The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-27 17:32:39

einpoklum
Website

Devuan, Guix, shepherd-vs-systemd - looking to read about this

Hello fellow Devuaners,

I've been a happy Devuaner - well, mostly happy - for a number of years now, and have not really been following recent Linux distributions much, seeing how most of them are systemd-based.

Recently, though, I've noticed the Guix, which is both a NixOS-like package manager and a (Linux, right?) distribution which uses said package manager. Briefly reading about it, I noticed another interesting piece of software it uses: GNU shepherd, an init alternative that's been in development for several years, and, well, is not systemd.

I absolutely don't want to start a discussion about which is a better distro or anything like that. But I would like to learn more about what using Guix is like - from desktop users' and server admins' perspective - and whether the two distributions benefit from each other in any way, living the non-systemd life.

Brief personal impressions are fine as answers, links are fine, long comparative tracts are fine, etc.

#2 2023-05-27 17:42:50

manyroads
Website

Re: Devuan, Guix, shepherd-vs-systemd - looking to read about this

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Board footer