The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-03 00:42:45

sgage

apt-mark

There used to be a utility called apt-mark that easily let you mark packages that are marked for auto-removal as manually installed. It is not in the repos as far as I can tell (chimaera). A highly useful tool if you want to remove some undesirable package that depends on many other key packages that you don't want removed. I used it a lot back in the day, but it seems to have disappeared. Though if you 'man apt' and search for 'mark' it is mentioned.

It is an invaluable tool if you're trying to lean down your system, and I'd dearly love to have it back.. What happened to it, and where can I find it?

TIA

#2 2022-10-03 04:03:17

steve_v

Re: apt-mark

Huh? apt-mark is included with apt, it's never been a separate package AFAIK.

cat /etc/devuan_version 
chimaera
dpkg -S `which apt-mark`
apt: /usr/bin/apt-mark

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2022-10-03 11:22:37

sgage

steve_v wrote:

Huh? apt-mark is included with apt, it's never been a separate package AFAIK.

cat /etc/devuan_version 
chimaera
dpkg -S `which apt-mark`
apt: /usr/bin/apt-mark

Thanks for the reply. When I typed 'apt-mark' yesterday, I got 'command not found'. Today it's working. Not sure what happened, but thanks for making me look again...

#4 2022-10-03 15:01:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Note that apt install $package will change the status of $package from automatic to explicitly installed.

Also note that aptitude can do everything apt-mark can do; it even accepts the same options. I don't have a De{vu,bi}an system handy to check but I think apt unmarkauto $package might also work.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#5 2022-10-03 16:28:49

chris2be8

sgage wrote:

When I typed 'apt-mark' yesterday, I got 'command not found'. Today it's working.

From experience the most likely explanation is that you misspelt it yesterday. I've learnt to take a hard look at what I typed if I get that error.

Have you still got the screen output? Or does your command history show you what you really typed?

If it's not that could your PATH have been altered to not include /usr/bin?

#6 2022-10-03 23:03:40

sgage

chris2be8 wrote:
sgage wrote:

When I typed 'apt-mark' yesterday, I got 'command not found'. Today it's working.

From experience the most likely explanation is that you misspelt it yesterday. I've learnt to take a hard look at what I typed if I get that error.

Have you still got the screen output? Or does your command history show you what you really typed?

If it's not that could your PATH have been altered to not include /usr/bin?

I will check the command history - I suspect a misspelling. My aging eyes are not what they used to be...

Board footer