The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-01 08:19:29

zero

New installation yesterday from netinstall.iso and different behavior.

Yesterday, I have installed twice Devuan on my pc, and I have noticed something strange the second time, and I and get a suspend issue (but this one is for another topic).

Before that, Devuan was installed on this same machine. It worked very well since 2018, but was based on an older Debian install. Moreover, I wanted to setup runit without too much works.

I have first download the netinstall iso from the website. Then wipe out the partition table.

The first time the installer:

• setup itself the network with the good private IP and put Google DNS, without DHCP;

• asked me to register the user into sudo group;

• asked me some stuff related to country and locales to finally setup correctly the time.

At boot time, I noticed that I did a mistake on the partitioning, so I have wipe out again the partition table and reinstall Devuan with the exact same options selected. But this time, the installer did not setup the network, nor asked me to add the user into sudo group, and finally did not ask me anything about the timezone and did not setup correctly the clock.

Does anybody can explain why the installer have such irregular behavior?

#2 2022-03-02 01:13:22

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: New installation yesterday from netinstall.iso and different behavior.

I have suspected that the installer does not do the same thing every time, but I usually blow through it so quickly, I'm not 100% sure that I really am doing the same thing. This is not new. This has been going on since Debian Lenny.

I've also noticed that if I abort an install and re-start it, some of my choices are saved. I don't know where they get saved, but I'm sure they do.

#3 2022-03-02 11:27:53

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The installer can grab some information from the router using the MAC address as an identifier. The OpenBSD installer also does this, interestingly. Still freaks me out though :-)

In respect of sudo, the user is only added to that group automatically if no root password is entered.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2022-03-04 13:45:11

zero

Thanks to you two. At least I am not crazy!

Seems that we have to deal with it, but it is not a big deal.

#5 2022-03-05 13:45:12

hevidevi

Ive made a mistake or two in the past and aborted the netinstall, not rebooted but kept the same session and have had previous entries saved. I would say there is a local cache save mechanism in play here. Same with openbsd as hoas points out.Ive also had missing steps, most notably tzdata and hostname data.

Last edited by hevidevi (2022-03-05 13:48:46)

Board footer