The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2024-06-14 09:58:13

nahkhiirmees

Re: Fujitsu U728+lightdm+xfce , results in "gray screen" after logging out

Btw. any ideas about a desktop environment without need for polkit or policykit?

Now i have a "kind of a theory" why "freezing" happens. When trying to log out, lightdm tries to communicate with polkit but it can't and freezes. But on the other hand, then i would expect that package to go away when removing polkit-packages.
Not yet sure how that explains problems with startx. Should find out if there is xterm installed outside of vm.

And btw, couldn't reproduce the "freezing situation" inside a vm just yet. Did many things differently from 2-3 months ago, thats for sure. Should have documented better how the install went during march-april.

Edit. https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/pack … d=246.10-5 the "Recommends:"-part.
So changing displaymanager won't necessarily help if it is elogind that tries to access policykit-related stuff that is not available.

And elogind need dbus also.

Last edited by nahkhiirmees (2024-06-14 10:13:02)

#52 2024-06-14 19:27:01

nahkhiirmees

Should find out if there is xterm installed outside of vm.

There is xterm installed on that host. So lack of xterm won't explain anything.
But on the other hand: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ftsa&q=xsessi … ion&ia=web .
May be related or may be not. I get that xsession-complaint when logging in to xfce from lightdm.

But i think today's agenda is to find out what happens if i try to remove package elogind from those 2 vm's i mentioned before.
It would be nice if i could reproduce the freezing inside a vm , so that i could use ssh to find out what went wrong. But won't hold my breath.

There's that full backup of course, but USB ceased to work with vm's . So i need a file server and also the vm's to behave themselves.

EDit. elogind doesn't seem to be too vital package. But on the other hand, purging libelogin* - packages will try to remove xorg-related packages amongst others. So those libraries have to be left installed for now.
And if i purge dbus* - packages, the "openbox-vm" will kind of work still. But no firefox nor pulseaudio.

Last edited by nahkhiirmees (2024-06-14 20:45:52)

#53 2024-06-18 11:01:42

nahkhiirmees

This mis-adventure continues.

Today i noticed: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_ … stallation .
These sounded familiar: "There have been couple reports where the whole graphics stack hard freezes" , "not even switching to a different virtual console work" .
And I think there's intel graphic chip in that machine.

But it will take a while to get a chance to try SysRq.
Last night i started the reinstall process. Erased the ssd with dd as a first step, to start with a "clean slate".

Last edited by nahkhiirmees (2024-06-18 14:38:48)

Board footer