The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-07 18:53:04

zephyr
Website

Anyone a audiophile...questions?

Bought a preamp for a turntable, it's a DaytonAudio HDT100SB, analog tube amp. Have a Denon AVR-X1600H receiver. Is it possible to have these two
connected?

https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/168 … b-out-100w

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av- … avr-x1600h

So many variables for a guy like me, like the noise I get but not in the know with a simplified diagram which I have Googled the piss out of!

Any help greatly appreciated. Have 2 other Denon receivers, just had to have one with Bluetooth! I might be asking too much, I can get it going with just the Dayton amp!

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#2 2022-03-07 19:03:38

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Anyone a audiophile...questions?

zephyr wrote:

Is it possible to have these two connected?

Only by using the subwoofer mono output with a 2:1 phono connector. Unless the valve amp has a headphone output that I can't see, in which case you could use a headphone jack to phono stereo connector.

Note that the linked DaytonAudio device is actually an integrated amplifier with a valve ("tube") preamp and a transistor power amp stage.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2022-03-07 19:52:56

zephyr
Website

@  HoaS: You are a man of many talents!  No headphone capability other that it does have Bluetooth which is fine for a headset. My main concern was incompatibility, end results being I fried the circuits of one or the other, or even both. I may just keep it separate. With a TV Roku, DVD, and a monitor to use the Denon configuration guide. I have an old school Harman Kardon equalizer which may find a home with the Dayton amp.

I can remember simpler days, plug and play pretty much with some of the best components.

Again, thanks! Always appreciated!

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#4 2022-03-07 20:20:58

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

You could connect the receiver "pre out" to the valve amp "aux" phono input actually. Then connect the valve amp outputs to the (stereo) speakers.

All that lovely second harmonic valve distortion might actually make the receiver sound better but the signal would go through two pre-amp stages (plus wire and connectors), which isn't ideal.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-03-07 20:21:39)

#5 2022-03-08 04:22:12

zephyr
Website

HoaS wrote: You could connect the receiver "pre out" to the valve amp "aux" phono input actually. Then connect the valve amp outputs to the (stereo) speakers.

All that lovely second harmonic valve distortion might actually make the receiver sound better but the signal would go through two pre-amp stages (plus wire and connectors), which isn't ideal.

Spent all evening looking over the manuals of both! The Denon, all the settings is routed to my TV, and I did find some charts with a preamp configuration, so I will give it a try, but not with my newest Denon. Just a bit afraid to trash it accidentally. 

I have seven speakers and two subs hooked up to the Denon AVR-X1600H, one is a 12" and the other 10, The larger is front loaded and the smaller is aimed at  the floor. I get fantastic sound,  I need to move, I got halfway through the microphone set up with the Atmos, and although I live in a retirement oriented cottage apartments, they didn't like the sound that the receiver made calibration each one, it is loud...they beat on my wall. I'm mellow and civil, but don't see myself old,  I like noise, and that makes me happy! So, need to find a place where I can crank it. smile 

I do appreciate the help, and also like to point out you moving from BunsenLabs, think highly of the crew over there, like the distro. Respect and thinks it's awesome you came over. smile

Cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#6 2022-03-08 13:07:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

zephyr wrote:

Just a bit afraid to trash it accidentally.

It should be fine connecting the receiver line out ("pre out") to the valve amp line in ("aux"), just be careful with the volume setting on the receiver. They're both line level, which should be limited to a maximum of 2 volts (the CD standard).

Valve pre-amps tend to swing more volts than transistor pre-amp stages which might be a bit more risky so if you try the mono subwoofer output keep the volume on the valve pre-amp low at first.

Just don't try to connect the speaker outputs to a line level input wink

#7 2022-03-12 03:04:12

zephyr
Website

HoaS wrote: Just don't try to connect the speaker outputs to a line level input

Thank you, cold weather, bat-virus covid, along with having things do like this and that Rasp Pi I still have in a box from a couple of Christmas's back have been rattling my cage! smile

I'm one of those people who, when I see a desktop or any gadget with an electric plug sitting next to a trash dumpster...it comes home. I got so many fixed computers, time to donate! Have never bought a computer, even my first was pieced together. Have some very powerful build machines that I'm proud of. Compulsive I suppose toward gadgets! smile

cheers

z

Last edited by zephyr (2022-03-12 03:05:20)

CROWZ

Board footer