The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-24 14:39:46

Altoid

Odd mouse behaviour

Hello:

I have been experiencing some rather odd mouse 'right button' behaviour but I cannot remember when it started or associate it with anything desktop related.
It manifests itself mostly (or at least that's where it is most noticed) while browsing.

I use Firefox 55.0.3 64-bit in a stock Devuan ASCII installation.

When I 'right click' on a link, instead of getting the drop down menu so as to be able to select what to do ie: open link in new tab/window/private window, etc. it directly opens the link in a new tab.

To make things worse, this does not happen 'all' the time, it happens at totally random times and is also not related to the site I am viewing so I have been unable to reproduce it at will.

Edit: Forgot to add that another manifestation is that when selecting text on a web page to copy, a right click will not keep the menu that opens up 'open'.
I have to keep mi finger on the right button and drag the pointer to the action I want to perform eg: copy. 

And it does not have to do with the mouse as I have experienced the issue with a PS/2 mouse and two different brand/quality USB mice.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

A.

Edit: corrected mouse button name.

Last edited by Altoid (2018-10-25 21:12:07)

#2 2018-10-24 15:52:05

dxrobertson

Re: Odd mouse behaviour

Altoid wrote:

When I 'left click' on a link, instead of getting the drop down menu so as to be able to select what to do ie: open link in new tab/window/private window, etc. it directly opens the link in a new tab.

You probably mean Right-Click, but whatever.  I wonder if this is the same as your other problem, that the popup menu isnt displayed long enough for you to react.  And then the top menu option (Open Link in New Tab) is being selected "quickly" before you realize it?

Both these problems happen to me, randomly also, but I notice it in Thunar.  I can Right-Click on empty space to bring up the menu, and the top menu option "Create Folder" gets selected before I can react.  Also, experience your other problem; the menu quickly goes away and I have to hold the right button down and navigate the menu while its pressed. 

I am using an old HP usb wire mouse.

#3 2018-10-24 16:25:10

Tatwi
Website

dxrobertson wrote:
Altoid wrote:

When I 'left click' on a link, instead of getting the drop down menu so as to be able to select what to do ie: open link in new tab/window/private window, etc. it directly opens the link in a new tab.

You probably mean Right-Click, but whatever.  I wonder if this is the same as your other problem, that the popup menu isnt displayed long enough for you to react.  And then the top menu option (Open Link in New Tab) is being selected "quickly" before you realize it?

Both these problems happen to me, randomly also, but I notice it in Thunar.  I can Right-Click on empty space to bring up the menu, and the top menu option "Create Folder" gets selected before I can react.  Also, experience your other problem; the menu quickly goes away and I have to hold the right button down and navigate the menu while its pressed. 

I am using an old HP usb wire mouse.

I thought that was my imagination! I've noticed this happening from time to time as well. I'm not ruling out that it's a PEBKAC issue, but if it's not, how do you narrow down to find the root cause?

I'm using a Logitec M510 wireless mouse (with the receiver plugged into the keyboard 5" away), ASCII with XFCE.

Poking at Thunar, right clicking on the open space, it seems that if I click too quickly I can initiate a double left click (and that would be a definitive PEBKAC) which then triggers the default action (create folder). The didn't happen to me when I tested in Firefox (I normally use Chromium, doesn't happen there either) and that seems to be related to how Firefox doesn't  automatically select an option from the menu. So, that doesn't explain the issue Altoid is having.

By default the double click time in the XFCE Mouse and Touchpad panel is 250ms. Could try increasing it or perhaps it's already very low for Altoid for some reason. If that's not it, maybe it's an issue in the kernel module for mice where the "de-bounce" code isn't always effective.

#4 2018-10-24 16:29:52

Altoid

Hello:

dxrobertson wrote:

... probably mean Right-Click ...

Quite so ...  8^ o
Thanks - duly noted and corrected.

dxrobertson wrote:

... wonder if this is the same as your other problem, that the popup menu isnt displayed long enough for you to react.

Seems so.

The pop-up menu is displayed as long as I hold down the right mouse button.
If I let it go, the menu recedes. 

dxrobertson wrote:

... then the top menu option (Open Link in New Tab) is being selected "quickly" before you realize it?

Yes.
I right-click (at this point the pop-up menu should stay open, but it does not).
Like the previous example, the pop-up menu is displayed as long as I hold down the right mouse button.
If I let it go, the menu recedes. 

dxrobertson wrote:

Both these problems happen to me, randomly also, but I notice it in Thunar.

