The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2023-04-25 18:28:33

brday

Re: JWM KIT love fest

golinux wrote:

@brday . . . I don't understand your question. AFAIK weekly builds of the daedalus (testing) installer-iso are updated every Monday and available for download on our mirrors.

My question was about the repositories, latest or quarterly. In the system installation or already installed system, is there any way to modify the file containing the repositories, changing the quarterly repositories for latest repositories?

#52 2023-05-10 23:52:06

zapper

@jwmkit what about cpu resources for jwmkit on daedalus vs chimaera

Memory usage doesn't have much effect of any kind imo unless it is extremely significant

For me, I would think cpu usage is probably more of a drain, on battery life more than memory usage anyhow and display more than both. wink

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#53 2023-05-10 23:54:02

zapper

brday wrote:
golinux wrote:

@brday . . . I don't understand your question. AFAIK weekly builds of the daedalus (testing) installer-iso are updated every Monday and available for download on our mirrors.

My question was about the repositories, latest or quarterly. In the system installation or already installed system, is there any way to modify the file containing the repositories, changing the quarterly repositories for latest repositories?

Do you mean like how archlinux based distros can be modified to build differently via PKGBUILDs?

Aka, do you mean the equivelant of PKGBUILDs in Deb format? Assuming such a thing even exists...

Not insane to think it might though.

That's a good question if so.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#54 2023-06-14 02:39:08

JWM-Kit
Website

zapper wrote:

Wow!, I don't know how I missed your post.  It's been more than a month. I hope you didn't think I was ignoring you. Sorry.

I understand the concern of CPU usage.  Not only for performance, but battery life. I did not compare CPU usage of Daedalus with previous releases. Although I always keep an eye on HTOP,, and I can tell you CPU usage seemed pretty low, and I don't think it should be a concern.

Of course CPU usage is just like RAM usage.  Any noticeable difference is usually the result of additional services and software you install/configure.

#55 2023-06-23 16:22:07

zapper

JWM-Kit wrote:
zapper wrote:

Wow!, I don't know how I missed your post.  It's been more than a month. I hope you didn't think I was ignoring you. Sorry.

I understand the concern of CPU usage.  Not only for performance, but battery life. I did not compare CPU usage of Daedalus with previous releases. Although I always keep an eye on HTOP,, and I can tell you CPU usage seemed pretty low, and I don't think it should be a concern.

Of course CPU usage is just like RAM usage.  Any noticeable difference is usually the result of additional services and software you install/configure.

No worries, I do the same thing... btw, probably. I mean as long as you don't use something like awesome, or a desktop environment, even Lumina i might add is considered in this! But yeah, if you don't use a bloated window manager or any desktop environments, you shouldn't have any significant battery life issues from the desktop appearance alone.

Peace Be With us All!

#56 2023-09-13 19:40:14

zapper

Still a very good window manager. I just would like to say thank you for making it 10x better than it already was. I may have said this before, but I felt the need to thank you again.

You also have done some interesting changes on my behalf which pleased me even more. big_smile

Peace Be With us All!

#57 2023-12-26 20:32:17

JWM-Kit
Website

New release of JWMKit.  You can download the deb package here.

20231223 Merry Christmas

Support for new JWM features and a few necessary fixes - mostly things broken by Debian 12.

• support for suspend and hibernation

• jwmkit_keys supports Task#

• jwmkit_desktops supports backandforth

• jwmkit_appearance supports showkill and showclient

• jwmkit_groups supports nomaxtitle

• Bugfix - Battery menu

• Bugfix - incomplete time zone data

• Bugfix - sndio mixer

• Bugfix - Tray clock templates used month instead of minutes

#58 2023-12-26 23:13:34

zapper

Glad to see that the time issue won't reoccur anymore. I am still surprised it snuck through. tongue

Peace Be With us All!

#59 2023-12-27 16:02:55

JWM-Kit
Website

Yes the issue with the time templates was a silly mistake. It shows the difference a single character can make when coding. in this case it was matter of lowercase vs uppercase.

For those who don't know what we are talking about.  The suggested templates for the tray clock used months instead of minutes.  This meant the minutes were only correct once per hour as they only change once a day. An embarrassing mistake, but one that was easy to make.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2023-12-27 19:03:11)

#60 2024-01-04 20:41:44

zapper

JWM-Kit wrote:

Yes the issue with the time templates was a silly mistake. It shows the difference a single character can make when coding. in this case it was matter of lowercase vs uppercase.

For those who don't know what we are talking about.  The suggested templates for the tray clock used months instead of minutes.  This meant the minutes were only correct once per hour as they only change once a day. An embarrassing mistake, but one that was easy to make.

I have made embarrassing mistakes too,

something as simple as leaving apostrophes, like this:

MODULES="i915"

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … el_modules

Was enough to make my system unbootable.

That frustrated me one hundred + times almost before I sought help to learn that was the problem.

Something so small can cause huge headaches eh?

tongue

Peace Be With us All!

#61 2024-02-08 00:55:14

aitor
Website

I've built iso images that include this JWM Kit:

https://www.gnuinos.org/mirror/daedalus/

Some contributions of my own are the dynamic menu and the logout dialog. The images also ship with a customized SpaceFM file manager containing the Trash plugin as well as Hopman integration. No dbus.

Last edited by aitor (2024-02-08 00:55:59)

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#62 2024-02-08 14:24:46

JWM-Kit
Website

Nice! It always makes me happy to see JWMKit used in a project.

Where do I report issues? (along with possible fixes)

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2024-02-08 16:41:33)

#63 2024-02-08 21:06:41

aitor
Website

I think that this forum is the best place to report issues and bug fixes.

#64 2024-02-09 12:58:14

JWM-Kit
Website

It's a good amount of stuff. I hope you don't mind, but I sent an email.

#65 2024-02-09 21:53:18

aitor
Website

Yes, I've read it. You have an answer smile

#66 2024-02-09 22:14:20

JWM-Kit
Website

Thanks for the reply.  I hope you found the info useful. Most of the issues are just about polishing the menus and such. Let me know if I can provide any kind of info regarding the amixer issue. Also any help you might need with JWMKit.

#67 2024-04-02 22:12:59

zapper

@jwmkit I sent you an email regarding something recently.

But just in case you missed it:

https://codeberg.org/phranz/pactions

I wanted to know if you could make jwmkit_logout, to have these options built in to it:

disable crtl-alt-backspace
disable sysrq
disable vt-switching
lockscreen

you already have these:

logout, suspend, shutdown, poweroff

But I wondered if you could make those possible.

Also, if you don't want to make that a default, even if you could make that optional, that would be awesome.

This script I referenced uses yad. 

Or if this all sounds too complicated, can you modify that script to make it work in Hyperbola with any type of shell, not just bash, not require sudo, etc...

Peace Be With us All!

#68 2024-04-03 23:08:32

JWM-Kit
Website

I have replied to the email.

I like the current UI design. It's so simple with large buttons, so I'd have to put a little thought on how to present the new options without cluttering it.

As i said in my email I have other things occupying my time, so this will have to wait until I find the time.

#69 2024-04-04 01:31:46

zapper

@jwm-kit I replied back, I just wanted an option to make it so you could only unlock if you used your password or rebooted. Not sysrq, switching terminals like alt control f2-f9 and well you get the idea and disable alt control  backspace for escaping lock too. again without bash if possible. Or be willing to port it for HyperbolaBSD in such a way.

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer