The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-06 03:59:18

kyuss
Member
Registered: 2022-06-28
Posts: 21  

refractasnapshot - chimaera - lz4 decompression

Ive come across a strange error when using refractasnapshot. I installed a copy of chimaera by using the git version of devuan debootstrap from artix linux, so debootstrapped from a working copy of artix linux to another partition on the drive. I managed to figure out that for some reason initramfs-tools (update-initramfs) used lz4 in config file /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf making refracta throw "Decompression Error".

Easy fixed by changing initramfs.conf to gzip or xz, just thought id let it be known here, maybe the snapshot script needs updating and maybe lz4 is the standard compression being used by debian now in initramfs-tools instead of cpio or gzip?

I noticed in the refractasnapshot script from line 316 there is no mention of lz4 in extract_initrd.

In saying all that, maybe my case is a strange one and most installs get the initrd compressed using gzip or cpio?

Last edited by kyuss (2022-07-06 04:00:16)

Offline

#2 2022-07-06 12:00:07

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 2,099  

Re: refractasnapshot - chimaera - lz4 decompression

lzma is an edge case that's come up a couple times in the past. I think maybe ubuntu uses it, too. That section of the script needs an overhaul, and I keep putting it off. Changes in the way amd and intel microcode are applied broke my code. I have some replacement code for that, but I don't look forward to all the testing needed to make sure it's right. But I do need to get to it soon.

In addition to lzma, I see in daedalus that zstd is the new default in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf. When I run update-initramfs there, I get

W: No zstd in /usr/bin:/sbin:/bin, using gzip

Offline

#3 2022-07-08 11:21:18

kyuss
Member
Registered: 2022-06-28
Posts: 21  

Re: refractasnapshot - chimaera - lz4 decompression

I did notice intel-microcode through refractasnapshot was throwing an error as well but im not savvy enough to debug that so i removed the microcode. Anyhow thanks for confirming and all the best with your code updates.

Offline

Board footer