The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-18 17:22:47

jue-gen

Who has the better Wayland support? Mate or KDE Plasma?

I read that Mate 1.26 implemented Wayland for Atril, System Monitor, Pluma, Terminal and other components of the desktop. In Daedalus Wayland 1.26.0-1 is available. My question: who do you think supports Wayland better, KDE Plasma or Mate? I just want to use the desktop environment that supports Wayland better.

#2 2023-02-18 17:58:37

Nili
Website

Re: Who has the better Wayland support? Mate or KDE Plasma?

The last time i used MATE it was from my Ubuntu/Mint times a decade or more ago.
I don't know how it is today, I only used with X, assumption, but i believe that KDE Plasma have the best and newest support for Wayland.

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

#3 2023-02-18 19:39:56

jue-gen

Nili wrote:

... but i believe that KDE Plasma have the best and newest support for Wayland.

Yes, it could be. But Gnome causes less problems than KDE Plasma with Wayland and maybe the Mate people got the technology for Wayland from Gnome. Maybe I should just test it.
I'm also not sure if Wayland has been implemented in Mate as fully as in KDE Plasma yet.

#4 2023-02-20 09:46:40

MLEvD

Looking at RBOS, kde plasma seems more complete than mate

#5 2023-02-21 00:39:38

hunter0one

MATE is not usable as a Wayland session. Initial support for Wayland was added in 1.26.0 (the version in Chimaera is 1.24) but only for a handful of MATE applications. See here: https://mate-desktop.org/blog/2021-08-0 … -released/:

We added Wayland support for Atril, System Monitor, Pluma, Terminal and other components of the Desktop.

#6 2023-02-21 09:08:41

jue-gen

hunter0one wrote:

MATE is not usable as a Wayland session. ...

Yes, I discovered that this morning after installation as well. Do I see it right that you can only use KDE Plasma in Devuan if you want Wayland for security reasons?

#7 2023-02-21 15:15:11

hunter0one

jue-gen wrote:

Do I see it right that you can only use KDE Plasma in Devuan if you want Wayland for security reasons?

I believe you can use GNOME on Devuan (which uses Wayland by default) but I don't think you want that. LOL.

If you want to use KDE with Wayland, I would recommend waiting for Daedulus or using Ceres because 5.26+ has far better support than 5.20. Its still buggy, but far less than the version in Chimaera.

#8 2023-02-21 16:09:11

jue-gen

hunter0one wrote:
jue-gen wrote:

Do I see it right that you can only use KDE Plasma in Devuan if you want Wayland for security reasons?

I believe you can use GNOME on Devuan (which uses Wayland by default) but I don't think you want that. LOL.

If you want to use KDE with Wayland, I would recommend waiting for Daedulus or using Ceres because 5.26+ has far better support than 5.20. Its still buggy, but far less than the version in Chimaera.

Yes, that's right, I don't really want Gnome. Apart from that, it probably doesn't run that well on Devuan either.
I use KDE Plasma 5.26.90 with Wayland on Daedalus. Strangely, I get error messages when I start it with X11. When I start it with Wayland, they don't appear.
So far I am quite satisfied. There are minor problems I have with it: The memory requirement is high, but that is more a theoretical problem. What has annoyed me is the clipboard, which I use intensively. I prefer to work with Diodon, because in Diodon I only have to select and click an entry and it is already pasted. I haven't been able to do that with the Plasma clipboard. Then, for example, there are also problems with a black screen, which also occurs in connection with mounting external USB storage devices. I then have to go to a TTY and reboot.
Yes, Gnome is supposed to work very well with Wayland. But -I think- if you want Gnome, you can also use Debian with systemd. Therefore Mate was interesting for me. But that is not yet so far. It's like LXQt. There is also already intensively prepared for Wayland.
Well, I sometimes fluctuate a lot from one to the other. I might just stay with KDE Plasma with Wayland for now.

#9 2023-02-22 18:35:26

hunter0one

Yeah, Klipper (the KDE clipboard) can be pretty annoying. I'm not a fan of Plasma but TDE, the equivalent to KDE that MATE is to GNOME, still uses Qt3 and so it looks a bit jarring compared to the applications you use. I don't use TDE these days. MATE is rather good but I fluctuate between it and Xfce, both of which are awaiting more Wayland support. Maybe one day.

Board footer