The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-15 14:50:02

DuaneBarry

No sound in firefox-esr 60.2

Hi all.
Sorry for my poor english and probably for crosspost .
With 60.2.0esr-1~deb9u2 and ALSA i have no sound with Firefox when i browse site like youtube with console error "OpenCubeb() failed to init cubeb". Probably because of this https://gitlab.com/Monsterovich/firefox-fuckpa ?
I installed chromium on my Devuan ASCII and audio of the site with audible content work great.
Excuse me for this rant.
Bye.

.mario

#2 2018-09-15 15:05:28

MiyoLinux

Re: No sound in firefox-esr 60.2

DuaneBarry wrote:

Hi all.
Sorry for my poor english and probably for crosspost .
With 60.2.0esr-1~deb9u2 and ALSA i have no sound with Firefox when i browse site like youtube with console error "OpenCubeb() failed to init cubeb". Probably because of this https://gitlab.com/Monsterovich/firefox-fuckpa ?
I installed chromium on my Devuan ASCII and audio of the site with audible content work great.
Excuse me for this rant.
Bye.

.mario

Hi DuaneBarry!

Yes, the latest version of Firefox-ESR requires pulseaudio for sound. However, you can still use it with ALSA. smile

First, you need to install apulse...

apt install apulse

Now, with that installed, open your terminal (or Run Command), and enter...

apulse firefox-esr

When Firefox opens, go to YouTube and see if sound works. If it does...

I edited this, because it had been so long that I forgot what I actually did. I had to go to another partition to make sure I was correct, because I remembered that my original instructions didn't work for me. tongue

Open your file manager. Make it show hidden files. Navigate to ~/.local/share/applications (if you don't have that folder, create it.)

Create a new file, and name it anything you like, but it has to end with .desktop. I named mine ffesr.desktop

When the file opens, copy and paste the following into it...

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Firefox
Exec=apulse firefox-esr
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Network;
Icon=firefox

Notice the name is Firefox. That will differentiate it between Firefox-ESR and this one (that you're creating) in the menu.

Save and close the file. It should appear in your menu after that.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-09-15 16:26:59)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2018-09-15 15:47:31

golinux
Administrator

@MiyoLinux . . . Thank you!   That is perfect for when the time comes.  Won't go there until there is no other option.

#4 2018-09-15 16:27:44

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

@MiyoLinux . . . Thank you!   That is perfect for when the time comes.  Won't go there until there is no other option.

Sorry golinux. I just edited that post, because I remembered something...it's explained in the edit.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#5 2018-09-17 17:23:08

DuaneBarry

Thank you MiyoLinux.
Sorry MiyoLinux i have nothing against you, I hope you have understood.
Thank you for the answer and solution, but sorry for me is an unacceptable solution.
Because this is another situation where we see a meddling of the same "characters" who created systemd and a short-sighted approach of the Firefox developers. Chrome/Chromium is "made" from Google and I do not want to use it.
So I pinned firefox with /etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-esr like this:

Package: firefox-esr
Pin: version 52.9.0esr-*
Pin-Priority: 1001

...while it lasts.
Thank you, again MiyoLinux.
Bye.

.mario

#6 2018-09-17 19:31:06

Ron

Instead of using an old FF version why not switch to either Pale Moon, Basilisk, Waterfox, or Iceweasel?

#7 2018-09-18 11:08:59

Debuser2018
Website

I'm using ubuntuzilla repository for new firefox quantum (62.0) in Devuan ASCII. It installs into /opt and so far working good.
https://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntuzilla/w … stallation

#8 2018-09-18 16:34:38

siva

Ron wrote:

Instead of using an old FF version...Pale Moon, Basilisk, Waterfox, or Iceweasel?

Uh...have you looked at the version histories that each one is based on?  And which ones have been unmaintained (for several years)?

