The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-10 08:44:45

l3u

OpenRC questions (migrating from Gentoo)

Hi forum :-)

I'm about to set up some machines previously run by Gentoo using Devuan. I was very happy to see that, in the Debian universe, there are also some sane people not using systemd ;-)

Obviously, I chose OpenRC as the init system. But now, I have a few questions about it, esp. as the installer states that there was some manual configuration to do using OpenRC. This is definitely not a problem for a Gentoo user though.

First I cleaned up some stuff I don't need, e.g. the brltty, saned, ofono etc. But their init scripts remained in the respective runlevel after the packages were removed, interestingly, the symlinks still pointed to existing scripts. So I ran rc-update del ... to also remove the init scripts.

Is this the "manual configuration" I have to do when using OpenRC on Devuan? And why are the packages not removed completely? (Sorry if this is some normal behavior on Debian based systems; for almost 20 years now I have been using nothing else than Gentoo)

The other thing is: What about OpenRC's network configuration capabilities? Through OpenRC's netifrc module, one can setup all kinds of network connections, and this is especially useful for wired connections. No need for any daemon to run, just a setup in /etc/conf.d/net, a symlink to /etc/init.d/net.lo, and adding it to the default runlevel and you're done.

But there's neither /etc/conf.d, nor /etc/init.d/net.lo.

So: Is this supported and/or intended to be used on Devuan?

Thanks for all clarification!

Last edited by l3u (2022-07-10 08:45:57)

#2 2022-07-11 11:38:13

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: OpenRC questions (migrating from Gentoo)

Welcome to Devuan. In Debian and Devuan, openrc uses the sysvinit scripts. That's about all I know about it. I think there are some on-screen instructions when you install it that talk about fixing links that might be relevant if you're replacing sysvinit but get done automatically if you choose openrc when installing the system. That's based on my memory of doing a couple of test installs in the past few years, worth what you paid for it.

Removed packages sometimes leave config files behind. Purging the package instead will remove the configs. To see all leftover configs and remove them:

aptitude search ~c
aptitude purge ~c
# or be specific
aptitude purge <package package...>

This might be of interest. (more package manager commands)
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=511

There are a few people here using openrc. You'll get better answers from them. Also, search the forum for past discussions on openrc. There have been a few.

#3 2022-07-11 11:59:39

l3u

Ah okay, I only used "apt remove" until now. I dodn't know there also was some "more complete" removal. Thanks for the hint!

#4 2022-07-12 06:05:35

charliebrownau
Website

Gday Welcome new person from gentoo

BTW I also use Devuan

I came from Artix + Endeavour OS

Board footer