The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-26 23:38:48

kirk

Cannot login after daedalus upgrade

I just upgraded from chimaera to daedalus, following the upgrade recipe. AFAICT, the upgrade went perfectly without error.

However, after rebooting, the xfce login screen comes up. I enter my username and password. It cycles back to the terminal showing the boot messages and then returns to the xfce login screen. I rebooted a second time, but I only get this login loop.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be very much appreciated.

TIA!

Kirk

#2 2024-01-27 02:55:22

GlennW

Re: Cannot login after daedalus upgrade

Hi, just a thought because I don't use xfce, but kde/plasma.

I found a similar upgrade problem and saw in the errors the seatd was not available...

So maybe, you need to install seatd to get the login to run.

May not be your solution... see how you go.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#3 2024-01-27 06:11:09

stultumanto

You may already know this stuff, but just in case: if you need to get to a terminal to do some troubleshooting, you should be able to hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 through F6 to open a virtual console and log in. From there, you can check the X log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Look for lines with (EE) near the left, these are errors.

#4 2024-01-27 10:19:11

rolfie

And maybe make sure you have sufficient space on your drives. df -h should help.

#5 2024-01-27 16:34:58

kirk

Thanks for the helpful responses. Just an update:

1. installing seatd did not fix the issue. :-(
2. using Ctrl-Alt-F1 worked. I could log in, became root, and search dmesg, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and /var/log/messages. No joy, unless something got past me.
3. I tried logging in from the xfce login screen and then immediately went to the virtual console and read the logs. Again, no message that I understood.
4. Plenty of disk space. Thanks for the reminder. :-)

Next step: an important piece of info about my system I forgot to mention: I'm running Daedalus on an uptodate VMware VM, running on a Windows 11 host. I ran Chimaera in this setup without any OS issues for several years. I'm wondering if there's a problem with the xinit file and configuration. I'm going to copy and paste the Chimera Xorg config file, diff against the Daedalus config. If all else fails, I'll try logging in using the Chimaera configuration.

So far, that's all that I can think of doing. I've been doing a lot of RTFMs. ;-)

I'll report back on results.

#6 2024-01-28 15:54:22

kirk

Well, I've gone about as far as I can, based on my current knowledge. I think the issue is that VMware simply doesn't properly support daedalus (and debian 12.x) yet.

Just so I can get back to work, I decided to install daedalus fresh from scratch in a new VM. And it went just fine. I'm logged in and exploring the install to make sure that everything is working properly. Sometime the choices the debian installer presents are not always clear as to which choice should be made. But the great thing about VMs is that if something gets trashed and I can't fix it, then I can always start over.

I'll probably go on over to the VMware forums and let them know of the issues.

Thanks again for your wisdom.

Kirk

Board footer