The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-08 03:18:18

xD
Website

AMD Radeon RX 480 On Devuan

Hello!

I am trying to get support for my Radeon RX 480 on Devuan. Honestly I'd like to stay on Jessie but if Ascii will solve my problems I'm open to that as well! Really, for my gaming desktop I'd prefer to avoid Ceres because I don't want to have to reinstall if something breaks. On my laptop I run Ceres because I don't really care as much.

On my current Jessie install I have the kernel 3.16.0-5-amd64, llvm 3.5, and Mesa 10.3.2.
It is my understanding that I need kernel 4.15 for the most support and Mesa 17.6.
Is what I require possible for Jessie maybe by backports, or would I have to upgrade to another release?

Thank you!

mmm mmmmm! (◡‿◡✿)

#2 2018-03-09 03:42:57

xD
Website

Re: AMD Radeon RX 480 On Devuan

It seems that every time I post for support, I end up accidentally finding my own solution!

So, backports kinda worked, but not really. I was still missing some important drivers for Mesa I think, I'm not really sure.
I just made a system image in case of tragedy, then upgraded to Ascii. That went off almost flawlessly. The only problem now is that I cannot mount external hard drives. I apparently don't have the appropriate permissions. I find that to be a bit odd. I shouldn't have to be root to mount my USB drive. That's just silly.

Anyways, I will probably end up finding my solution like I have the past three times lmao.

I will post updates just in case someone else has a similar issue.

mmm mmmmm! (◡‿◡✿)

#3 2018-03-09 14:18:54

catprints

"The obstacle is the path."

#4 2018-03-09 22:21:57

greenjeans
Website

I've never had to do anything extensive the times i've had a permission issue with polkit, edit the files in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/ directly, you can spot the relative entries, it may not be the correct way, but it's quick and it works perfectly.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
"-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/Po … config.dtd">
<policyconfig>
  <vendor>The udisks Project</vendor>
  <vendor_url>http://udisks.freedesktop.org/</vendor_url>
  <icon_name>drive-removable-media</icon_name>

<action id="org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount">
    <description>Mount a filesystem</description>

<message>Authentication is required to mount the filesystem</message>

<defaults>
      <allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

Last edited by greenjeans (2018-03-09 22:26:26)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#5 2018-03-12 18:09:51

xD
Website

That helped, thank you! I would have seen that if I was on the mailing list; could have sworn I signed up big_smile
I ended up needing
libpolkit-backend-1-0-consolekit   0.105-18+devuan2.4  and
libpolkit-gobject-1-0-consolekit   0.105-18+devuan2.4

The other set didn't work for me; they were already installed.

greenjeans advice didn't work for me, considering my preexisting file was already concordant with the one you demonstrated, but thank you!

mmm mmmmm! (◡‿◡✿)

#6 2019-01-14 00:38:42

quadcricket

I am facing a similar situation. Myself and two of my friends are attempting to switch to Linux for gaming. We are trying to avoid Ubuntu and I am a huge fan of Devuan. We have tried Mint, Artix, and Sparky as well but ran into issues. So I am attempting to use Devuan and just install a more modern kernel and mesa. I setup backports in apt and am already on the new kernel. What is the best way to get into the mesa packages. Just download and compile from source? Is there a package?

Thanks

Board footer