Install eudev in ascii

To replace udev with eudev in devuan ascii, do the following:

Add experimental repo to sources.list.

deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/devuan/ experimental main

Update the cache and install eudev:

apt-get update
apt-get -t experimental install eudev

Now would be a good time to reboot.

If you want to remove eudev and reinstall udev, you will need to specify the version of libudev1 to downgrade it.:

apt-get install udev libudev1=232-25+deb9u1

Note: if that is not the correct version of libudev1, you can get it from

apt-cache policy libudev1

#2 2017-08-14 16:24:22

garyz.dev1

Re: Install eudev in ascii

would this work in ceres.
Its taken two days to get a ceres gui working - albeit just the plain DE

#3 2017-08-14 16:45:37

fungus
Website

have you tried installing a different DE?  Openbox (light) and LXDE seem to be working fine since day one.

#4 2017-08-14 16:50:05

garyz.dev1

openbox would be target as well as Mate.
not sure about LXDE - didn't they switch to QT and
that is why lxde moved to lxqt ??

#5 2017-08-14 18:37:58

fsmithred
Administrator

I don't know if this works in ceres. If you're brave enough to try it, please let us know what happens.

lxde is still around and will still be around for awhile. It has not been abandoned. I either read that somewhere or was told that by one of the devs or maintainers for lxde in irc. (Can't remember name or which irc channel, but it must have been #devuan or #devuan-dev.)

lxqt is also around. I'm not sure, but I think it exists because gtk is losing its mind, and lxqt will be there when gtk3 finally goes totally insane.

#6 2017-08-14 18:57:16

fungus
Website

I think both LX are built on top of openbox.  But lxde has nothing to do with lxqt.  Lxqt is inspired by LXDE and built with QT so once qt is fully ported to other systems you can have the same environment on MS or Apple.  I think. LXDE is extremely efficient and low on resources for a full gui desktop, look up resource use and it scores slightly higher than openbox, i3, jwf?, and such blackscreen desktops.  LXDE is refined to its maximum while LXQT is fresh and sometimes buggy.  I don't like it but I installed in a ftiends corrupt windows machine and she has been very happy smile  She gets daily update verifications popping up and she thinks something may be broken if she doesn't get one in the morning.

Sometimes it is what you get used to seeing and working with.  To me kde is an eyshore, and gnome is an MS8 poor copy.  I did try cinammon once but it was so flaky and buggy I removed it within a day or two. I always liked openbox but some things were a bit of a pain.  After I explored in the gadgetry that miyo and vuu-do introduced me too, I can hardly get out of it.  I have even transformed other openbox systems to resemble miyo-vuu-do.

This is the beauty of linux, we can all run the same system and make it look as something totally different. This bug of input devices freezing up is a first for me and I always picked hardware from massive production runs that bugs for have been ironed out.  If a cheap wire Logitech mouse freezes up or a generix keyboard,  it makes you wonder.

I thought I had seen a note before that udev in Devuan is really eudev in disguise, am I wrong?  Had I seen  this elsewhere?  .... here it is https://talk.devuan.org/t/eudev-a-real- … udev/589/2

hellekin 20160713 eudev already works, vdev is in development
vdev or eudev (from gentoo)
DusXMT 20160713 hellekin: From what I understand, eudev is just a repackaged udev that Gentoo, so in case changes were made to it where it wouldn't work properly on systemd-less systems, they would be prepared to deal with it

fsmithred 20160730 you could replace udev with eudev, but from outside repo.

n4dir 20161001 you can use sysv too, and you can use eudev ....

NewGnuGuy 20161029 aitor: Is the goal to replace dependency on udev with dependency on eudev so as to avoid udev's dependency on systemd? (I'm speaking based on knowledge only gained minutes ago on Wikipedia)

*edit* Removed the nasty line breaks to make it more readable.  @fungus - Please do not post by copying from an editor with a fixed line length

#7 2017-08-14 19:24:28

fsmithred
Administrator

udev in devuan is the same udev that's in jessie.

eudev is basically udev with the systemd deps removed.  It's forked from gentoo.

#8 2017-08-18 12:15:55

fungus
Website

I've installed it on both my ascii and ceres and I have not noticed any problems.

#9 2017-08-18 13:36:41

MiyoLinux

fsmithred wrote:

lxde is still around and will still be around for awhile. It has not been abandoned. I either read that somewhere or was told that by one of the devs or maintainers for lxde in irc.

They are also saying that it hasn't been abandoned on the LXDE forums... smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#10 2017-08-18 16:57:41

batmore

Nice, clean upgrade instructions, easy to accomplish and worked well. I've replaced udev with eudev on my ascii test machine.  Also works well with the latest Linux kernel (currently v4.13-rc5).  No freezes, no drops. Works well with USB plug-in/remove, successfully identifies components.  Good stuff!

#11 2017-08-28 17:52:03

gnath

@fsmithred,from your post on dng mailing list I tried live-usb of "ascii_oblx_eudv_oprc-20170813_2222".
That was working fine only with failsafe mode.I was not confident of udevd-daemon & lot of udev files.
Now installed eudev and some task-** packeges from experimental repo on my ceres system.

Here also this is working fine with usb,xserver-xorg-core,upower and cdrom ( not working earlier).
Shall try to remove systemed stuff from system. I have not found any eudev files after install.
This is long due move by dev's.Hope eudev will be pushed to ceres soon."openrc" is in ascii & ceres main.

Regards,

Last edited by gnath (2017-08-28 17:53:58)

#12 2017-08-28 20:30:04

fungus
Website

Runit is available as well, any thoughts on it running either alone or as a supervisor?
It seems so small, contained, and simple that it really boggles the mind what on earth were those systemd people thinking.
Just simply making sure essential "things" start up so you can do your work, stay up no matter what you do, and are shutdown properly before you turn it off.
Like an executive secretary for mrs.kernel, who couldn't care less if everybody is working on the factory or they blew it all up and went out for a beer.

#13 2017-08-29 01:50:39

fsmithred
Administrator

You won't find any eudev files. It has to lie to everyone and pretend to be udev, so a lot of the udev files you find are really the eudev files in disguise. And all that /lib/systemd stuff is for udev/eudev.

Board footer