The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-04 04:35:37

czeekaj

Daily use without dbus.

has anyone been running devuan without dbus running?

I find it breaks XFCE gtk-3.0 themes. But other then that it seems to run alright.  But some dbus sockets will open depending what you are doing.
Chimera seems to use it a little more.. Is this a trend?

Is there a reason or a way to completely do away with dbus?  I see issues down the road, does anyone else see it?

dbus dependency seems like a catastrophic design flaw.

Last edited by czeekaj (2023-04-04 04:36:13)

#2 2023-04-04 09:10:12

Camtaf

Re: Daily use without dbus.

Chimera/chimaera - I just knew that O/S would cause problems! big_smile

#3 2023-04-04 14:08:42

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Daily use without dbus.

Yes, it's possible to run without dbus. I made some no-dbus live isos a few years ago and posted about it here:
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2158

There are links to my experimental isos, to lists of software that work without dbus, and probably some other good stuff.

Eliminating just dbus is not too difficult. I ditched xfce for openbox with lxpanel and lxterminal. No display manager, but in a live-iso it logs in automatically to desktop anyway. If installed, you would need to use startx.

If you want to eliminate all dbus libraries, then you become very limited. In that case, you might want to recompile some things so that they did not rely on those libs. It's probably not worth the effort to do that. The dbus libraries shouldn't be doing anything without dbus installed and running.

This is not my daily driver, but I do boot the live system for some online tasks that I don't want to do with my main system.

Board footer