The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-07 17:03:34

zephyr
Website

Loss of a friend

Almost to the day, 12 years later, I lost my first dog, Guinevere (Geneva) a Shih Tzu on 08 Jan 2022. She died from renal failure, my veterinarian diagnosed her with renal (kidney) failure when she first showed signs of the disease, more than 3 years ago. A slow process of death, and yet the symptoms came and went, and she bounces back. She had several episodes closely together after Thanksgiving, her birthday. Knew that something was terminal, just didn't want to accept that of my best  canine friend.

A young lady was a bit more than a casual admirer, presented her as a gift and a goodbye after 10 years of failing to step into my 4th marriage. However, she did drop off 2 more dogs and all around Thanksgiving time. Geneva was more symbolic than just a pet.

First time, despite numerous marriages, partner live ins, family. Spent way too many years away somewhere... all come and go.

Now, I know what it's like to have my heart truly broken! 

Geneva, has a sister (Sophia) born 1 year after her, and on, yup Thanksgiving. smile Black, white with large dark blue eyes. Unusual!

Geneva was my sidekick, rode shotgun everywhere. Now in the fall/winter of my life...she will be truly missed!

YMY8sAnl.png

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2022-03-07 17:08:00)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#2 2022-03-07 17:29:11

Ogis1975
Website

Re: Loss of a friend

I express my sincere condolences to you. I know and understand how sad you are. I myself, four years ago, lost my best friend-cat named Ogis ... and although four years have passed, I am still very sad ....

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#3 2022-03-07 17:33:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Sorry for your loss zephyr, that is tragic news. What a gorgeous dog she was.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2022-03-07 17:49:17

zephyr
Website

@ Ogis1975: Thank you, my family had numerous Boxers, and my daughter has a brindle and black and white, beautiful dogs. When I was given the Shih Tzu, a little fuzz ball didn't know what to think, really.  Little girl had to be within a foot or two of me her whole life, laid on my feet in winter, monks bred that into them. Strong, sturdy little dogs, and learned many dies from challenging larger dogs over food bowl. Brave, my two wanted to take on a Bobcat, and a coyote. They are great pets for those who want a great dog.

Her dog tags would make contact with her water or food bowl, when I hear it I'm surprised now had the other is next to me. Strange or my imagination, wishful thinking!   

Cat or dog, when you love your pet. They choose you, truly lucky if they love you, but it will be unconditional, unlike people. Well, maybe not all!

The three Shih Tzu's were nicknamed the "Posse" by my neighbors. They don't engage, just makes a lot of noise.

Appreciate the support smile

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#5 2022-03-07 17:56:13

zephyr
Website

@ HoaS:  Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words! She was smart, actually taught her a few human words! "I love you", "hello",  was working on "out".  As to go outside. They all could be negotiable a scam to get a treat, scammers!

In panic, she would try and climb me to...well, get sick on, just let her do it. She was a great little dog. So is Sophia, blessed I have her too! 

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#6 2022-03-08 00:54:47

sgage

zephyr wrote:

Almost to the day, 12 years later, I lost my first dog, Guinevere (Geneva) a Shih Tzu on 08 Jan 2022. She died from renal failure, my veterinarian diagnosed her with renal (kidney) failure when she first showed signs of the disease, more than 3 years ago. A slow process of death, and yet the symptoms came and went, and she bounces back. She had several episodes closely together after Thanksgiving, her birthday. Knew that something was terminal, just didn't want to accept that of my best  canine friend.

A young lady was a bit more than a casual admirer, presented her as a gift and a goodbye after 10 years of failing to step into my 4th marriage. However, she did drop off 2 more dogs and all around Thanksgiving time. Geneva was more symbolic than just a pet.

First time, despite numerous marriages, partner live ins, family. Spent way too many years away somewhere... all come and go.

Now, I know what it's like to have my heart truly broken! 

Geneva, has a sister (Sophia) born 1 year after her, and on, yup Thanksgiving. smile Black, white with large dark blue eyes. Unusual!