I think I have seen some strange behaviour in other apps, but it is in the browser where it is  most annoying.

dxrobertson wrote:

... Right-Click on empty space to bring up the menu, and the top menu option "Create Folder" gets selected before I can react.

I seem to recall having experienced this but I can's say much more.

dxrobertson wrote:

... experience your other problem; the menu quickly goes away ...

Well, at least it's not just me.

It has happened with three different pointing devices: the first one, a PS/2 mouse, a very solid + well made Wise edition, the second a crappy plasticky Verbatim and the actual one a brand new Logitech M100, all optical.

All three exhibited the exact same behaviour, so IMO it's definitely not a mouse thing.

Maybe it's something to do with the mouse drivers (?) selected by the default X server settings through udev (I think that's how it works).

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

A.

#5 2018-10-24 20:22:55

Altoid

Hello:

Tatwi wrote:

... my imagination!

It's not yours or mine.
Apparently.

Tatwi wrote:

... happening from time to time as well.
... not ruling out that it's a PEBKAC issue ...

You can rule it out.
Three of us with the same issue got together on short notice.
I'm sure there's many more 'right-click-button' victims out there.  8^D!

Tatwi wrote:

... how do you narrow down to find the root cause?

No idea.
Even though I have 20+ years of work with IT, that's way over my head.

IMHO it's a driver/udev or Xfce thing, a set of mouse parameters that maybe wrong and are common to all types of pointing devices of this type.
ie: PS/2, USB, wireless ...

I wonder if anyone with a touchpad has the same problem?

Tatwi wrote:

... M510 wireless mouse ...

Mouse type, model or interface seems to make no difference.

Tatwi wrote:

... default the double click time in the XFCE Mouse and Touchpad panel is 250ms.

I've tried changing those settings but with no evident results.

But IIRC, it started to happen after the last kernel upgrade. (not too sure though).
So I guess it is not kernel related.  (?)

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

A.

#6 2018-10-25 13:48:51

Panopticon

I get this too, i thought it was just my mouse.

Only happens in my xfce4 box as i tested this out today in my lxqt openbsd partition and didnt happen.

In xfce4 thunar, it will either open a new tab or create a new folder as soon as i right click into white space sometimes, i usually have to hold the right button down to ensure it stays within the rightclick menu there, most times its just a fidily fuck about nusance.

Last edited by Panopticon (2018-10-25 13:50:56)

#7 2018-10-25 14:17:35

golinux
Administrator

Panopticon wrote:

In xfce4 thunar, it will either open a new tab or create a new folder as soon as i right click into white space sometimes, i usually have to hold the right button down to ensure it stays within the rightclick menu . . .

My muscle memory has adapted to this unwanted selection glitch.  In fact I don't remember it happening in quite some time.  Maybe it helps that I have set rather slow/lazy mouse reaction times.

#8 2018-10-25 14:28:14

Altoid

Hello:

Panopticon wrote:

I get this too, i thought it was just my mouse.

Aha! Now there's four of us.

Panopticon wrote:

Only happens in my xfce4 box ...

I see ...
That narrows the possible origin of the problem quite a bit.

Panopticon wrote:

In xfce4 thunar, it will either open a new tab or create a new folder ...

Yes, seems to be the same.

Panopticon wrote:

... just a fidily fuck about nusance.

It gets on my nerves, particularly when it happens in the browser and when I need to copy/paste something.
Very annoying.

Anyone have any idea as to how it can be fixed?

Thanks for your input.

A.

#9 2018-10-25 14:35:02

Altoid

Hello:

golinux wrote:

... muscle memory has adapted ...

I have not had this problem for too long.
And don't think I can adapt, it being so annoying for me.

golinux wrote:

... helps that I have set rather slow/lazy mouse reaction times.

I'll look at those settings.

I assume that you are referring to Applications -> Settings -> Mouse and Touchpad -> Behaviour?

Could you post the values you have yours are set to so I can try and see if that has an effect for me?

ie:
Double Click Time = XXX ms
Double Click Distance = XXX px

Thanks in advance,

A.

#10 2018-10-25 14:44:50

Panopticon

Not knowing enough about xfce i would point it towards xfwm at being the culprit. Openbox i have no issues with this type of thing.

#11 2018-10-25 15:09:07

golinux
Administrator

Altoid wrote:

I assume that you are referring to Applications -> Settings -> Mouse and Touchpad -> Behaviour?

Yes.

Could you post the values you have yours are set to so I can try and see if that has an effect for me?
ie:
Double Click Time = XXX ms
Double Click Distance = XXX px

Sure.  Note that I have an old PS2 mouse.  Nothing fancy.

