The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-05 05:49:35

auanta

[Solved] desktop and minimal live isos not booting on usb

On different devices I am trying all the ISOs and I ran across an error with the desktop-live and minimal-live

Plug in the USB, start computer from USB, it gets to a GRUB menu and you can't proceed past it.

On one computer, it says nothing, only on the first option it counts down 7 seconds and then nothing, it starts over the countdown.

On another, I can see the errors:

"error: invalid magic number
error: you need to load the kernel first"
And for memtest: "error: file `/live/memtest86+.bin` not found.

"Press any key to continue..."

Also a the bottom it says:
"error: no video mode activated.nd./vga.mod' not found.t found.nd."

The installer-iso seems fine but doesn't have firmware like the other two. I'll have to try loading the firmware blobs I got off debian.org from usb tomorrow. Also for some reason I can't get my wifi dongles to work during the install, so I'm stuck with ethernet til I load the firmware.

The respective ISO files matched the checksums, sizes, and signatures. The only thing that looked screwy to me is that for both the problem ISOs, the signed checksum has an expired signature.

Last edited by auanta (2022-08-05 18:01:56)

Devuan GNU/Linux, the sysadmin secret sauce
> "I use Hyperbola btw" my favorite BSD wink

Disclaimer: If I give you any technical advice, always double check it, because even though I used GNU/Linux many years, I'm still learning, just like you. I try to help, but I could be wrong! Empower yourself!

#2 2022-08-05 17:31:40

auanta

Re: [Solved] desktop and minimal live isos not booting on usb

I cleared the USB stick, and dd'd the ISO again, the desktop-live worked. And it is beautiful.

Cleared the stick and dd again with the minimal-live, GRUB didn't load kernel, same errors. Cleared it again, dd again, now it works. A couple of the options ask for username and password, that's kinda annoying, have to go find the notes where the ISO's login is stored (I found it, it's in the README). The "access" options let you get in without a login.

The first thing I see (only happens on minimal-live) is it's trying to select a screen resolution or video modes, various options for VGA and VESA but you can just press spacebar to continue.

Then you're in root, so I do an ls and I see the README is still named Beowulf. That will need to be corrected.

The memtest does not work. So, a couple bug reports will be opened.

Everything else is good. I think I am just having some problem in the process of DD'ing the ISOs to USB stick.

The minimal-live README says it's more of a live system for live use, not an installer and to use this live to install "at your own risk," scary message so I'll go back to netinstall even though desktop-live would work just fine.

Update: it was a bad usb stick

Last edited by auanta (2022-08-05 18:32:38)

Devuan GNU/Linux, the sysadmin secret sauce
> "I use Hyperbola btw" my favorite BSD wink

Disclaimer: If I give you any technical advice, always double check it, because even though I used GNU/Linux many years, I'm still learning, just like you. I try to help, but I could be wrong! Empower yourself!

#3 2022-08-05 19:45:03

golinux
Administrator

Re: [Solved] desktop and minimal live isos not booting on usb

Happy to hear you're up and running and that you think it is "beautiful". The screen resolution stuff may have to do with the fact that the minimal live was designed for visually impaired access. Yeah, hardware can bite sometimes.  smile

Board footer