The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#76 2024-02-06 12:40:40

stultumanto

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

In my case, perhaps this is a communication error between the Nvidia driver and DE (Trinity).

Oh, I've had this specific problem as well, and I think you're right. The brightness keys were working on XFCE with the nouveau driver, but stopped when I installed the nvidia driver. I think it's because the nvidia driver moves the brightness controls to a weird location. Most drivers have them under /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/, but nvidia puts them under /sys/class/backlight/nv_backlight/. Dedicated utilities such as brightnessctl and xbacklight have no trouble finding them there, but DEs don't seem to be coded as intelligently.

#77 2024-02-06 12:52:23

aluma

The brightness keys were working on XFCE with the nouveau driver, but stopped when I installed the nvidia driver.

Absolutely the same!

#78 2024-02-07 02:58:45

GlennW

Thank you, I'll check when my new battery arrives. the speakers look like they are built into a tube, like a labyrinth resonator... for bass/low freq.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#79 2024-03-02 12:55:25

oui

very positive experience today: my PC seems to work friendly with vmlinuz-6.6.15-amd64 (last week is was not possible in 32 bit with the actual ceres kernel)!

also it was not the PC but the kernel and Devuan can handle again with some not so usual hardware ;-) !

#80 2024-03-02 23:18:36

GlennW

Hi, I'll look into that new kernel very soon for my main desktop box, running Daedalus plasma5.

I have just completed a new install on my laptop, asus n550jv... with Devuan ascii. With a new battery, and a clean ssd (dos-mbr partitioned, finally)

I did this because the newer kernel with Daedalus did not load my sound chipset and quite a few other things although the screen and keyboard dimming was working.

I've just checked the sound operation with a .mp3 playing through vlc and it sounds ok.

I've put it aside for now, I still have the network devices (wifi and tethering to the iPhone) to set up... some research will be required.

I'm very happy with the laptop at the moment, although I'm not used to the apps with xfce4... I'll look into it.

The day before yesterday I had trinity setup on the laptop, and it looked good, but too many chipset errors like, keyboard characters Getting pound instead of hash and others..., eth (nic) wifi and sound in particular. WIP! But the graphics card was used by default which was a nice change to see it was actually working (with nouveau)

I endeavour to slowly migrate back to the recent kernel versions and trinity desktop, but keeping an eye on the modules required for that set up.

I had found a faulty re-purposed flashdrive (rarely used, parrot-live) that was giving some serious looking errors and freezing the system on this desktop box, a new kernel and clean install may help to resolve those.

As well as that I binned the faulty flashdrive. I have to draw the line somewhere.

@oui: I'm glad to see you are making progress.

#81 2024-03-03 07:26:19

aluma

@GlennW

keyboard characters Getting pound instead of hash and others..., eth (nic) wifi and sound in particular.

Instead of Exe GNU/Linux, try another method
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=46740#p46740

#82 2024-03-03 23:12:21

GlennW

@aluma: Thanks

But... I need the modules from the older kernels.

So, I'll follow those instructions, but in-between times I'll use something like, 

I found this helpful during BT firmware and module loading... and
for when changing /etc/modules, including /etc/modules.d/

update-initramfs -u -k all

Also, I've added tde to the apt/sources.d from the failed install, (it installed, but I had no sound, wifi, eth, and a few other things) and

thought I may be able to gradually upgrade to the current tde desktop but keeping the functionality of the older kernels.

ps, I was looking for that page... thanks.

Last edited by GlennW (2024-03-03 23:13:37)

Board footer