Double Click Time = 400-500 ms
Double Click Distance = 5 px

#12 2018-10-25 17:23:22

Altoid

Hello:

golinux wrote:

... old PS2 mouse. Nothing fancy.

Some of my best mice are PS2.   8^D

golinux wrote:

Yes!
That apparently did the trick.   =-)

I set them at:
-> Double Click Time = 425 ms
-> Double Click Distance = 5 px

It seems that if the Double Click Time is too short, it behaves like a single click, not only at the Left Button but at the Right Button also
Shouldn't work that way.

Isn't Double Click an action assigned only to the left button?
Then why would Double Click Time affect how the right button responds to input?

I think that may be where the source of the problem is.

In any case, the problem (at least for me) seems to have gone away.
As long as I don't need a shorter Double Click Time, it will be in check.

I'd appreciate it if other forum members with the same problem tried the settings I have used and see if it goes away for them too.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2018-10-25 17:31:46)

#13 2018-10-25 17:53:17

golinux
Administrator

Delighted to hear that it worked for you.  Hopefully for others too.

I never searched for a solution.  I stumbled on it by accident because I just can't click fast enough to use the default setting!   The speed required was too stressful.  LOLOL!

#14 2018-10-25 21:11:33

Altoid

Hello:

golinux wrote:

Delighted to hear that it worked for you.

Spoke too soon ...  8^ º !

Just now (I've rebooted a couple of times since I posted) I've noticed the right-click button syndrome is back.

But just like before, it's not constant.
It just happens repeatedly and after a while on the same page/same link, it's not happening.

Seems to be a sneaky bastard ...
So back to the drawing board it is.

I'll change the Double Click Time setting to 450 ms and see what happens.
But there's just so much you can stretch that setting without hampering mouse functionality.

I don't think the Double Click Distance setting is involved so I'll leave it there.

Sorry for the bad news.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

A.

#15 2018-10-25 21:20:29

golinux
Administrator

Have you tried single click instead of double?

#16 2018-10-25 21:53:54

Altoid

Hello:

golinux wrote:

Have you tried single click instead of double?

If you mean the Edit -> Preferences -> Behaviour -> Navigation -> Single click to activate items in Thunar, no ...
I had not thougth of that one.

I use it quite a lot, one of the first things I used to set up everytime I installed an OS, that and the type repeat settings in BIOS.

I recall (waaay back when) when it was the new thing through some special add-on software that only came with the (expensive) MS-Intellimouse.
I was delighted with that as well as with being able to go off one edge of the screen to appear at the other edge.   
So young ...

But it is only supposed to affect left button behaviour.

Now, if you mean what I do when I right-click on a link, I just do a single click, not a double click.

Let's see if the new setting makes things better and wait for the rest of the affected parties to report.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

A.

#17 2018-10-26 16:14:26

James1138

What about installing "mdetect" and reboot? It is a small program that help auto-detect any mouse attached to the system. I use it any seen no problems.

https://packages.debian.org/source/stretch/mdetect

James
Indiana/USA

#18 2018-10-26 21:25:24

Altoid

Hello:

James1138 wrote:

What about installing "mdetect" ...

Thanks for the tip, I did not know about that app.

But that's not the problem as both Devuan ASCII and X Server probe and detect the mouse properly:

groucho@devuan:~$ lsusb
Bus 010 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 005: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
Bus 007 Device 004: ID 046d:c077 Logitech, Inc. M105 Optical Mouse
--- snip ---
groucho@devuan:~$ 
groucho@devuan:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i mouse
[    38.133] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB Optical Mouse (/dev/input/event4)
[    38.133] (**) Logitech USB Optical Mouse: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
[    38.133] (**) Logitech USB Optical Mouse: Applying InputClass "libinput pointer catchall"
[    38.133] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB Optical Mouse'
[    38.133] (**) Logitech USB Optical Mouse: always reports core events
[    38.192] (II) input device 'Logitech USB Optical Mouse', /dev/input/event4 is tagged by udev as: Mouse
[    38.192] (II) input device 'Logitech USB Optical Mouse', /dev/input/event4 is a pointer caps
[    38.224] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Logitech USB Optical Mouse" (type: MOUSE, id 10)
[    38.224] (**) Logitech USB Optical Mouse: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[    38.224] (**) Logitech USB Optical Mouse: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[    38.224] (**) Logitech USB Optical Mouse: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[    38.284] (II) input device 'Logitech USB Optical Mouse', /dev/input/event4 is tagged by udev as: Mouse
[    38.284] (II) input device 'Logitech USB Optical Mouse', /dev/input/event4 is a pointer caps
[    38.284] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB Optical Mouse (/dev/input/mouse1)

Thanks for your input.

