The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-14 16:10:20

FAipLLC-Andrew

kernel -- immutable - DEFECT in 6.0 onwards or hardened

kernel -- immutable -  DEFECT in  6.0 onwards or hardened

----------------------------------------------------------

[ my assumption -- please if you have a similar motherboard intending to  dual boot OS each simultaneously ].

Mine is

ROG 370 Z series

[   love the Bios - nothing else like it ]

two nvme slots - each holding independent O S  [ 1 tb each ]  -- but i partition for 2 OS on each drive for testing Linux OS  - blame Distrowatch.

3 x 2 tb seagate storage
1 x 500 gb Windows ( separate so i never have to dual boot on it )
64 gb
PCIE 3
Intel 620  onboard
Nvidia ti-1080 discreet
Intel i7 3700 12 core

[ I know .. .  i know  . ..  I am waiting to be Re-incarnated in AMD -- ]

Until Kernel 6.0 ( and some 5.8 - 5.9  betas etc )

I had NO - ZERO - problem with dual nvme being detected - even on Windows 11  -
AND EVEN ON DEVUAN 4.0 no problem .

Now booting install .iso for Devuan 5.01 - it does NOT see the second nvme util i add to the bootloader :

"  nvme_core.multipath=0   "

[ which in essence relieves the Kernel from looking for something that isn't there to begin with ]

[  note: this is NOT related to the periodic failure of Arch see to ANY nvme System Drive in a single slot ]

AFTER 25 DIFFERENT FLAVORS  ARCH derivatives -- ALL  - are the biggest offenders - even with no sysd :

Gentoo  [ redcore gui ]
Slackware [ Xen, WifiSlax  etc ]
Artix
NixOS
Slackware ( Xen, WifiSlax etc )

and all Debian and Ubuntu derivatives - but it is NOT related to sysd.

I have trouble-shot this for the last 9 months  and have about 85 dead ends to describe if you are interested in the bloody gory details.

If a Distribution is based upon Linux Kernel 6.0 + it will not see the second drive.  Period.

The reason no one knows is if you don't have dual nvme on the MOtherBoard you will never know.

So since this is a fringe-item that obviously NEVER got attention at the  [ Ahem ] Kernel Level and persists in 6.1 then i can only assume that it will not be addressed until El Jefe has his own setup and witnesses / demands it.

I WILL say I understand his strident attitude towards sloppy input.

-----------------

will double-post to  Packaging and DIY ... PLEASE someone kick this upstairs.

#2 2024-05-14 20:49:33

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: kernel -- immutable - DEFECT in 6.0 onwards or hardened

We don't package the kernel. Bug reports for this should go to debian.

I removed your duplicate posts. This one should be enough in case anyone has a similar setup.

#3 2024-05-15 03:05:16

GlennW

Hi, I have a similar mobo, Asus ROG strig x470-F gaming, and had a problem with the nvme when attached to the external (outside the heatsink) slot.

It wasn't untill I moved the nvme stick to the first slot (under the heatsink, and mounting points) that it was recognised by grub and possibly the install program as well, been a while now, so I forget the exact details.

Your description is very interesting. I thought I had a heating problem, and it may well have been, but I do remember it was a complicated issue.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#4 2024-05-15 10:27:45

Altoid

Hello:

GlennW wrote:

... problem with the nvme when attached to the external ...

Just a guess.

@FAipLLC-Andrew
Maybe the issue is related to this?

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2024-05-15 10:31:56)

#5 2024-06-11 00:57:37

FAipLLC-Andrew

That MB required that i switch nvme's in order to have one read in the first slot. Nothing in the second slot.

But the script has proved out. Installing anything i preemptively:   insert that into the INSTALL USB  grub or bootloader efi NOT ONLY DOES it make the usb see the second drive pre- installation g, it transmits this to the bootloader in the permanent install on the nvme.  The Kernel Knows it must be passed on to the permanent installation boot. it works always.

#6 2024-06-11 00:59:30

FAipLLC-Andrew

Thank you F Smith Red for keeping it clean.

#7 2024-06-11 22:51:38

GlennW

Just a guess.

@FAipLLC-Andrew
Maybe the issue is related to this?

That link to the asus forum is just a guess. It may be informative but still doesn't address the issue. Not a technical response, just an opinion from a more experienced user, imho.

For instance,
1. when I had the nvme drive in the 2nd slot I could format and install the os, but the mobo bios would not boot from it.
2. Using the nvme does not turn off the sata 5 & 6, ...I have 6 sata slots with 5 hdd's, (3 ssd's and 2 Hdd's) all are working.
3. It wasn't untill I moved the nvme drive to slot 1 AND enabled the nvme chipset in bios that the drive became available for booting the system.

Sorry for being vague, I had thought my problem was from overheating the nvme drive because I had it installed outside the heatsink cover.
I had that drive installed in the system, but unused for about 4 weeks until I figured my easy install method was holding me back from getting the nvme drive to boot. I could install the OS but not boot from the drive. The installer program was able to find the drive and do all kinds of tests except boot.

The user manual is not a service manual with technician notes... The service notes never make it to the public forum, otherwise we would not need them (ASUS service department) to repair systems as much. Just my 2cents worth.

I'm glad you got it working. All the best.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

Board footer