The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-27 13:25:12

Evenson

Musings on Alpine

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

elogind just provides the APIs expected by the applications. FWIW I use seatd instead of elogind in Alpine. Have you tried that?

I tried alpinelinux today on a spare computer, latest release wouldnt install, got right to the end of the installation and i think was doing a check on the kernel apk and aborted with "bad signature".  I tried once more to install and had the same error message using the built in installer. I dont have much luck with alpinelinux, it always seems to throw error messages when i install. Last time i tried it was around 3.16 and it couldnt find firmware so just aborted the installation. Not a very user friendly installation imo.

"A stop job is running..." - SystemD

#2 2022-12-27 14:02:41

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Musings on Alpine

I actually meant: have you tried seatd in Devuan? I don't know if it can be used as an elogind replacement yet.

Alpine is aimed at power users so it doesn't even try to be "user friendly". Thank "$DEITY".

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2022-12-27 14:25:11

Evenson

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I actually meant: have you tried seatd in Devuan? I don't know if it can be used as an elogind replacement yet.

Alpine is aimed at power users so it doesn't even try to be "user friendly". Thank "$DEITY".

I have not tried it on devuan. I was wanting to give alpine another try though.

I dont believe a power user would appreciate a linux kernel being unable to pass a check by the internal installer. Bad signature internally in apk is a problem wholly outside of the user, and when the installer aborts and leaves no room for a remedy, its called a critical bug, not a feature for "power users".

#4 2022-12-27 14:39:08

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The vast majority of Alpine systems run in containers and so don't need kernels. FWIW I've just tried a virtual installation of 3.17 using this ISO image and following these instructions. The kernel (linux-lts) installed just fine without any errors.

#5 2022-12-27 14:46:12

Evenson

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The vast majority of Alpine systems run in containers and so don't need kernels. FWIW I've just tried a virtual installation of 3.17 using this ISO image and following these instructions. The kernel (linux-lts) installed just fine without any errors.

I installed on a bare metal Intel Nuc. Same iso, gpg sha checked. Maybe it is a mirror problem? I dont know how alpine syncs mirrors during install, would this be an issue? Should i just leave the mirror default cdn alpine mirror or did you choose a closer mirror to your region?

#6 2022-12-27 14:53:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I just selected the first mirror, which is the default. The (LTS) kernel version was only updated yesterday so perhaps you managed to try it while they were changing the version or something. Anyway it worked for me just now.

#7 2022-12-27 14:57:36

Evenson

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I just selected the first mirror, which is the default. The (LTS) kernel version was only updated yesterday so perhaps you managed to try it while they were changing the version or something. Anyway it worked for me just now.

I think you summed it up well in regards to alpinelinux not being for the desktop. Just like Netbsd is more suited for appliances and obscure hardware.

#8 2022-12-28 00:27:12

andyprough

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

antiX moved to seatd instead of elogind 2 1/2 months ago, when antiX 22 was released. Seems to work fine.

#9 2022-12-28 12:14:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Oh, that is interesting. Thanks Andy. Time to give antiX another spin...

And thanks to @admin for splitting this out :-)

#10 2022-12-28 16:30:27

andyprough

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Oh, that is interesting. Thanks Andy. Time to give antiX another spin...

When you do, check out what this person is doing with Wayland-only antiX (no X) and a Wayland tiling window manager called Hyprland - https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-without-x-wayland-only/

Also, check out what antiX users are doing to get pipewire working on antiX with seatd and no elogind - https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/pipewire-without-systemd/page/5/#post-95369

#11 2022-12-28 18:38:18

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Hmm. I have the greatest of respect for the antiX developers but the distribution makes some very opinionated design choices and I strongly disagree with almost all of them. I'm fighting it every step of the way.

Back to Alpine for me. They don't have any opinions about the desktop at all, which suits me far better.

#12 2023-01-02 05:50:25

andyprough

I was poking around at Void again today, as I often do, and I saw that Void can also replace elogind with seatd.

Void also has a Wayland tiling window manager called "river" that I'm hoping to try soon.

#13 2023-04-24 19:45:28

pcalvert

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I have the greatest of respect for the antiX developers but the distribution makes some very opinionated design choices and I strongly disagree with almost all of them. I'm fighting it every step of the way.

Perhaps you could sidestep those issues by starting with antiX-core ("no gui environment") or antiX-net ("no X"). At least I hope that's the case, because that is what I was thinking of doing.

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Board footer