The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-04 06:35:41

devujan

Infinite Noise TRNG daedalus

I own a usb infnoise TRNG device and had the idea of using it with devuan. I was surprised to see there is a package for it (infnoise_0.3.3%2bdfsg-1_amd64.deb) for my architecture in daedalus.
Fortunately I tried to use it before on a chimera installed box and had to intstall the software manually.
The maintainer for this package is stated as skitt@debian.org.
But I dare to doubt that he placed that (on first sight very nice) sysV startup file /etc/init.d /infnoise  there .

From my point of view that init.d file badly needs a.

--- infnoise    2023-10-03 18:18:39.908014899 +0000
+++ infnoise.orig       2023-10-04 07:48:39.115944604 +0000
@@ -23,11 +23,6 @@

set -e

-if [ -e /etc/infnoise.conf ]; then
-  . /etc/infnoise.conf
-fi
-
-
 case "$1" in
        status)
                status_of_proc $DAEMON $NAME

to source the /etc/infnoise.conf file for sourcing the environment variables that the binary needs for proper working.

Imho

INFNOISE_SERIAL=DO0032ZA

with the correct serial number of the device should be set for the infnoise binary to work properly.

(The TRNG device user can read that number from the labels printed on that device or read it with infnoise --list-devices. )

Another issue that puzzled me - was the content of the file /lib/udev/rules.d/60-infnoise.rules .

The second line

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6015" ,TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="infnoise.service"

does what I would have expected it to do in Devuan - nothing.
I changed it for

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6015", OPTIONS:="nowatch", RUN+="/etc/init.d/infnoise start"

and it starts the infnoise binary as it is supposed to do - when inserting the TRNG usb device.
(As a side effect this hack temporarily generates a "[infnoise] <defunct>" init.d process - which (to me mysteriously) gets killed after some time.)

Imho there is  legacy files contained in that package too.
I have no clue what the file /lib/systemd/system/infnoise.service is good for - in that package.

Also to help inexperienced users to run that device there should be a mentioning of adding the serial number to  /etc/infnoise.conf in the man pages.

Jan

Board footer