[ -d /run/exim4 ] || \
  install -d -oDebian-exim -gDebian-exim -m750 /run/exim4
LANG=C
export LANG

if [ -e /etc/runit/verbose ]; then
        echo "invoke-run: starting ${PWD##*/}"
fi
#-bdf is also ok but no log to stdout for svlogd
exec /usr/sbin/exim4 -bd -d -q${QFLAGS}${QUEUEINTERVAL} $COMMONOPTIONS $QUEUERUNNEROPTIONS $SMTPLISTENEROPTIONS

It is broken. exim4 complains about incompatible command line parameters. runit ends up racking my PID table by constant attempts to restart. My current (half clueless) workaround is

mkdir env
echo 30m > env/QUEUEINTERVAL

#2 2024-10-09 10:38:19

Altoid

Re: runit: exim4 is broken

Hello:

Alverstone wrote:

... broken. exim4 complains about incompatible command line parameters.

Exim4 had a huge lot of issues at one point and it could be that (depending on your installed version / upgrade cycle) you are suffering them now.

You may want to have a read at this thread (specifically the last two posts) to get an idea of what may be going on in your box.

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=30412#p30412
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=30469#p30469

That said and unless you really need something as complex as exim4 running in your box, you may want to consider using a simpler, much lighter and less complicated MTA such as Dragonfly.

See this thread and the DragonflyBSD web page.

Best,

A.

#3 2024-10-09 11:26:03

stopAI

That said and unless you really need something as complex as exim4 running in your box, you may want to consider using a simpler, much lighter and less complicated MTA such as Dragonfly.

Hello.

This package is not available in the official Devuan package repository...and compiling it is not a good idea.

#4 2024-10-09 11:38:46

Altoid

Hello:

stopAI wrote:

... not available in the official Devuan package repository...

Look again:

~$ apt list | grep dma
--- snip ---
dma/stable,now 0.13-1+b1 amd64 [installed]
dma/stable 0.13-1+b1 i386
--- snip ---
~$

See:
https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/poli … a&x=submit
https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/pack … =0.13-1+b1

Devuan Package View wrote:

Package: dma
Version: 0.13-1+b1
Installed-Size: 161
Maintainer: Arno Töll <arno@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Replaces: mail-transport-agent
Provides: mail-transport-agent
Depends:
ucf (>= 0.28), debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libc6 (>= 2.33), libssl3 (>= 3.0.0)
Conflicts: mail-transport-agent
Homepage: https://github.com/corecode/dma
Description-en: lightweight mail transport agent

The DragonFly Mail Agent is a small Mail Transport Agent (MTA), designed for home and office use.  It accepts mails from local Mail User Agents (MUA) and delivers them either to local mailboxes or remote SMTP servers.  Remote delivery includes support for features such as TLS/SSL and SMTP authentication.

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2024-10-09 12:24:29)

#5 2024-10-09 15:47:07

stopAI

Look again:

Yes, you are right. Somehow I missed it. Thank you.

#6 2024-10-09 16:09:16

Altoid

Hello:

stopAI wrote:

... I missed it.

It was my mistake.

I linked to the DragonflyBSD page because it is where all data / info / How-to is, very complete.

But forgetting that when I went looking for it, I also found it hard to get the package location, I neglected to explain that for Debian / Devuan it is called DMA. ie: DragonFly Mail Agent 

DragonflyBSD and DMA are the same application, different ports / packaging (?).

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2024-10-09 16:10:30)

#7 2024-10-09 18:05:36

Alverstone

Altoid wrote:

If DMA works out of the box, I'll use it instead. I have no idea why I need exim4 at all. I do not carry out any administrative work that requires mail. I don't use /var/mail at all, I just don't need it. No use cases.

#8 2024-10-09 18:12:36

Mike-thinky

check that you untick "install recommended packages as dependencies"  in synaptic preferences and you might not have got that pulled in with something else. I made that mistake for the first few packages after a new install recently, and wondered why all sorts of rubbish was being pulled in.

#9 2024-10-09 18:48:05

Altoid

Hello:

Alverstone wrote:

If DMA works out of the box ...

It should.

In my case, I first made sure I purged all / everything exim4 related from my system, rebooted to make sure and then and installed DMA.
Had no issues, my system mail works perfectly well and a little old thingue called coolmail* sits in a corner on my desktop and lets me know when any system mail gets delivered to my box.

Alverstone wrote:

... no idea why I need exim4 ...

It got/gets installed by default in all (?) Devuan editions.

System mail was, till my exim4 incident, something absolutely transparent to me.
No idea it was called exim4, much less how complex it was.

Think a Norton 500 instead of a single speed rear-coaster brake cycle to go for your order of onion bhajis four blocks from your house.

I have put forth here at Dev1 that it would be a good idea to replace exim4 with DMA as the default MTA in all Devuan releases, with the exception of (maybe) server. ie: desktop-live, netinstall, desktop and minimal-live.

The logic behind that idea is that if a user knows about and needs whatever advantage exim4 has with respect to DMA, they will install it.
Otherwise, their system's MTA will be absolutely transparent to them. ie: it will just work as intended.

The plus will be that they will have avoided the possibility of hassle and wasted resources.

* See here: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=30487#p30487

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2024-10-09 18:59:56)

Board footer