The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-06 18:29:28

Roger
Website

general enquiry from potential user

I have done programming and worked with unix workstations as a physicist, most of my working life, and in retirement have been running Linux for several years on two or three machines. Many years ago I switched from RedHat to Debian because I did not like being told how I should do things. I am currently running the latest version of Debian on two desktop machines, and in a VirtualBox on a Windows laptop. I am getting disenchanted with the increasing complexity of Debian, having just had to deal with restarting inetd, and am interested on the possibility of moving to Devuan.

This post is primarily to introduce myself, but also to seek some reassurance that I could run my current set of some 800 packages on Devuan. They include compilers, apache2, samba and the usual utilities. As an old dog who does not want to learn new tricks unless I have to, I do not like desktop environments and graphical interfaces; my choice is to use fvwm and run xterms, plus x11 programs I have written, as I find entering commands usually is faster and works better than answering multiple questions on dropdown menus.

Probably the best way to familiarize myself with Devuan is to start another virtual machine.

#2 2019-04-06 18:50:27

catprints

Re: general enquiry from potential user

You are in the right place. I think you will find Devuan to be a simple changeover. Someone more technical may
provide more info. welcome.
edit:
this might be useful https://pkginfo.devuan.org/

Last edited by catprints (2019-04-06 19:23:15)

"The obstacle is the path."

#3 2019-04-06 20:24:24

dxrobertson

Devuan is simply Debian, with modifications to the Debian packages that require systemd.  Most all the packages used in Devuan come straight from Debian.  If your system runs to your satisfaction under Debain, it will certainly run fine under Devuan.

I see no reason any of the software you mention wouldnt run fine under Devuan.  800 packages is no problem, thats "lite".  I currently have over 1500 packages on my "minimal" desktop.  I  cant speak for apache nor samba other than they are available.  I compile c, cpp, java and its always been a breeze getting things setup to do so. 

If you start out by installing the netinst.iso, you can deselect the desktop environment, and this will give you a minimal terminal-based system.  from there its simply performing apt installs (or aptitude if you prefer) of whatever you need, including as minimal of a desktop environment as you like.

I think you will be happy here.

#4 2019-04-07 10:18:15

golinux
Administrator

Welcome Roger.  You can also transition your current installations to Devuan.  There is documentation on the download page and ask here or on the dng mail list if you have questions.

#5 2019-04-07 10:24:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Hi Roger, welcome to the forums!

Roger wrote:

seek some reassurance that I could run my current set of some 800 packages on Devuan. They include compilers, apache2, samba and the usual utilities.

The Devuan repositories have almost all of the Debian packages so the transition should be pretty painless.

I love your website btw smile

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#6 2019-04-07 15:18:52

Roger
Website

Thanks.

The migration process looks no more difficult than the usual distribution upgrade process. It should also be easy to test on a virtual machine without running into trouble.

My VirtualBox runs on a Windows laptop, mainly because dual booting is not recommended, and Windows does at least handle drivers and wifi without trouble -- useful on the road to get into my home machines via ssh. All I use the laptop for is to run Linux in a virtual machine and use it as a remote terminal for my real computers.

#7 2019-04-07 16:34:27

ChuangTzu

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Hi Roger, welcome to the forums!

Roger wrote:

seek some reassurance that I could run my current set of some 800 packages on Devuan. They include compilers, apache2, samba and the usual utilities.

The Devuan repositories have almost all of the Debian packages so the transition should be pretty painless.

I love your website btw smile

Welcome Roger!

Agreed, regarding the repos and Roger's website.  Love and miss simple websites.  Long Live BBS/CBBS.  smile

Last edited by ChuangTzu (2019-04-07 16:34:46)

Board footer