The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-12-12 19:08:34

pcalvert

Re: Weak processor + minimal DE = no miracle!

aluma wrote:

You can probably block Javascript on pages, but then the necessary functions will not work.

That is only true if you use a heavy-handed approach, such as disabling Javascript completely or using an extension like NoScript (with default settings).

I use these extensions:

uBlock Origin
NoScript (with scripts allowed globally).

With that combination, breakage is rare. And when it does occur, it is easily fixed. I usually disable uBlock Origin on websites that involve transactions, like banking and shopping websites, as a proactive measure.

NoScript in the above combination may appear to be redundant, but it's not. Although uBlock Origin does most of the work, NoScript provides protection against cross-site scripting attacks.

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.
Another one is called Luxxle.

#27 2023-12-12 19:27:43

aluma

Two people play this game. smile
My city website first asked to disable *block, then it stopped showing the contents of the page opened via the link from the main page.
Now there’s a new feature, an advertising widget, by clicking on it and selecting “Block...” from the drop-down menu, we get a red rectangle containing not only this widget, but all the main text.

#28 2023-12-12 19:30:31

pcalvert

golinux wrote:

Falkon piqued my interest but as soon as I found out it was KDE that was it.

Falkon might be a good choice for those people who are using LXQt (or KDE).

golinux wrote:

I actually installed KDE once in its early days. It didn't last long for the reasons mentioned above and that everything was so 'twitchy' and I would be spending too much time turning off all that ADD-inducing garbage . . .

Several years ago I used an online builder to create a liveCD of openSUSE with a KDE desktop. It was so bloated and slow that it was essentially unusable.

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.
Another one is called Luxxle.

#29 2023-12-12 20:02:31

aluma

I have no objection at all to someone using any programs.
But the essence of my thread is that with a weak processor the OS turns into a single-tasking, or rather single-window, if we mean browsers.
And no “light” DEs, browsers, etc. things won't help. If you want normal work, you will have to pay for a more productive computer.

#30 2023-12-12 20:49:56

Danielsan

aluma wrote:

I have no objection at all to someone using any programs.
But the essence of my thread is that with a weak processor the OS turns into a single-tasking, or rather single-window, if we mean browsers.
And no “light” DEs, browsers, etc. things won't help. If you want normal work, you will have to pay for a more productive computer.

Any recent celeron is better than your cpu, I still have a laptop with an E-450 and performs worse than the ROC-RK3328-CC that I am using to writing this reply with LibreWolf.

Auto quote myself about the RK3328:

What can I do with it?

I do almost anything, and with the Renegade board I can do even more. Although this board support video acceleration your phone is better suited for media consuming. Anyway with my first prototype and the last Stealthbox I was able to do almost anything, a great improvement was achieved whan I was able to boost the tethering allowing me to load heavy-weight website.

This is what it was possible doing with the current Stealthbox and the prototype:

• Internet searches ✅

• Email reading ✅ (with client, but with 4GB and booster also webmail)

• Online banking and bills ✅

• Mastodon ✅

• Diaspora ✅

• Fora (forums) ✅

• Amazon, Target, Walmart etc ✅ (with tethering booster)

• Projects with Inkscape ✅

• Projects with Gimp ✅

• LibreOffice ❓ (didn't tested but with 4GB I believe it is feasible)

• Abiword ✅

• Text Editor ✅

• Calibre and connecting a Kindle ✅

• Youtube/Invidious/Videos ✅❗(no audio)

• Git and Webdav ✅

• Compile light software ✅

• Netflix/Spotify/etc. ❌ (no DRM)

https://portal.mozz.us/gemini/omg.pebca … ox-faq.gmi

I recently bought a second-hand crapbook (Asus L210MA) for less than $60 and compared with this board and the old laptop looks like a Ferrari.

https://portal.mozz.us/gemini/omg.pebca … vuan-5.gmi

On both systems the disk is encrypted therefore extra workload to do in real time, and they works just fine.

Modern internet is a shit, and webpages are a pile of crap, that's why we publish our content on Gemini. Try Lagrange on your computer and see how fantastic is browsing the Geminispace.

#31 2023-12-12 21:18:34

aluma

I have already changed. smile
About the same money as your ROC-RK3328-CC.
ThinkPad x201, i5-560M, 4GB, 128 SSD.
5 hours new battery, everything works.

#32 2023-12-12 21:35:18

Danielsan

My (old) laptop was already slow back to that time. I bought it just because was one the very first shipped with Linux (SLES) in Italy and was cheap too. Today is useless, even with 6GB of RAM and a SSD, the CPU is a crap. Nothing to add.

With your think pad you got a decent hardware, congrats!

#33 2023-12-12 21:59:39

aluma

Thank you.
I think the performance should simply be enough for specific tasks. And they are different for all of us.
I have a ThinkPad for “couch surfing”.
For more serious ones, there is the Ideapad Y500, i7-3630QM/16/256/500/SLI (two identical video cards in parallel).
But it’s heavy, you can’t put it on your belly. smile

Last edited by aluma (2023-12-12 22:00:53)

#34 2023-12-14 21:08:36

newblicious
Website

I think falkon is worth it, even if you're not a KDE user. I use it with XFCE without any issues (I just have to eat the Qt5 libraries that come with it).  It's what I use most of the time on slow, old laptops.

Iridium browser is also quite nice for compatability.

Board footer