The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-30 08:50:45

spartrekus

How to install DEVUAN Stable using DEBOOTSTRAP method to /target?

Hello,

How to install DEVUAN Stable using DEBOOTSTRAP method to /target?

I have several devuan machines, but debootstrap of devuan seems not to allow installation. debootstrap works however if you give the url of your friend, debian.

It hangs visibily during debootstrap of devuan installation, but it works flawlessly well to install debian.

So far, after many tries, it is impossible to bring more than 20-50mb over deboostrap sad

PKG="make,gcc,wireless-tools,login,passwd,less,vim,wpasupplicant,netbase,wget,cpio,binutils,dpkg,cron,dosfstools,e2fsprogs,dpkg,apt,apt-utils" 
mkdir /target 
debootstrap --include="$PKG" --arch i386  jessie  /target  http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ 
mkdir /target/lib/modules
mv    /target/boot   /target/boot-origin
mv    /target/etc/network   /target/etc/network-origin
vim /target/etc/shadow
exit

this works great:
debootstrap --include="$PKG" --arch i386  jessie  /target http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

Please at least make debootstrap working, because we are all looking forward having opportunity to Install and to Spread DEVUAN all around the WORLD !!

Last edited by spartrekus (2017-04-30 08:54:49)

#2 2017-04-30 10:36:28

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: How to install DEVUAN Stable using DEBOOTSTRAP method to /target?

"Works for me" [tm]
I copied your command and tried it: 197M and no errors, 399M when unpacked and configured.

#3 2017-05-01 01:27:19

fsmithred
Administrator

Refracta isos have included devuan debootstrap since some early version of devuan debootstrap. I just re-tested it with a current refracta iso. I did not give it a URL, and it pulls from packages.devuan.org. I stopped at "I: Base system installed successfully" (haven't chrooted in and installed bootloader yet.) Looks to me like it works as it should.

Download a refracta live-iso and boot it from CD or USB on the computer you want to install. Instructions almost identical to what's below are in /home/user/debootstrap_devuan
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac … isohybrid/

Create partition
Format partition
Mount the partition and run debootstrap. You might be more lenient with the excludes. Just excluding systemd-sysv should be equivalent to using one of the devuan_jessie installer isos.

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt   # replace sdb1 with correct drive and partition
debootstrap --arch i386(or amd64) --exclude systemd,libpamsystemd,systemd-sysv,libsystemd0 jessie /mnt

If you have custom configs or other special files, you can copy files to the new system.
(example:   cp /boot/grub/splash.png /mnt/boot/grub/)

Mount some things so you can install the grub bootloader.

mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts

Chroot into the installed system.

chroot /mnt

Install software, edit configs, *create root password*, create user, install a kernel.

Still in chroot, install the bootloader and create the boot menu, then exit the chroot.

grub-install  /dev/sdb   # replace sdb with correct drive
update-grub
exit

Unmount stuff.

umount -l /mnt/dev/pts
umount -l /mnt/dev/
umount -l /mnt/sys
umount -l /mnt/proc
umount -l /mnt

That's all. Reboot.

Last edited by fsmithred (2017-05-01 02:04:11)

#4 2017-05-01 18:34:55

spartrekus

It is not necessary to mount the all stuffs. You can edit everything manually later once you boot the pc.

My method is working on Debian, so it shall work too on Devuan.

I used this command during years, so it must work too to install a Devuan.

PKG="make,gcc,wireless-tools,login,passwd,less,vim,wpasupplicant,netbase,wget,cpio,binutils,dpkg,cron,dosfstools,e2fsprogs,dpkg,apt,apt-utils" 
mkdir /target 
debootstrap --include="$PKG" --arch i386  jessie  /target  http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ 

There must be something not working well into the debootstrap of devuan.

#5 2017-05-01 21:32:49

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

When you say "something not working well", I assume you are getting some error message or something from the command. Perhaps you could share that with us?

#6 2017-05-02 12:53:47

fsmithred
Administrator

The debootstrap command left me without a kernel or bootloader, so it was necessary to mount those things (didn't really need /dev/pts) and chroot into the target to install grub and linux-image. While there, I also created a root password. There's no way I could have rebooted to do those things in the installed system.

#7 2017-05-02 22:13:09

spartrekus

fsmithred wrote:

The debootstrap command left me without a kernel or bootloader, so it was necessary to mount those things (didn't really need /dev/pts) and chroot into the target to install grub and linux-image. While there, I also created a root password. There's no way I could have rebooted to do those things in the installed system.

woooo, you certainly do not need to mount --bind the whole stuffs, and also to install grub. It can bring disaster to install grub. With the newer grub, everything is automatic for Ubuntu/Debian/ new users, but it might bring serious disaster. Danger with you boot menu and all things automatic ...
It is certainly better, if you know what you are doing, to install grub by hand with dd. /boot/grub needs to be populated. Herewith my mbr: https://github.com/spartrekus/tinyshellbox-tiny-shell

With my method you need with a good internet connection max. 5 minutes to install a debian base system wink Max 5 minutes. No longer.

