The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-30 17:47:53

chomwitt

daedalus amd64 netinstall iso installer graphics displayed incorrect

I used devuan_daedalus_5.0.preview-20230425_amd64_netinstall.iso
in my PC with a newly installed gpu 6950xt (rdna2) .
After i choose either default install or expert install i see a distorted image of
the installer that cant be read to proceed.

I found a  5year old thread of the same issue (i guess that devuan uses debian installer) :
https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=132200
The image linked in that discussion is like what i see.

I tried the devuan_daedalus_5.0.preview_20230209_amd64_desktop-live image and it booted to gui with no problem. I write this line from using it.

Last edited by chomwitt (2023-04-30 18:10:22)

Devuan(Chimaera)(Daedalus)  DS+WM: XorgX11server+StumpVM

#2 2023-04-30 18:35:12

rolfie

Re: daedalus amd64 netinstall iso installer graphics displayed incorrect

I did my installs with a preview dated July 22, since after that the installer was missing some locales to support e.g. German during installation. Never tried one of the newer ones that have the fix.

I would suggest to switch HDMI with DP or vice versa, or try to use a different monitor if available.

#3 2023-04-30 22:17:17

fsmithred
Administrator

This looks like what I get on one laptop when I run the debian/devuan installer. You might be able to specify a screen resolution at the boot screen. If you're booting uefi, you can edit the selected entry in the boot menu by pressing e and then adding a line before the linux line that says set gfxpayload=<some resolution that works> then press ctrl-x to boot.

If you're booting legacy bios, you get an isolinux boot menu and you can press TAB to edit the boot command and add vga=<some vga mode that works>

Maybe check what the screen resolution is when you're running the desktop-live system and use that.

#4 2023-04-30 22:26:10

pcalvert

Is there a non-graphical (TUI) option in the installer? If so, you may want to try that. Although it's slightly more annoying to use than the GUI installer (because one must use the keyboard and not the mouse), it's not too difficult to use.

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

#5 2023-05-01 00:25:13

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Sounds like the kernel of the installer cannot handle that GPU. As @fsmithred says, try changing the vga= parameter of the boot line; see eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS … de_numbers for options.

EDIT: as a fyi note, although the Devuan installer uses the debconf installation principle, which is the same principle used in the  debian-installer package/project, the ISO building is by different software (https://git.devuan.org/devuan/installer-iso). The Devuan installer only offers the text mode process, and it does not include the gtk mode process.

The installation principle is to boot up a generic kernel+initrd (the installer) and then expand that by loading modules from the ISO appropriate for the target system while stepping through installation until there is a target filesystem set up. At that point, it runs debootstrap for a base system, transfers the so far captured setup details, and then starts installing packages via a chroot into the target system. It's the packages themselves that provide the second part dialogs through their postinst scripts.

I suppose this particular issue concerns the installer's kernel+initrd and how it interacts with the GPU.

#6 2023-05-01 00:36:03

chomwitt

Thanks @fsmithred and @ralph.ronnquist . Indeed using vga=798 (1600x1200 , 16bit) the installer proceeds normal. The gpu is 6950xt . I had already problems using it at Chimaera , and it was suggested to me to try Daedalus. So i guess it's not my 21:9 monitor to blame.
@pcalvert . I didnt find text option. (default install , expert and speech)

#7 2023-05-01 14:12:41

chomwitt

OK. i managed to install Daedalus.
During installation i got error of not being able to access a repo for updates.
Also after installatiion i had to add in sources.list  non-free-firmware to install my gpu firmware. Why that change ?

Last edited by chomwitt (2023-05-01 14:16:36)

#8 2023-05-01 14:54:39

delgado

"non-free-firmware" was separeted in the upcomming Debian release.
It is the essential (non avoidable) part of non-free software, which is needed for some pieces of hardware to function at all.

#9 2023-05-01 16:34:55

Camtaf

Daedalus is not yet released, so there could/will be some things that don't work, or aren't available yet - work in progress - but soon, I expect. wink

Board footer