote:

Devuan build procedures were inherited from whoever, the whole distribution and install process is a mess imo, we should be installing ALL drivers on a test system, along with a minimal set of core components like synaptic, which will let even android-iots get things up and running, but nobody has time to rewrite it all or try something new, this being largely a spare-time effort, if you get my drift?  ...and once the test system is up and running, put a snapshot of the ext4 filesystem into an iso file.  that way you get exactly what was tested, and if it doesn't work you can choose a regressed snapshot left laying aorund from when it was unstable.  But hey, it is what it is, and it's getting better imo. 

As for your particular situation... if i knew how to convert the entire contents of a hard-drive into an iso, i could make up a system for you from my krud in a couple hours or so, if i had time to do it.  Time's the thing, time's what's being stolen from every employee.  Sorry for the digression, let me know if i can help.  btw, the system i'm talking about is currently running just fine on a Lenovo t510.  The model you're talking about may differ in terms of chipsets and drivers.  Best luck.

#10 2019-09-26 17:38:59

fsmithred
Administrator

I think the installer normally asks you for additional CDs early in the install. It's been a long time since i've done that. I do know that if you install without a mirror, there are some packages that won't get installed, such as wicd, firefox, and synaptic. If you want them, you'll need to install them afterward, even though they are on the installer media.

If you're having trouble with a particular package mirror, you can either use pkgmaster.devuan.org or select another from this list:
http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/mirror_list.txt. You might need to select one of the expert install options (graphical or not) to be able to put in any mirror you want.

#11 2019-09-29 20:20:10

noname

fsmithred wrote:

I think the installer normally asks you for additional CDs early in the install. It's been a long time since i've done that. I do know that if you install without a mirror, there are some packages that won't get installed, such as wicd, firefox, and synaptic. If you want them, you'll need to install them afterward, even though they are on the installer media.

Please explain why this is considered acceptable?

#12 2019-09-29 20:38:59

fsmithred
Administrator

noname wrote:
fsmithred wrote:

I can't think of a reason why synaptic doesn't get installed automatically, but skipping the network stuff does kinda make sense if you don't have a network.

#13 2019-10-01 00:01:59

anatak

HI,
sorry for the late response. I downloaded the dvd iso and installed from that.
I noticed a few differences between cd.iso and dvd.iso
both installs used the graphical install
The cd.iso had no problem finding my network and connecting.
The dvd.iso found my network but could not make a connection.
the cd.iso doesn't give you the option to install without network.
the dvd.iso does.
after installation I from cd.iso I noticed that my network connection wasn't working. I think that the installer connected to my router or gave me the message that there was a connection but didn't connect to the mirror and that might have been the reason why i ended up with a system without desktop manager.
my network isn't working after the dvd.iso install either.
If config shows me both networks without inet ip address nor inet6 ip address.
ping to lo works fine.

after installation from the dvd iso my network isn't working either.

I will play around with it a little more to see if I can find out went wrong with this install

an unrelated question.
Why is there a systemd folder?

ps calling people android-iots isn't going to make devuan more popular.

#14 2019-10-01 00:48:31

golinux
Administrator

anatak wrote:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1925

Sorry I can't answer the installer questions . . .

#15 2019-10-01 00:55:19

anatak

golinux wrote:
anatak wrote:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1925

Sorry I can't answer the installer questions . . .

thank you.

#16 2019-10-01 03:17:04

noname

fsmithred wrote:
noname wrote:
fsmithred wrote:

I can't think of a reason why synaptic doesn't get installed automatically, but skipping the network stuff does kinda make sense if you don't have a network.

Those of us who don't have a network, such as myself, can scrounge up a wifi hotspot on a phone.  But if wicd and firefox and synaptic aren't available, you're immediately dumped into some hardcore jerry-rigging, i for one don't know all the commands behind wicd, and the various options for the utilities underneath synaptic, and the man pages are still as crap as they have always been, with very few exceptions.  The industry got lazy and put the doc on the web, of course most of the doc i find on the web these days is 5 years out of date, so basically you're left trying to hack it from memory, good luck with that.

Sorry if that qualifies as a rant hereabouts, but i'm disgusted with the whole damn industry, smart-phones that are so utterly stupid in their design that i can't set my new phone on my pants-leg without the oh-so-fashionable gizmo attempting to commit suicide by sliding onto the floor glass-first, easily done since both sides are glass.  Hair-stylists designing technical equipment, go figure.

Board footer