Concerning password of root, you just remove the * in shadow. Once you reboot, you login to root and you have the hands to make it installed the way you want.

This week I will have more time and keep you up to date.

Last edited by spartrekus (2017-05-02 22:17:03)

#8 2017-05-05 16:30:14

spartrekus

sparrot@deathstar # debootstrap --include="$PKG" --arch i386 stable  /target  http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/

I: Retrieving InRelease 
I: Checking Release signature
E: Release signed by unknown key (key id 94532124541922FB)

sparrot@deathstar #

I mentioned last time that I needed few days to give you the error msg. Herewith the error message as agreed.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by spartrekus (2017-05-05 16:33:50)

#9 2017-05-05 16:44:39

golinux
Administrator

@spartrekus . . . If there is a bug, please submit it to bugs.devuan.org using the reportbug tool or by email.  Instructions are on the site here.

#10 2017-05-05 17:43:21

spartrekus

golinux wrote:

@spartrekus . . . If there is a bug, please submit it to bugs.devuan.org using the reportbug tool or by email.  Instructions are on the site here.

- Reportbug: I am sorry. I cannot submit a bug using the reportbug since it requires a large installation, which would not match with my minimal clean Linux installation.
- HTML: I have unfortunately no account (login/password/...)

#11 2017-05-05 19:09:06

golinux
Administrator

spartrekus wrote:

- Reportbug: I am sorry. I cannot submit a bug using the reportbug since it requires a large installation, which would not match with my minimal clean Linux installation.
- HTML: I have unfortunately no account (login/password/...)

Please reread:

golinux wrote:

@spartrekus . . . If there is a bug, please submit it to bugs.devuan.org using the reportbug tool OR BY EMAIL.  Instructions are on the site here.

There are two methods to report a bug.  One is by email.  Do you have email?  You do not need an account and need to send in plain text not html.

#12 2017-05-12 12:20:18

fsmithred
Administrator

spartrekus wrote:

sparrot@deathstar # debootstrap --include="$PKG" --arch i386 stable  /target  http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/

sparrot@deathstar #

I mentioned last time that I needed few days to give you the error msg. Herewith the error message as agreed.

Thank you in advance

I got that same error recently, but I don't recall what I was doing. Maybe it was the debootstrap install, or maybe it was during an upgrade from jessie to ascii. I think I fixed it by adding the key, and I think I tried a couple different things. Sorry I didn't take notes on that.

apt-get install devuan-keyring

and answer "yes" to the scary question.
or

gpg --recv-keys 541922FB
gpg --export -armor 541922FB | apt-key add -

Last edited by fsmithred (2017-05-12 12:21:01)

#13 2017-06-04 10:57:47

spartrekus

fsmithred wrote:
spartrekus wrote:

sparrot@deathstar #

Thank you in advance

I got that same error recently, but I don't recall what I was doing. Maybe it was the debootstrap install, or maybe it was during an upgrade from jessie to ascii. I think I fixed it by adding the key, and I think I tried a couple different things. Sorry I didn't take notes on that.

apt-get install devuan-keyring

and answer "yes" to the scary question.
or

gpg --recv-keys 541922FB
gpg --export -armor 541922FB | apt-key add -

It does not work. Keyring not installed, and gpg is there but it does not allow it.

DEBIAN does install so why cannot it does DEVUAN??
All other deb'-distros work too with deboostrap

#14 2017-06-04 11:22:05

fsmithred
Administrator

What error message did you get?

If you used the second method to add the key, make sure to include the final "-" after "add".

#15 2017-06-04 14:41:43

spartrekus

fsmithred wrote:

What error message did you get?

If you used the second method to add the key, make sure to include the final "-" after "add".

solved with this bash script. I installed DEVUAN !!

#/bin/bash

PKG="make,wpasupplicant,netbase,login,passwd,less"
  debootstrap   --no-check-gpg  --include="$PKG" --arch i386 jessie  /target  http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ 

mkdir -p  /target/lib/modules
  mv    /target/boot   /target/boot-origin
  mv    /target/etc/network   /target/etc/network-origin

#16 2017-07-10 07:22:28

crayxmp

Hello everyone !
I filed a bug report for the "Release signed by unknown key" error.
This error occurs when using devuan's debootstrap using suites stable/testing/unstable but not for jessie/ascii/ceres.
Three symlinks to fix and there you go without forcing with an unsecure "--no-gpg-check" option.

Edit: And btw, thanks for all the good stuff.

Edit2: Sorry, obviously read "... since the sid script checks packages against debian-archive-keyring ..." in the bug report.

Last edited by crayxmp (2017-07-11 21:45:57)

Board footer