Geneva was my sidekick, rode shotgun everywhere. Now in the fall/winter of my life...she will be truly missed!

https://imgur.com/YMY8sAnl.png

cheers

zephyr

I am very much a dog person, and I understand. For the last 30 years, I've always had at least 2 dogs, usually 3, and sometimes 5. I remember every one of them, and they're all buried on the property here. Many breeds, many abilities. German Shepherds are one thing, Border Collies are another. Always a Lab in the mix. So many adventures and memories! So much love! Saying good-bye is a built-in part of being an HC (that's what they call us - Human Companions)

Most (but not all) of our dogs have been rescues, including a German Shepherd who was tied to a tree at a highway rest area and abandoned. One suspects there is an exceptionally hot place prepared for someone who would do that.

One of my best dogs was an old GSD actually named Zephyr. His owner was engaged to be married, and his fiancee made him get rid of him! Can you imagine marrying such a human...

Anyway, memory eternal to our faithful canine friends. The dog-human relationship goes back to the beginning, and might have made us human...

#7 2022-03-08 03:51:04

GlennW

My condolences to you zephyr, Dogs are the best people!

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#8 2022-03-08 04:04:47

zephyr
Website

sgage wrote: Anyway, memory eternal to our faithful canine friends. The dog-human relationship goes back to the beginning, and might have made us human...

You have made a profound statement, something I never thought about, however have debated who often is the better person. Rather, I agree, we became the better person in the dog/human relationship. I know what pet jealously is, recently told "I wish you showed me just half of what affection you show those dogs", I let her go. smile     

You are very much like myself, I believe when it comes to animals, have a special place in my heart for a stray, or one left abandoned.  Have had strays show up at my door, looking and need of a friend. Feed them, look after them and normally found a no-kill shelter. She said, "never met anyone who let their dogs sit at the dining table" ...it's my table. smile

Done many zephyr and crowz  builds with them both in my lap, if they want up, I helped them up.

That is cool, Zephyr for a GSD, never owned one, family had Boxers and a couple of Black Labs. Zephyr is a nickname, fast like the train, like the old Zephyr Lincoln car.

If someone said at this age you would end up with 3 Shih Tzu's and all related, I would have maybe moved away or something. Do think they are probably one of the cleanest, although high maintenance. I cut and groomed them later on to save money every 5 weeks.  Liked them because they were alert, and often alerted enough during the night to lock and load for a PERP. They would not engage, which pleased me. They would raise 7 kinds of hell over a cat in the backyard, or when the front door was open with just the storm door, so they could watch the traffic. Had friends who had cats, and sometimes came by to see the dogs, they lost their minds like they were gonna fight, open the door and let the cat in, and they played. 

Thanks for the chat, down to one and still she piles up her toys to play each night.

Thanks for the link, will have to look that over.

cheers

zeohyr

Last edited by zephyr (2022-03-08 04:06:28)

CROWZ

#9 2022-03-08 08:42:54

berni51
Website

So sad to loose a good friend!
In January I lost Yellow, a Samojede mix from Romania. He was not my dog, but I visited Yello every day and we made long walks together. In the beginning Yellow was a problematic dog and his owner, a middleaged Lady, had diffculties to hande the dog.
After some years however Yellow was one of the best dogs in town. I miss Yellow and I understand zephyr.
Still sad, Berni

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

#10 2022-03-08 23:05:55

zephyr
Website

berni51 wrote: Thank you for your shared emotions with the love and appreciation of a dog.

That is what I got caught up in was the time I spent, different from people, not that people are also good, just that a dog is there to please, and the trust is their companionship. A dog to me was a bit of fresh air without drama, or arguing, attitude at times oh-yea! wink

Have family b marriage in Idar-Oberstein, sister-in-law's family. I used to fly jaunts several times a day from Mildenhall, UK to Ramstein. Never got the opportunity to see the countryside. 

have a great day!

cheers

CROWZ

#11 2022-03-09 07:29:22

darry1966

Hi Zephyr,
I am sorry to hear of your loss.  All the best.

Last edited by darry1966 (2022-03-09 07:31:35)

#12 2022-03-12 02:53:00

zephyr
Website

darry1966 wrote: Hi Zephyr,
I am sorry to hear of your loss.  All the best.

Thank you, the little girl and I were close. Older I have become more sentimental and appreciate things more regardless of the noise of the world. smile

cheers

z

CROWZ

Board footer