The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-26 23:04:59

msi
Member
Registered: 2017-02-04
Posts: 37

Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

Rationale

Dealing with the question which GNU+Linux distribution to install in a certain case can be quite a daunting task. One and possibly the main factor that often makes it unnecessarily time-consuming is that most distributions don't seem to offer a concise overview of what you can expect from them, so you could easily compare them. This is what websites like DistroWatch or Wikipedia's Comparison of Linux distributions are normally for. However, they tend to be out of date, potentially incorrect and may, on the one side, offer information that is largely irrelevant to the average user (e. g. "approximate number of pre-compiled packages" in the above-mentioned Wikipedia page) and, on the other, lack information that is relevant (e. g. the kernel version used by the distribution).

In an effort to provide such an overview for Devuan, I've drafted the following "Devuan fact sheet". So far, it includes information on everything I usually want to know about a GNU+Linux distribution. So, feel free to propose additions or removals. Also, the name is just a working title (which is why I've put it in quotes).

As I've already mentioned in the discussion on #devuan, the whole thing could probably be auto-generated by a script in the future, so it would require almost no maintenance.

"Devuan fact sheet"

  • Current stable version: 1.0

  • Code name: Jessie

  • Release date: 2017-05-27

  • Kernel version: 3.16.39

  • Init system: SysVinit

  • Package managment system: Advanced Package Tool (APT)

  • Package format: deb

  • Current ports ("Supported hardware architectures"): amd64, armel, armhf, i386     # not sure, if "armel" and "armhf" part is to be considered correct

  • Desktop Environments packaged: LXDE, MATE, Xfce   # maybe provide version information

  • Available images (and their approx. sizes): DVD (4GB), CD (>650MB), NETINST (>270MB)  # this is a bit tricky, since sizes sometimes differ quite a bit between architectures, also the embedded and live images aren't included here yet

++UPDATE++

As you can read below, the whole thing has been moved to gitlab: https://git.devuan.org/msi/devuan-at-a-glance
Also it has seen quite a bit of work by me and golinux and is now up for review. So, your comments and criticism are very welcome (here or on gitlab).

Last edited by msi (2017-05-27 21:46:26)

Offline

#2 2017-05-27 05:39:30

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 654

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

Thanks for putting that together.  It's probably a good idea to have that info somewhere on the site.   Now to find the right place for it . . . maybe in a float to the right of the mirrors list.  I'll fiddle with that when I have a chance . . .

Online

#3 2017-05-27 16:17:30

msi
Member
Registered: 2017-02-04
Posts: 37

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

I've now moved this to gitlab: https://git.devuan.org/msi/devuan-at-a-glance

Offline

#4 2017-05-27 18:56:42

fanderal
Member
Registered: 2017-01-14
Posts: 5

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

Thank you for the work you're doing, msi!

I'd like to suggest adding a based-on comment.

My guess is that most users trying a new-to-them distro are current Linux users having some level familiarity and personal preference; as opposed to someone completely new to Linux. I've found it easier to choose when I know a distro's origins... without having to hunt for it. wink

Offline

#5 2017-05-27 22:06:52

msi
Member
Registered: 2017-02-04
Posts: 37

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

fanderal wrote:

I'd like to suggest adding a based-on comment.

I generally see your point. However, we decided not to include that info because if there is one piece of information on Devuan that you really don't have to hunt for, it is Devuan being a fork of Debian. It's right there on the front page at devuan.org: "Devuan GNU+Linux is a fork of Debian without systemd."

Last edited by msi (2017-05-27 22:07:41)

Offline

#6 2017-05-27 23:04:51

sgage
Member
Registered: 2016-12-01
Posts: 59

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

Had a look at the fact sheet - good idea, and good job! One very tiny thing, and I am not sure of the official protocol... Is the code name supposed to be capitalized, or all lower case - jessie instead of Jessie? It's a pedantic little point, but I wonder what the official position is on that...

Offline

#7 2017-05-28 00:22:34

msi
Member
Registered: 2017-02-04
Posts: 37

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

Thanks for having a look.

I doubt that there is something like an official position on the spelling of release code names in Devuan. For example, see https://devuan.org/os/releases. So, spelling it "Jessie" should be just fine. The official release announcement says "Jessie" as well.

Offline

#8 2017-05-28 00:32:50

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 654

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

But keep in mind that in the list of minor planet names, our next release should be ASCII - all caps!.  File names will still be lower case of course.

