The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-09-15 21:09:42

Micronaut

Where are repository data files stored?

Clearly, a local database is kept when you run apt-get update. Where is it stored? If I install a third-party program of some sort, such as Google Chrome, and it adds a repository for itself, is that kept in the same place? And if I later remove this program, what happens to that extra database? Does it get removed automatically? Or do I have to manually delete it somehow?

#2 2024-09-15 21:26:33

Dutch_Master

Re: Where are repository data files stored?

Clearly, you've missed the memo: Linux is not Win-OS!

In Devuan, like all Debian-based distro's, you add a repository to the /etc/apt/sources file. Then add the key to that repo via apt/dpkg, refresh apt via

apt-get update

then install any package from that repo via the normal method

apt-get install <package-name>

Removing it is as simple as

apt-get purge <package-name>

The purge option tells apt to completely remove any traces of the package, including config files and whatever else it installed/used, from your system.

If you want a GUI to help you out, Synaptic takes your hand, just explore the menu for the correct function.

You do NOT manipulate a database manually, like some Win-OS users seem to have taught themselves roll

#3 2024-09-15 21:43:10

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

@Micronaut: yes. Google leaves its repository hook-in (i.e. a file) in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and you have to remove it by hand. man sources.list has more details.

EDIT: Google might also have left a PGP key (i.e. another file) in /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ and you might want to remove that as well. man apt-get is a fairly good starting point about that.

#4 2024-09-16 13:18:00

Micronaut

Yes, I'm aware of /etc/apt/sources.list.d already. What I'm not certain about is the data files downloaded from those repositories. Deleting the text file under apt is surely not going to remove the data from that source? Or does Apt do that automatically?

#5 2024-09-16 21:54:13

GlennW

I think there is a file in /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin, it's 124.2MiB on my box... but I'm not too sure if it's all the packages available or just the installed packages.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#6 2024-09-16 22:38:51

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Yes apt-get update does that. The downloaded "packages" files are kept in /var/lib/apt/lists

Board footer