The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-15 06:56:09

Tatwi
Website

Re: Odd mouse behaviour

This issue appears to be resolved for me now. I decided to reinstall Devuan 2.0 on a test hard drive again yesterday (otherwise same hardware as before) and I have not experienced the right click issue. Awesome, because that was really my only gripe with Devuan (I didn't want to accidentally delete items).

I haven't done much to customize this installation, beyond using the backport of kernel 4.19.0 (which works better with my AMD R9 270 video card). Here are the notes of the customization/installation, in case they are helpful...

Installation:
- Net install, Xfce desktop, no unusual choices or customizations.

Sudo:
- visudo opens in nano by default already. Woohoo! smile

Kernel 4.19:
- Add backports repo
echo "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
sudo apt-get update

- Update all packages to backports versions
sudo apt-get -t stretch-backports upgrade

- Search for available kernels
apt-cache search linux-image

- Install kernel 4.19
apt-get install linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

Uninstall Old Kernel:
- List installed kernels
dpkg --get-selections|grep linux-image

- Remove old kernel
sudo apt-get remove linux-image-4.9.0-6-amd64

AMD GPU Drivers:
apt-get install firmware-amd-graphics

Fix Screen Tearing:
- Double check that Xfce compositing is off (Menu > Settings > Window Manager Tweeks > Compositor).

- Install Compton
apt-get install compton compton-conf compton-conf-l10n

- Add Compton to startup (Menu > Settings > Session and Startup > Application Autostart)
compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc

#27 2019-02-16 12:54:22

xinomilo
Unknown

Tatwi wrote:

Kernel 4.19:
- Add backports repo
echo "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
sudo apt-get update

in Devuan you need ascii-backports, not stretch-backports. you shouldn't be mixing Debian/Devuan repos, not a good practice...

check : https://devuan.org/os/etc/apt/sources.list

Last edited by xinomilo (2019-02-16 12:55:18)

#28 2019-02-16 18:53:56

Tatwi
Website

xinomilo wrote:
Tatwi wrote:

Kernel 4.19:
- Add backports repo
sudo apt-get update

in Devuan you need ascii-backports, not stretch-backports. you shouldn't be mixing Debian/Devuan repos, not a good practice...

check : https://devuan.org/os/etc/apt/sources.list

Thanks. I'll change it.

Edit:
I changed the sources.list to the correct version for Devuan. Updated, fortunately nothing broke. Chalk that up to it being years since I have used a backport of anything and following a guide for Debian lol... Knowledge, use it or lose it! smile

Last edited by Tatwi (2019-02-16 20:39:09)

#29 2019-02-17 17:54:41

Tatwi
Website

Interestingly, now that I have installed Devuan on my SATA SSD (as apposed to a very old 80GB 5400RPM laptop drive), the right click problem has returned exactly as it was described before...

I don't get it.

A simple solution, if there was a setting for it, would be to make it such that one must left click the options in the "right click menu" to select them, rather than to either left or right click them. That way the instant double right click which sometimes occurs would be ignored, thereby making it at least seem like the issue has been resolved. Anyone know if Xfce has such a setting?

#30 2019-02-17 18:09:16

golinux
Administrator

Have you tried adjusting the acceleration/sensitivity of your mouse in Mouse and Touchpad from the main Applications menu?

#31 2019-02-17 18:36:49

Tatwi
Website

golinux wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the acceleration/sensitivity of your mouse in Mouse and Touchpad from the main Applications menu?

I have, but they don not appear to solve the issue. Setting "Double Click Time" to the max of 2000ms doesn't help. It seems to be a "debounce" issue, where the system is picking up multiple clicks from a single click for some reason. Interesting that it didn't happen when using an older drive; Perhaps the debounce code is depends on delay caused by loading the menu and its icons - this would be a poor way to program such a thing, but it would explain why the issue appears on a faster drive than a slower one. I'll check the source later this week I guess.

Last edited by Tatwi (2019-02-17 20:39:27)

Board footer