The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-29 05:49:02

wingcommander1999

[HowTo]Install latests community NvidiaGraphicsDrivers on DEVUAN 4

First step install Linux Headers and compilation dependencies:

sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential libglvnd-dev pkg-config dkms -y

Second step blacklist the nouveau driver, create a blacklist file:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

In the file add the following and save the file:

blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0

Then regenerate the kernel initramfs:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Third step install the latests NvidiaGraphicsDrivers:

sudo apt install firmware-misc-nonfree nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-driver nvidia-cuda-toolkit nvidia-cuda-dev nvidia-settings nvidia-smi nvidia-xconfig nvidia-opencl-icd nvidia-opencl-common nvidia-detect -y

Reboot.

To view how version you have installed, just open an terminal and enter follow:

nvidia-smi

Source

[Edit] After updating the repos there was a dependency error with the nvidia-settings package in the backports sources, to fix this incident it was enough to remove the backports source command.

It may happen that the persistenced daemon does not activate and need i386 binaries to work, it will then have to be done manually with the commands below:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
sudo update-rc.d nvidia-persistenced defaults
sudo service nvidia-persistenced start

Source

Enjoy!

Last edited by wingcommander1999 (2022-08-30 13:15:57)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 - 4x8GB DDR4 - SSD 1,5TO - GTX1660TI 6GB - PSU Gigabyte 750W Gold - Zalman X3 White
Devuan / W11

#2 2023-08-20 13:58:27

tripole
Website

Re: [HowTo]Install latests community NvidiaGraphicsDrivers on DEVUAN 4

Registered here at the forum just to thank you @wingcommander1999 for this post.

My upgrade Chimaera -> Daedalus somehow botched my Nvidia driver install and your post saved me (after I had tried, unsuccessfully, to reinstall the drivers).

A couple of things worth noting for others: The repo "non-free-firmware" must be enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list in order to able to install the package firmware-nvidia-gsp (which is a requirement). Also, I just removed the package nvidia-persistenced without any visibly negative effects (so far).

Board footer