The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-24 00:16:59

dhalgren

Migration from Bunsenlabs debian to ASCII

I first used crunchbang, then moved to Bunsenlabs.

I've read the instructions about moving to ASCII, and some things are very clear: I must purge network manager and all bunsen packages, and delete bunsen cofigs in \~.

But, there are a lot of kde and gnome packages in the basic install. Will these cause problems? Or should I do a fresh install?

I'm expecting to be told a fresh install, but can anyone confirm that this is the way to go, please

#2 2018-09-24 01:58:31

siva

Re: Migration from Bunsenlabs debian to ASCII

You risk dealing with an unbelievable amount of breakage by "migrating" (I'm assuming you mean changing the repositories in /etc/apt) from Bunsen to Devuan.  I say "risk" because no one has documented their experience with that kind of transition.  Debian->Devuan is a little different, because the packages are similar enough, but other projects and their non-Debian repos may give you a headache.  You're welcome to try it, and document your findings, but I'd be surprised if anyone here could speak from experience.

#3 2018-09-24 03:28:00

dhalgren

Well, it all needs backing up, then I will try. Nothing ventured, nothing learnt.

#4 2018-09-24 10:26:46

HextorBRX

Nothing ventured, nothing learnt.

Actually, there are a few options you should know about prior to installing the OS.

1) The "installer-iso" will prompt you to select a session manager, namely lightdm or sddm. Choose the default session manager for your desktop environment (e.g. sddm for KDE and LXQt). Also, XFCE only works properly with sddm.
2) deb.devuan.org is a little bit buggy. I would select pkgmaster if I were you.
3) GParted may crash in the desktop-live ISO. It happened a few times to me in a virtual machine, so create your partitions prior to running the installer. Also, the cli installer has better wording. Run "sudo refractainstaller" in the terminal.
4) You can decide which non-free firmwares you are going to install. It is explained in the readme files.

The desktop-live ISO works out of the box and it is my favorite way of installing Devuan.

You will find everything you need in the Devuan Download Zone: https://files.devuan.org/ 
ISO, SHA256SUMS, key.gpp, SHA256SUMS.asc + Readme files

#5 2018-09-24 14:49:36

golinux
Administrator

HextorBRX wrote:

Nothing ventured, nothing learnt.

1) . . . XFCE only works properly with sddm.

Wrong.  Slim is the default DM for Xfce and works perfectly.  Did you have a problem with it?

2) deb.devuan.org is a little bit buggy. I would select pkgmaster if I were you.

pkgmaster is the source for the deb.devuan.org round-robin.
The issue with using deb.devuan.org on jessie has been fixed:
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 … 51.en.html

Please report issues to bugs,devuan.org.

3) . . . so create your partitions prior to running the installer.

Yes.  I also find it a bit awkward to do during the installation process.

The desktop-live ISO works out of the box and it is my favorite way of installing Devuan.

fsmithred is amazing!

#6 2018-09-24 17:05:50

HextorBRX

Wrong. Slim is the default DM for Xfce and works perfectly.  Did you have a problem with it?

I have read here (and on Debian forums) that XFCE does not work properly with lightdm. Since we only have two choices via the regular installer-iso (namely lightdm and sddm), I figured we should select the latter smile

I could not shut down nor restart the computer on my LXQt installed system via the lightdm login screen. I can with LXQt/sddm. I always choose the default display manager from now on.

The issue with using deb.devuan.org on jessie has been fixed:

I have had this issue since July with fr.deb.devuan.org on ascii. "Temporary error" "Cannot fetch this package" Nothing wong with pkgmaster so far.

Please report issues to bugs,devuan.org.

I wish it were that easy. (It is not my computer.) 

fsmithred is amazing!

Frankly, the live iso is the easiest way to go.

Last edited by HextorBRX (2018-09-24 17:09:56)

#7 2018-09-24 19:22:05

dxrobertson

HextorBRX wrote:

I have read here (and on Debian forums) that XFCE does not work properly with lightdm. Since we only have two choices via the regular installer-iso (namely lightdm and sddm), I figured we should select the latter smile

XFCE works with LightDM, you just have to use/install elogind

apt-get install libpolkit-backend-elogind-1-0 

I have had no problem running LightDM and XFCE.

Last edited by dxrobertson (2018-09-24 19:23:41)

#8 2018-09-24 23:18:42

dhalgren

Thank you all for your comments.
I will go desktop-live first.

On LightDM and xfce, I have used them together in Debian, and all things being equal, they should be fine together surely.

#9 2018-09-24 23:29:21

golinux
Administrator

dhalgren wrote:

On LightDM and xfce, I have used them together in Debian, and all things being equal, they should be fine together surely.

Do not assume equal compatibility in Devuan as our backends are different to accommodate eudev.  Please read the Release Notes for clarification.

#10 2018-09-24 23:30:33

dhalgren

Fair enough, my mistake. And I will read them now.

