The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-19 01:45:03

deepforest

why this solution not working on Devuan Chimaera?

https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/ … dia-guide/
its was worked for me on Ceres but not work now on Chimaera

ps 340.108 driver

Last edited by deepforest (2023-01-19 01:45:27)

#2 2023-01-19 03:15:40

steve_v

Re: why this solution not working on Devuan Chimaera?

Because following some random blog post and using third-party executable installers rather than the repos is a sure-fire way to mess up your install?
The debian documentation and discussion boards are replete with warnings not to do this, and for good reason.

Other than that, if you want help you will need to provide a whole lot more information (with command output and such in code tags, not blurry screenshots) than just "why not working". Nobody here is psychic, and I for one am all out of patience for guessing games.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2023-01-19 14:09:59

blackhole

deepforest wrote:

340.108 driver

You won't get that version to run with a 5.5 or newer kernel without a kernel patch and recompile of the kernel.  I believe the release you are running is based on the 5.10 kernel.

Try searching the web for "Linux  5.10 nvidia 340.108"

#4 2023-01-20 04:08:46

deepforest

steve_v wrote:

Because following some random blog post and using third-party executable installers rather than the repos is a sure-fire way to mess up your install?
The debian documentation and discussion boards are replete with warnings not to do this, and for good reason.

Other than that, if you want help you will need to provide a whole lot more information (with command output and such in code tags, not blurry screenshots) than just "why not working". Nobody here is psychic, and I for one am all out of patience for guessing games.

its not random solution
its fully 100% solution for normal distros but not for "knee develop" semi working devuan

#5 2023-01-20 04:10:59

deepforest

blackhole wrote:
deepforest wrote:

340.108 driver

You won't get that version to run with a 5.5 or newer kernel without a kernel patch and recompile of the kernel.  I believe the release you are running is based on the 5.10 kernel.

Try searching the web for "Linux  5.10 nvidia 340.108"

you read thouse solution with attention? old driver patched for new kernels!

#6 2023-01-20 04:33:38

steve_v

deepforest wrote:

solution for normal distros but not for "knee develop" semi working devuan

ROFL. Devuan not including out-of-tree kernel patches for fossilised proprietary drivers is not a bug. Go hassle Nvidia to fix their trash.

All your threads are this same BS. Vague problem descriptions with insufficient debugging information, pigheaded insistence on doing things some $other_os way, then a bunch of complaining when you inevitably break your install. I'm done trying to help you, you just don't listen.

Bye now, have fun. I await your next reinstall thread with bated breath (and popcorn).

Last edited by steve_v (2023-01-20 04:46:27)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#7 2023-01-20 08:51:57

blackhole

deepforest wrote:

you read thouse solution with attention? old driver patched for new kernels!

Yes the patch is for the nvidia installer, not the kernel - my mistake.  I only know about this as I vaguely recall trying to install it a year or two ago without much success. I probably tried about has hard as you did, but refrained from starting a whiny thread on the subject.

If you know all about it, I have to wonder why you have started this thread...?

Rather than blaming the distribution, you should instead come to the realisation that no one on this site owes you a thing. If you have a problem with end of support hardware and a proprietary driver, that's entirely your own problem...

Last edited by blackhole (2023-01-20 08:52:43)

#8 2023-01-20 17:10:43

deepforest

steve_v wrote:
deepforest wrote:

solution for normal distros but not for "knee develop" semi working devuan

ROFL. Devuan not including out-of-tree kernel patches for fossilised proprietary drivers is not a bug. Go hassle Nvidia to fix their trash.

All your threads are this same BS. Vague problem descriptions with insufficient debugging information, pigheaded insistence on doing things some $other_os way, then a bunch of complaining when you inevitably break your install. I'm done trying to help you, you just don't listen.

Bye now, have fun. I await your next reinstall thread with bated breath (and popcorn).

no, its devuan piece of glitch bull shit

Last edited by deepforest (2023-01-20 17:11:14)

#9 2023-01-20 22:58:17

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

@deepforest, why do you waste your time here?

By the looks of it, your devuan experience still leaves you so tremendously emotionally stressed that you end up with nonsense posts seemingly without purpose. Surely you have better things to do?

But maybe your purpose is really to ball-plank ideas on how to overcome whatever technical barrier you are currently at?

Indeed, there may well be people with knowledge and experience on that at this forum!

And to tap into that you simply just tune your manners more towards showing purpose and respect.

#10 2023-01-21 04:30:38

deepforest

steve_v the first make offencive to me
i am just ask, have someone experience with script from first post?
and why if it worked on unstable, not working at stable?
driver from script is successfully installed but after, X do not starting.

#11 2023-01-21 05:19:19

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Yes, fair enough. Thanks.

And my request of respectful and purposeful dialogue does indeed apply to everyone.

#12 2023-01-22 04:32:37

deepforest

Thanks.
So, may be this script not working on chimaera(stable) because this driver is dropped on stable debian?
But still supported on sid and because working on ceres?
So, no way to make it working on chimaera?
Or just true way is using 340.108 from devuan repo?
But from devuan repo 340.108 is working but not perfectlly installs (nvidia-settings launch only from terminal and i need to delete some modprobe nvidia files because do not want see warnings during booting process)

#13 2023-01-22 16:25:49

deepforest

nobody knows?

#14 2023-01-22 16:44:43

Marjorie

deepforest wrote:

But from devuan repo 340.108 is working but not perfectly installs (nvidia-settings launch only from terminal and i need to delete some modprobe nvidia files because do not want see warnings during booting process)

In order to run nvidia video drivers the init will have to insert the nvidia kernel module, done by a modprobe. I have a pc (not my main pc) with an nvidia card and it invariably came up with an insert nvidia kernel module fail message early in the boot process though it would go on and succeed subsequently 'tainting the kernel'.

If you have deleted some 'modprobe nvidia files' you may have disabled this insertion.

When you change the kernel version the nvidia kernel module also needs to be recompiled and to do so requires that you have the matching kernel headers as well as the new kernel itself. If everything is present it does this automatically, however the PC will then need to be rebooted.

#15 2023-01-22 16:53:53

Altoid

Hello:

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

And my request of respectful and purposeful dialogue does indeed apply to everyone.

+1
Thank you for that.

A.

#16 2023-01-23 08:31:42

blackhole

deepforest wrote:

"knee develop" semi working devuan

deepforest wrote:

no, its devuan piece of glitch bull shit

deepforest wrote:

nobody knows?

I would guess that nobody knows/cares.

#17 2023-01-23 21:42:39

deepforest

@blackhole reported

#18 2023-01-24 05:49:54

steve_v

Another prime example of why I'm not being nice any more. ^

If you want people to help you, ragging on the distro for not supporting the weird crap you're trying to do really isn't the way.
You come in here with an attitude like that, you're liable to get the same right back.

Reporting people who call you out is just another nail in the coffin, particularly if you're so childish as to make an exhibition of it. We don't owe you anything, and neither does Devuan - it even states such right there in the console when you log in.

Last edited by steve_v (2023-01-24 05:53:16)

#19 2023-01-24 06:17:11

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

@steve_v, that kind of opinionated aggression is totally uncalled for. You may consider this a warning.

Board footer