The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-05 20:43:44

bgstack15

E: Package 'python-ipalib' has no installation candidate

Within the past year, I have been able to install freeipa clients on devuan ceres and join my freeipa domain.

However, now, I get an interesting error. After starting to explicitly name the packages that are missing, I finally got different output:

[root@ltb-010|/etc/apt]# apt-get install freeipa-client python-ipaclient python-ipalib
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package python-ipalib is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'python-ipalib' has no installation candidate

No installation candidate! I have not had this problem in the past on ceres (probably 2 months ago on a fresh install and it worked OK).

After much Internet searching, I finally discovered 'python-ipalib' in https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/bannedpackages.txt. I assume, because the FreeIPA project is very Fedora-driven (the distro I used to use primarily), it has some kind of systemd hooks or some such.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can setup my freeipa client on devuan ceres? Frankly, I'm not opposed to ascii or jessie; just the last time I evaluated it it was only in ceres in the first place. I'll get my wine stable from winehq, and any old version of Firefox is good enough for me.

If I need to make a dummy package that satisfies some arbitrary string dependency, I can do that. If I need another package listed from apt-cache search ipalib or libipa, I'm fine with that. Whatever it takes to get my domain logins, centralized sudoers, and optionally my centralized ssh host keys. If I have to manually configure sssd, cert trust, and ldap/kerberos, I can do that too, but obviously freeipa client does all that for you.

This space intentionally left blank.

#2 2019-01-05 22:20:40

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: E: Package 'python-ipalib' has no installation candidate

With equivs you rather easily define an empty dummy package that satisfies an installation dependency. It has excellent documentation (well, at least I understood to use it, to dummy out the avahi nonsense).

#3 2019-01-05 22:22:50

golinux
Administrator

bgstack15 wrote:

After much Internet searching, I finally discovered 'python-ipalib' in https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/bannedpackages.txt. I assume, because the FreeIPA project is very Fedora-driven (the distro I used to use primarily), it has some kind of systemd hooks or some such.

Yes.  Exactly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can setup my freeipa client on devuan ceres?

You could remove the systemd dependency and rebuild it.  wink  Or better yet take on long-term maintenance of the package for Devuan.

#4 2019-01-06 04:39:43

bgstack15

Thanks for the tip about equivs! I will check it out. In the past, I've hand-crafted some dummy dpkgs (oddjob-mkhomedir being one of them) but if there's some tool that automates it, that'd make life simpler going forward.

I love FreeIPA and also non-systemd distros. Those don't usually combine very well, however.

I am intrigued by being a package maintainer. I've never had the privilege or responsibility before. Additionally, I know so extremely little about the debian-esque way packages are maintained. Also, I barely know how to build a dpkg. I come from the Fedora/rpm world where I've just started using the free, public build servers of COPR for myself.

Here's a question about the topic: would compiling an application without features [dependent on systemd] for devuan be permitted? Or do applications need to be basically the same as upstream? I'm not entirely sure what in python-libipa would depend on systemd, but if a feature doesn't fit my use case, I wouldn't care if I have to disable it. I don't know the first thing about [modern] programming, so I wouldn't be able to fix it. If it cannot be provided in the main repos as a crippled version if necessary, I certainly wouldn't be able to take it on.

This space intentionally left blank.

Board footer