The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-18 11:54:14

Altoid

Installing printer drivers

Hello:

In a hurry for a printer to finish some overdue work at home and not at the office, I went and got myself a SamsungXpress M2020W at a great discount.

[note]
The discount has a reason: printer carts for this thingy are a rather expensive proposition and 2020 is not the same as 2020W firmware wise.
It seems that the latter (the one I puchased, naturally) cannot have its firmware reflashed to be able to use alternative toner carts without a new chip each time.
[/note]

But I digress.

The printer drivers for Linux (provided by Samsung) are installed via a script and will most probably be removed by apt autoremove as apt/SPM has not registered them.

Is there a way to get them registered by apt/SPM so that this does not happen?

Thanks in advance.

A.

#2 2018-10-18 16:32:49

golinux
Administrator

Re: Installing printer drivers

There has been discussion of printers recently on the DNG mail list.  I glossed over most of it because it was TMI but I suspect you might find an answer in there.

#3 2018-10-19 15:35:33

Altoid

Hello:

golinux wrote:

... suspect you might find an answer in there.

I reinstalled the drivers but there was a problem about some backend USB that was but was not there.
(sorry, I neglected to write down the exact text)

Then I realised CUPS was gone, so I reinstalled it and still no joy, same backend USB problem.

But then I had never used CUPS, which proved to be a real find.   =-)

Opened it with a browser http://localhost:631/admin, installed the printer and deleted the other one (another 2020W but with a different name) that was not working for whatever reason.

So I was able to solved the problem autoremove caused but not the autoremove causing the problem because of the driver not being registered.

For the moment I'll just have to remember how that goes.

Maybe someone knows how to get that done, must be a way.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

A.

#4 2018-10-19 18:59:25

James1138

I believe the answer will be "no"... but thought I ask anyway. Has anyone found a way to trick a Lexmark x9575 multifunction printer to work with Devuan/Debian? OpenPrinting website said the Lexmark is a paperweight and nothing found in CUPS works. The native Windows XP drivers refuse to install. I do not know if anyone found a generic setting and/or generic driver for printing. I do not even care if I remain unable to use scanner function so long as I can print.

Thanks,
James
Indiana/USA

Board footer