EDIT: It appears that a fresh install may be the easiest way to go.

Last edited by dhalgren (2018-09-24 23:37:04)

#11 2018-09-25 13:02:20

Panopticon

It will be interesting to see how it goes but i believe you will just experience breakage that will make it a waste of time.

There is a good thread over at that forum re running bunsenlabs systemd free which should give you some pointers.

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4939

In my opinion it would be better to install say one of the openbox distros the good folks here at Devuan host like Star, Miyo or Crows and just tweak them to work and feel like bunsenlabs by using the assets from bunsenlabs github like the themes and icons and configs etc.

https://github.com/bunsenlabs

Last edited by Panopticon (2018-09-25 13:05:54)

#12 2018-09-26 09:05:37

dhalgren

Yes, I;ve downloaded star, and will have a look at it soon,
Thanks.

#13 2018-09-26 17:37:25

HextorBRX

You may want to contact kleiner_husar because he has done it already: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2120 Please send me a message if you know how to do it. It will give me a head start.

P.S. I am reading the Release Notes (better late than never) and I guess I was wrong about the default DM for KDE and LXQt.

XFCE: slim + consolekit
Cinnamon: lightdm + elogind
KDE: lightdm + elogind
LXQT: lightdm + elogind
MATE: slim + consolekit

Weird, sddm has been developed by KDE and LXQt teams.

Last edited by HextorBRX (2018-09-27 16:41:28)

#14 2018-09-26 22:57:53

dhalgren

Thanks HectorBRX, . I have read the relevant post, and it seems that kleiner_husar was lucky enough to have some pre-systemd BL binaries/configs on a USB

I don't have access to these, and although johnraff or one of the other devs at BL  would probably be able to provide them, I have decided to purchase a larger SSD, and triple boot (Win 10,which I need for study), Devuan, and BL..

I won't be able to do this for a few weeks, but when I do I will have time to play with Devuan and get the type of set up I like---I'll need to do it this way, because life is full, and I am slow at this type of playing.

In the meantime, I'll continue reading documentation and the forum, to make it wasier when I get there.

Thanks all for your comments!

Last edited by dhalgren (2018-09-26 22:58:41)

#15 2018-09-26 23:43:01

HextorBRX

Have you read this? https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall
https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html Click on the README link in the Netinstall script section at the bottom of the page.

It might work with Devuan netinstall.

Also, W10 works really well in a virtual machine if you only need it for work.

#16 2018-09-27 00:00:26

dhalgren

I never thought of running it in a virtual machine, because I have to use a dirty little thing called "respondus lockdown browser. Earlier versions ran on wine, but respondus have fixed that. I also ave read reports that it doesn't work in a virtual machine, so never bothered to test it.

I've used the bunsenlabs netinstall script in the past, and it is pretty good. The difficulty is that systemd is more than a dependency, it is a necessity for much of BL to work. Hence, I think all I am up to is modifying the BL configs, and altering their pipe menus,

But I need to look at Star; it may fulfil my requirements without any need to alter things. I'll boot into the Star live iso later today, and have a good go at it, to find out.

I'll also post a question at the BL forums later, to see if anyone there has any ideas.

#17 2018-09-27 00:09:26

golinux
Administrator

Have you looked at dev1fanboy's upgrade guides?

#18 2018-09-27 08:49:29

dhalgren

Yes, I have.I'll probably try it during semester break when it doesn't matter if my system is borked, and needs repair.

#19 2018-09-27 12:17:01

siva

https://www.respondus.com/products/lockdown-browser/

...Annual licensing of LockDown Browser includes 200 free seats of Respondus Monitor, a fully automated online proctoring solution that adds webcam technology to LockDown Browser.

That's not creepy or anything.  Hopefully you're not using this for a class on Orwellian literature lol.

Looks like it rejects VM usage of any sort, too.  I would hope your campus has some sort of virtual lab.

Also, if you do want to migrate sooner than later, it may be worthwhile to dump your spare configs in a separate partition or backup; bleach your system and install a preferred Devuan-based alternative; and then copy your backups wherever you desire (or keep that backup partition permanently mounted through /etc/fstab or whatever).

Last edited by siva (2018-09-27 12:34:17)

#20 2018-09-27 12:37:22

Debuser2018
Website

HextorBRX wrote:

You may want to contact kleiner_husar because he has done it already: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2120 Please send me a message if you know how to do it. It will give me a head start.

P.S. I am reading the Release Notes (better late than never) and I guess I was wrong about the default DM for KDE and LXQt.

XFCE: slim + consolekit
Cinnamon: lightdm + elogind
KDE: lightdm + elogind
LXQT: lightdm + elogind
MATE: slim + consolekit

Weird, sddm has been developed by the KDE and LXQt teams.

For me, Cinnamon worked with LXDM only. Lightdm has shutdown, restart buttons grayed out. Polkit issues.

Board footer