The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-03-30 15:53:39

JWM-Kit
Website

Re: Announcing JWM Kit Live [updated iso download]

Sorry for the delay in answering. I've be out of town.  The bad news is JWM Kit Live has no wifi tools installed. Not even command line. The good news is this give you the freedom to choose your own wifi solution by simply using the package manager and a wired connection.  I recommend using ConnMan, but you can use whatever suits you.  Just use  Synaptic package manager to find an install it.

You may (or may not) need to install the firmware for your wifi card. Which is also not to complicated.  Just type lspci in the terminal and find the model of your wifi card and a simple search on duckduckgo should help you find what firmware package to install. Once again you can install it with Synaptic.

Hint: There is plenty of discussion on the web regarding wifi tools and firmware for Debian based Distros.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2021-03-30 15:56:44)

#27 2021-03-30 15:54:54

JWM-Kit
Website

I am aware that not providing these wifi tools/firmware in JWM Kit has been a barrier to those with no access wired internet. Just another thing to consider in the future release. Which will happen eventually. I know people want results not words, but I want a release of much greater quality than my first effort.

On another note, I just realize a pretty serious bug in the initial release of JWM Kit Live. It seems the folder ~/.local belongs to root instead of the user.

Issue the following command in the terminal to fix it.
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER ~/.local

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2021-03-30 15:57:30)

#28 2023-01-19 10:54:43

nixer

Well I think I will resurrect an almost two year old thread today.  I think this belongs here instead of a new topic.

I am having trouble getting the following items from the JWM-Kit to open - Freedesktops, Trays, and Menus.  These will not open and I can see no notations anywhere in any log file that might display a missing dependency message or something similar.  Also it is not picking up the .desktop files to display within the menu.  So when I click on the start button (the rocket icon in the system tray - left side) I can see the menu but all that is displaying is the word "Applications", then a double line horizontal separator, and the word "Exit".  If the menu needs to be built manually, that is fine, but I am unable to open the menu builder program of JWM-Kit. 

I feel like I am missing a dependency, but that is a guess.  What I am using is a 64-bit beowulf minimal netinstall with a dist-upgrade to chimaera.  I installed jwm and xserver-xorg, then installed the jwmkit*.deb file, and finally the programs menu and arandr.  I am using the devuan 32bit build from the above links as a guide.

Any ideas on what is needed for the missing JWM-Kit programs to display?

Edit:  I think I was accurate with the missing dependency.  If anyone knows what it is, I would like to know.  This JWM-kit works fine on a chimaera netinstall 64bit build.  Been tinkering with it some this morning, and am impressed with it.

Last edited by nixer (2023-01-19 13:31:47)

#29 2023-01-19 15:50:52

JWM-Kit
Website

Wow you did dig up an old thread.  But no harm done. The following threads concerning JWMKit are much newer.

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=4473
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=4542

I'm glad you are "impressed" with JWMKit.  I've tried my best to create it in a way that respects the user while also creating a very usable experience.  If you haven't already done so I recommend checking out the wiki as it reveals some of JWMKit's nicer and more advanced features.

The fact that you didn't even have a fully populated menu is odd since jwmkit_easymenu only requires Python3 to work, and I seriously doubt you were missing Python3.  The JWMKit package installs it's own python module called  jwmkit_utils.py .   If this file was missing you would have the exact same experience you described.  I don't know why it would be missing as it should of been installed.  I wonder if uninstalling and reinstalling would of fix the issue?

The JWMKit package provided on my Sourceforge site should handle the dependencies. With that said I've not tested the newer builds on older versions of Devuan/Debian. It seems dpkg ignores dependencies so I advise using either apt or gdebi to install local packages.

On another note, Sourceforge is flaking out and the files have disappeared for many project.  Sadly JWMKit is one of those projects.

EDIT - The Sourceforge issue has been fixed.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2023-01-19 17:09:22)

#30 2023-01-20 02:31:23

nixer

Thank you for the newer post links.  I did a search and responded to the thread that showed first.  Sorry about posting in the oldest thread.

Thank you for your work / contribution.

Board footer