The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-20 16:59:39

hunter0one

Popping sound solutions

Hey everyone,

I've used Devuan for quite some time and I enjoy it a lot. On my most recent installation, I'm having trouble with popping sounds. I typically only get the popping after I install pulseaudio since I cant get audio to work with ALSA and apulse. I've tried everything. I messed with the configuration files in /etc/pulse but I still got popping (and in fact I think I made it worse). Even after removing pulseaudio from my system, I still have popping.

I've tried to set "options snd-hda-intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N" inside of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf but this also didn't do anything. I would love to try Pipewire to see if it's the solution but it looks like even a year later its completely unmodified from Debian which uses a systemd unit to work. I've used FreeBSD in the past which uses Open Sound System v4 and had no issues at all with these headphones.

I am on Devuan Ceres using Trinity Desktop Environment. If anyone knows more about audio, your help would be appreciated. This popping is very annoying and it occurs on almost every Linux distro I've tried, I've managed to minimize it in the past by fooling with vague configurations that I can't even remember. I thought I did what helped me the last time (flat-volumes=no and sample rate set to 48000 in daemon.conf), but it's still doing it.

EDIT: I apologize for putting this in Devuan. I didn't realize I wasn't in the support section.

Last edited by hunter0one (2022-03-20 17:00:28)

#2 2022-04-02 15:33:29

hunter0one

Re: Popping sound solutions

So I eventually got ALSA to be audible and am using a pure ALSA system. Popping is still present but less noticeable than before. My knowledge of ALSA (or pipewire/pulseaudio even) is pretty limited so any insight on reducing popping would be appreciated.

#3 2022-04-14 21:59:58

charliebrownau
Website

Re: Popping sound solutions

Gday

Try forcing the sound card or audio interface to certain values
dont let ALSA or sound mixers or anything else attempt to change the values on the fly

eg   fixed at 44hz

Board footer