Online

#9 2017-05-31 14:47:21

Altoid
Member
Registered: 2017-05-07
Posts: 4

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

Hello:

msi wrote:

... drafted the following "Devuan fact sheet".
... auto-generated by a script in the future, so it would require almost no maintenance.

Really good idea.
Thanks.

msi wrote:

[*]Desktop Environments packaged: LXDE, MATE, Xfce   # maybe provide version information[/*]

IMO, including the version information for *any* package as relevant as the DE is a good idea. 

Cheers,

A.

Offline

#10 2017-06-18 01:02:11

msi
Member
Registered: 2017-02-04
Posts: 37

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

The final product has been called "Quick overview" and is online at https://devuan.org/os/#quick-overview.

Offline

#11 2017-06-18 03:13:36

pekman
Member
From: /usr/bin/pekman
Registered: 2017-05-11
Posts: 51

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

minimal.iso is missing In Available images

Offline

#12 2017-06-18 03:50:48

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 654

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

pekman wrote:

minimal.iso is missing In Available images

No, it's there - Minimal Live (~300MB) - unless you're thinking of something else . . .

Online

#13 2017-06-18 03:59:46

pekman
Member
From: /usr/bin/pekman
Registered: 2017-05-11
Posts: 51

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

mini.iso => 40MB

Offline

#14 2017-06-18 05:48:44

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 654

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

pekman wrote:

mini.iso => 40MB

I'm not seeing that in the Devuan repos.  Link?

Online

#15 2017-06-18 06:41:39

pekman
Member
From: /usr/bin/pekman
Registered: 2017-05-11
Posts: 51

Offline

#16 2017-06-18 10:21:38

nixer
Member
From: North Carolina, USA
Registered: 2016-11-30
Posts: 36

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

pekman, I just clicked on the link to the mini.iso shows as there and the mini.iso does download.

Offline

#17 2017-06-22 01:12:35

msi
Member
Registered: 2017-02-04
Posts: 37

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

If that is an official Devuan installation image, then why isn't it to be found in the Devuan release archive?

Offline

#18 2017-06-22 01:19:05

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 654

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

msi wrote:

If that is an official Devuan installation image, then why isn't it to be found in the Devuan release archive?

@msi . . . It is here at the link that Pekman provided above.  It is one of the netboot images.  No reason to single it out for a special mention that I can see.

Online

#19 2017-06-22 15:49:18

mckaygerhard
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 157
Website

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

Please the link https://git.devuan.org/groups/devuan-doc seems no have activity.. but the sheet sayd "several".. i only see two sources... debian and the "inactive" link or i mean no activity!

Offline

#20 2017-06-22 15:57:39

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 654

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

mckaygerhard wrote:

Please the link https://git.devuan.org/groups/devuan-doc seems no have activity.. but the sheet sayd "several".. i only see two sources... debian and the "inactive" link or i mean no activity!

Why?  There is currently no useful information there.  A final version of the Quick Overview lives here on the website:
https://devuan.org/os/

Online

#21 2017-06-22 16:01:52

mckaygerhard
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 157
Website

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

so then not post that link! the project of documentation seem 2 years inactive! so there's no project at all

Offline

#22 2017-06-22 16:03:21

mckaygerhard
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 157
Website

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

i mean: https://devuan.org/os/#quick-overview said "several" sources in docs, but the  link! the project of documentation seem 2 years inactive! so there's no project at all

Offline

#23 2017-06-22 16:04:22

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 654

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

mckaygerhard wrote:

so then not post that link! the project of documentation seem 2 years inactive! so there's no project at all

Where exactly are you seeing a link to that?  Sometimes links are to offer information.  Sometimes links are to encourage participation.

Online

#24 2017-06-22 16:06:06

mckaygerhard
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 157
Website

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

i mean: https://devuan.org/os/#quick-overview said "several" sources in docs, but the  link! the project of documentation seem 2 years inactive! so there's no project at all

several other pages too.. seems there's its no organization.. i recomended to put the complete Devuan page at the git and one team control the post that will be made it!

Offline

#25 2017-06-22 16:08:26

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 654

Re: Draft: "Devuan fact sheet"

You are confusing the contents of the 'Quick Overview' (contained in the table) with the content of the webpage.  The link to Dec Devuan is an invitation for participation to create documentation.

Online

Board footer