A.

#19 2018-10-26 21:53:49

Altoid

Hello:

Altoid wrote:

... new setting makes things better and wait for the rest of the affected parties ...

No, the new setting does not alter the previous results.
But I seem to have been successful in reproducing the problem, at least in Firefox 55.0.3 64-bit.

This morning I booted up, opened up Firefox and went to read the IT news at https://www.theregister.co.uk/.
Sure enough, right-click to open a link brought about the dreaded right-click problem.

Just to test, I closed down FF and loaded it again and opened then same page, same thing.

Then I opened another site and that went well, so I asked myself if it could be a 'per web site' issue.
On a whim I opened up another tab with the same previously affected page and what happened?
The problem was gone but when I went back to the original affected page, the problem was still there.
ie: not being able to right-click to open a link or copy a selection. 

So, to see if I could recreate the problem I opened up two 'parallel' pages of other sites right after restarting FF.
I was able to: the first page has the problem, the second does not.

To describe the problem as accurately as possible:

The problem manifests itself (at least in FF 55.0.3 64-bit) on the first web page opened after a fresh load of the Firefox browser.
It does not do so in the same page opened in another tab.

If I open a previously affected page on yet another tab, it is also unaffected.

If I close all tabs, both affected and unaffected pages, and reopen them, the problem does not show up again until I close and reopen FF.

It does not matter it it a fresh boot or not, just a freshly loaded FF.

I'd appreciate some feedback from other Firefox users to see if it is just a Firefox 55.0.3 64-bit issue or if it affects later versions also.
Ever since these DHs at Mozilla came up with those ridiculous rounded tabs (quite a long time ago) I have installed the Squared Australis tabs add-on on every update.

They have taken their time to finally get rid of the rounded tabs absolutely everybody hated but on the way there royally screwed up the way the drop down menus open.
ie: in this and previous versions, the drop down menu would open down and to the right or left, according to how much room was available on screen to show the links.

In versions after 55.0.3, it opens down and only to the right, ignoring that there's no room left on the screen where FF is open and moving part of the menu to the screen at the right.
Bug reports were actually answered suggesting that the links be shortened so that they would not go on to the next screen. (!!!)

Absolute rubbish, so for the time being I will stick to this version which is the last one affected by this new drop down menu ''feature'.

Thanks in advance,

A.

#20 2018-10-26 22:11:31

golinux
Administrator

Have you checked the usually useless .xsession-errors?

#21 2018-10-26 23:38:31

Altoid

Hello:

golinux wrote:

Have you checked the usually useless .xsession-errors?

No, had not thought of looking there.

To check, I opened the .xsession-errors file, took note of the last entry line number and closed it.
Then I opened FF, generated the error and reopened .xsession-errors.

These are the new lines generated:

Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
1540594962814 addons.webextension.{5657c026-efc3-4860-b43b-16e4eaa8a9aa} WARN Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
1540594962832 addons.webextension.jid1-MnnxcxisBPnSXQ@jetpack WARN Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.

The Xlib: lines are all over the place, I'd say over 75% of the file content is that specific line.
RANDR is disabled by the Nvidia proprietary drivers so it has a well known cause.     

groucho@devuan:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i RANDR
[    34.234] (WW) NVIDIA: Xinerama is enabled, so RandR has likely been disabled by the
[    37.011] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Not registering RandR
[    37.011] (==) RandR enabled
[    37.100] (WW) NVIDIA(1): Not registering RandR
[    37.100] (==) RandR enabled
[    37.315] (WW) NVIDIA(2): Not registering RandR
[    37.315] (==) RandR enabled

The other new lines are of evident browser/add-on origin

addons.webextension.{5657c026-efc3-4860-b43b-16e4eaa8a9aa} WARN Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
addons.webextension.jid1-MnnxcxisBPnSXQ@jetpackn WARN Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.

I have a few addons in FF:

Calomel SSL Validation
No Coin
Privacy Badger
Squared Australis Tabs
UBlock Origin
YouTube ALL HTML5
YouTube Flash Player

When I searched the web for the 5657c026-efc3-4860-b43b-16e4eaa8a9aa, I came up with a apge with this mention:

---
Name: No Coin - Block miners on the web!
Version: 0.4.14
Enabled: true
ID: {5657c026-efc3-4860-b43b-16e4eaa8a9aa}
---

So I tried disabling No Coin to see if the problem went away but no, that did not keep the problem from happening.