On the note of apulse, has anyone tried just adjusting their ~/.asoundrc?
https://codelab.wordpress.com/2017/12/1 … he-rescue/

Last edited by siva (2018-09-18 17:05:42)

#9 2018-09-18 17:39:30

Ron

siva wrote:
Uh...have you looked at the version histories that each one is based on?  And which ones have been unmaintained (for several years)?

Pale Moon is a TRUE fork of Firefox. Where it totally split off from Firefox is immaterial. If an update from FF applies to Pale Moon, PM gets it. It also gets its own updates independent of FF. It just had a new release a few weeks ago. Basilisk had a new release even sooner. Waterfox is also currently maintained. And I read somewhere that Iceweasel is now forked from Basilisk. I really don't understand your post.

Last edited by Ron (2018-09-18 18:28:49)

#10 2018-09-18 20:50:21

siva

Ron wrote:

I really don't understand your post.

My point is that the ESR branch is no less an "old" version of Firefox than any of the listed derivatives: they all use "old" code and are actively maintained, their UIs being clear, visual examples.  The biggest difference is their project's goals.  ESR sacrifices "newness" for overall stability and security updates.  Its forks are separate projects, with their own separate goals, and there are already threads here which profess their pros and cons.

I read somewhere that Iceweasel is now forked from Basilisk

I am curious where you read that iceweasel is something other than a transitional package to firefox-esr.

Where it [Palemoon] totally split off from Firefox is immaterial.

The very "material" difference is the upstream Firefox ecosystem -- which is creating some of the problems that OP inadvertently discovered.  Without Mozilla's objectives changing over the years, PM would never have had its past; because it is still changing, and significantly, PM may lose an advantage in the future.  On the other hand, the ESR branch will, at least, be "stable enough."  Many people are okay with that.

#11 2018-09-18 21:27:43

Ron

siva wrote:
I am curious where you read that iceweasel is something other than a transitional package to firefox-esr.

Here:
https://www.hyperbola.info/
https://www.hyperbola.info/news/iceweas … easel-esr/

and here:
http://thereisonlyxul.org/

EDIT
I see this has been split from the original thread. In that thread, that thread's OP stated he was going back to 52.9 ESR from 60 ESR. That's why I wrote about using an "old," meaning no longer supported, browser. smile

Last edited by Ron (2018-09-18 21:38:47)

#12 2018-09-18 22:37:35

MiyoLinux

DuaneBarry wrote:

Thank you MiyoLinux.
Sorry MiyoLinux i have nothing against you, I hope you have understood.
Thank you for the answer and solution, but sorry for me is an unacceptable solution.
Because this is another situation where we see a meddling of the same "characters" who created systemd and a short-sighted approach of the Firefox developers. Chrome/Chromium is "made" from Google and I do not want to use it.
So I pinned firefox with /etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-esr like this:

Package: firefox-esr
Pin: version 52.9.0esr-*
Pin-Priority: 1001

...while it lasts.
Thank you, again MiyoLinux.
Bye.

.mario

I understand! smile

Each user "should" be free to do what is best for their own personal situation. wink

In my case, I am a very boring user and my web browsing is very limited; therefore, my "fix" suits me and my situation...it may not be what's best for others. Take care friend! smile

Edited to add: My reasoning for creating a new desktop file is this...it simply negates the need to edit the original Firefox ESR desktop file when new versions are released. wink I'm okay with having two "Firefox" listings in my menu, but others may be opposed to that. tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-09-18 22:52:01)

#13 2018-09-19 00:33:37

Panopticon

+1 for Palemoon.

Interesting resource here: http://thereisonlyxul.org/

#14 2018-09-19 01:17:52

siva

@Ron: I had no idea that hyperbola continued the name.  Thanks for the share!  Also, I didn't realize that 60.x was now in the Ascii security repo.  I had skimmed the debian package list for esr and kept seeing 52.9 in the main repositories.

I guess to try to rectify this back on topic...Waterfox sound works as expected without pulse? ^_^  (I'll see myself out the door now.)

Board footer