The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-31 18:20:25

P1nky

[SOLVED] Daedalus on Dell Inspiron fails

Been happy with Devuan for years now, having run Debian previously, but there seems to be a catastrophic failure with Daedalus sad

Initially I tried a straight upgrade in place (and after reading the notes, ensured I included the non-free-firmware), and it seemed to install cleanly, but on rebooting, I was at the CLI (not a problem in itself, but I need X for work!) I assumed that there was some issue with the config, so cleared out any residual X configs, and tried starting X, but no joy. On checking the log files, it simply seg-faults, and the log suggests some issue with nouveau. As this is my main work laptop, I had to simply drop back to the chimaera installation. I have tried a fresh install of daedalus when I had a free hour, with the exact same failure, so it appears that there's an issue with the card/driver.

For reference, the primary card is an Intel GT2, and the secondary card is a GTX 1650. This has been flawless under chimaera (using Optimus).

Is it worth trying again, and installing the nvidia drivers, or am I likely to face further issues with that? I won't have the capacity to work without this system for a while, so anything that will take more than a few hours of outage is going to be tricky.

#2 2023-10-31 19:44:51

golinux
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Daedalus on Dell Inspiron fails

P1nky wrote:

. . . ensured I included the nonfree-firmware) . . .

If that is a typo, it needs to be corrected. If that is what you actually tried to install, try non-free-firmware instead.

#3 2023-10-31 21:37:59

P1nky

golinux wrote:
P1nky wrote:

. . . ensured I included the nonfree-firmware) . . .

If that is a typo, it needs to be corrected. If that is what you actually tried to install, try non-free-firmware instead.

That was a typo in my post, not the config.
Just to update, blacklisting the nouveau driver has fixed it (once I got the other little "gotchas" resolved). This was on a fresh installation, so I'm still finalising everything, rather than restoring the chimaera installation and upgeading that.

I think I may avoid Dell kit in future!

#4 2023-11-01 07:11:33

soren

P1nky wrote:

I think I may avoid Dell kit in future!

Newer Dell inspiron laptops are ok in my experience with daedalus. Maybe stay clear of anything intel and nvidia wink.
Ive had a good experience so far with amd ryzen and radeon graphics.

#5 2023-11-01 09:24:18

jemadux

I have an dell laptop [1] . it working fine for me  ... probably because i dont have nvidia card

[1] https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Mo … 3728H?th=1

Dev1 Stable | openrc | XFCE
Greetings from Greece

Board footer