A search for the jid1-MnnxcxisBPnSXQ@jetpackn string did not come up with an exact match, but I found partial matches and they are all linked to the Privacy Badger add-on.

Then I tried disabling Privacy Badger to see if the problem went away but no, that did not keep the problem from happening either. 

I then, tired of all this, disabled all the addons I have installed in FF, but still no cigar.  =^/

Will have to keep looking.
But where?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Best,

A.

#22 2018-10-28 07:56:32

Tatwi
Website

golinux wrote:
Altoid wrote:

I'm giving these settings ago as of now. Hopefully it works out. Wasn't really sure how high was too high for those settings.

Incidentally, I tried https://www.theregister.co.uk/ in Firefox (60.2.2esr) and I could right click normally on every link I tried. Only addon I have enabled is UBlock Origin.

Update 2018.10.28:10:12PM EST:
Yup, the issue is still happening to me when using Thunar. Super annoying and somewhat dangerous (would hate to accidentally delete something/everything important!).

Sorry I don't have anything useful to add in the way of troubleshooting or explanations. I don't seem to have the issue with all software, not even other GTK+ applications.

I'm going to try using Caja instead of Thunar for now.

Last edited by Tatwi (2018-10-29 02:16:01)

#23 2018-10-29 11:42:49

fsmithred
Administrator

When I 'right click' on a link, instead of getting the drop down menu so as to be able to select what to do ie: open link in new tab/window/private window, etc. it directly opens the link in a new tab.

To make things worse, this does not happen 'all' the time, it happens at totally random times and is also not related to the site I am viewing so I have been unable to reproduce it at will.

I get this occasionally. Usually, it happens to me in thunar, but it has happened in firefox. Usually, the first item in the drop-down menu is the one that gets selected, but a few days ago, I right-clicked on a firefox tab to look at the context menu there, and it "automatically" selected "Move to new window" which is the fourth item in the list.

I think the problem is caused by movement of the mouse when right-clicking. Normally, if you right-click and release, the context menu stays open. If you right click and drag the mouse to highlight an item in the menu and then release, that item gets chosen/executed. I'm pretty sure I was not careful with the mouse when I clicked on that ff tab, and I moved the mouse enough during the click to get that fourth item.

#24 2018-10-29 14:04:33

Altoid

Hello:

fsmithred wrote:

... but it has happened in firefox.
... the problem is caused by movement of the mouse when right-clicking.

Hmm ...
No, I thought so the first two or three times.
But no, it isn't.
Besides, I had already taken my morning pill.  8^D!

fsmithred wrote:

Normally, if you right-click and release, the context menu stays open.

Yes.
But that's exactly what is not happening.

Like I explained previously, I've been able to reproduce the conditions for this to happen.
ie: on the first site I open (first tab, no matter which site) on a freshly loaded Firefox.

fsmithred wrote:

... right click and drag the mouse to highlight an item in the menu and then release ...

That's how I have been coping with the problem.
Now I just reopen the same page on another tab and the problem is gone.
And if I do not exit Firefox, the probem will not return.

fsmithred wrote:

... pretty sure I was not careful with the mouse ...

I've slammed mine on the desktop more than once.
But it has not tried to bite me (yet).

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

A.

#25 2018-10-31 19:52:48

Altoid

Hello:

Altoid wrote:

Like I explained previously, I've been able to reproduce the conditions for this to happen.
ie: on the first site I open (first tab, no matter which site) on a freshly loaded Firefox.

Well ...
It all seemed to be so previsible.
But no.

Just a while I got back home and on booting up, I launched Pegasus Mail (which I run off Wine).
I was expecting the usual lag in starting up it developed some time ago (have not found the real cause) and lo/behold: no lag.

No idea how/why.

Then I launched Firefox.
I was also expecting to have to open my first page on a parallel tab so as to avoid the right-click problem this thread is about.
But no. It behaved correctly.

I exited Firefox and launched it again to check and sure enough, there is was again.

Coincidences may (as some people believe) very well exist but I do not think this is so in the realm of IT.

I'll have to boot/reboot a few times to check out if I can now reproduce this same sequence and verify a link between these two separate events.
If I can (?) maybe this odd mouse behaviour has a deeper, system based origin but at first sight I fail to see how that could be.

---
Edit:
The issue with PMail, related to a CUPS mis-configuration and the program looking for a printer when launched, has been solved.
So it was a coincidence.

There's no link between that and the odd mouse behaviour this thread is about.
---

Still, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2018-11-01 11:18:29)

Board footer