The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#501 2022-01-07 01:46:13

Ron

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Hi MiyoLinux, I responded to your email.

#502 2022-01-08 12:12:02

Apostate

Thanks for the MATE iso - I always use MATE as my DE so this is most welcome.

#503 2022-01-08 15:16:28

MiyoLinux

Apostate wrote:

You're welcome. smile

Please forgive me if it's too minimal. Although I'm a minimalist, I know very little about desktop environments...and even less about MATE. sad

It is meant to be just a very minimal MATE desktop so a user can add what they want to it...including extra MATE and caja packages.

I hope it works well for you. wink

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#504 2022-01-09 14:51:29

Ron

I just installed the new version with Mate, and I've come across a problem I never had before. During boot-up, I get this screen below, and it stays stuck on it for about 30-60 seconds, after which it then continues to the boot-up. I'm going to reinstall after posting this and hope the problem gets resolved. And yes, the download of the iso file came through fine, I checked the checksum. (Maybe there was a problem with the burn to the DVD?) I'll post back here after the reinstall.

AeJe05h.jpg

#505 2022-01-09 15:08:46

Ron

Okay, it's still happening after the reinstall. Any ideas what to do? I guess I can reburn to a new DVD disc and try again.

Last edited by Ron (2022-01-09 16:01:57)

#506 2022-01-09 15:56:00

Apostate

MiyoLinux wrote:
Apostate wrote:

You're welcome. smile

Please forgive me if it's too minimal. Although I'm a minimalist, I know very little about desktop environments...and even less about MATE. sad

It is meant to be just a very minimal MATE desktop so a user can add what they want to it...including extra MATE and caja packages.

I hope it works well for you. wink

it works great for me. minimal is good as far as I am concerned - the Debian live ISOs are 3gb+ in size - this is a much more sensible size

#507 2022-01-09 16:03:35

Ron

Burned a new disc and reinstalled from that. One thing I did differently this time was I did not load the live session to RAM like I did the first two times. I still have the problem. What to do now?

#508 2022-01-09 16:08:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Ron wrote:

During boot-up, I get this screen below, and it stays stuck on it for about 30-60 seconds, after which it then continues to the boot-up.

See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=266085 & https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=213023

tl;dr: your motherboard firmware ("BIOS") is somewhat crappy and this is interfering with the new kernel's ACPI interface.

You could try updating the firmware but that can be risky (as seen in the Arch forums thread) and you could also try adding acpi=off as a kernel command line parameter but that might break other stuff. Other acpi= options are available: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/ … ers.txt#L1

The kernel bug report suggests this has been fixed in later versions so perhaps try the backported kernel metapackage and see if that works better. The Liquorix kernel is another option (they have Debian bullseye packages that should be compatible) and that is updated faster than backports so will be better in respect of security.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#509 2022-01-09 16:31:03

Ron

Thanks HoaS. Which would you recommend? The backported kernel metapackage or Liquorix?

I'm a bit of a novice in things like this. How do I add the backported kernel metapackage?

EDIT
I found this. Do I follow your instructions there to a -T-  ??

Last edited by Ron (2022-01-09 16:33:50)

#510 2022-01-09 16:55:34

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Ron wrote:

The backported kernel metapackage or Liquorix?

I would lean towards Liquorix because they update *very* quickly and their kernel is "desktop tuned".

Ron wrote:

Do I follow your instructions there to a -T-  ??

They're old instructions. I rage-quit the Debian forums after that fat ugly bastard Steve McIntyre criticised me for being rude. Wanker big_smile

For Devuan add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera-backports main

Then update the package database and install the metapackage:

# apt update
# apt install -t chimaera-backports linux-image-amd64

^ That presumes a 64-bit system; for 32-bit use linux-image-686-pae or linux-image-686 for really old systems that don't support PAE.

#511 2022-01-09 17:45:27

Ron

Thanks HoaS. Unfortunately I still have this problem. I went with the backports, and it installed the 5.14 kernel. I noticed in Synaptic there was a 5.15 kernel and installed that, but still no joy. BTW, I noticed the 5.15 kernel was unsigned, there wasn't a signed one available. Is it bad to use an unsigned kernel? I don't understand why it isn't working cause aren't these the kernels from the unstable version 5? Yet I didn't have this problem running that version.

I guess the only thing now to do is try Liquorix. I assume I need to do the following:

curl 'https://liquorix.net/add-liquorix-repo.sh' | sudo bash

and

sudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64

In the first, I notice an apostrophe before https. I never noticed anything like that before. Is that correct or a typo?

Last edited by Ron (2022-01-09 17:47:36)

#512 2022-01-09 18:24:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Ron wrote:

Is it bad to use an unsigned kernel?

The signed kernels can start with SecureBoot enabled but the unsigned versions cannot unless you sign them with your own key and enrol that into the UEFI firmware. The signature in question has been approved by Microsoft.

Ron wrote:

I don't understand why it isn't working cause aren't these the kernels from the unstable version 5? Yet I didn't have this problem running that version.

So you don't see the errors with other distributions that use the 5.15 kernel?

That kernel version is considered "stable" by the developers: https://www.kernel.org/. De{vu,bi}an use an LTS kernel version to suit their "stable" releases for which the API version should not change (which is what "stable" means in that context — it is not a synonym for "reliability" even though that tends to be a happy side-effect).

Ron wrote:

I guess the only thing now to do is try Liquorix.

You can try it but I'm pretty sure the ACPI interface will be the same as for the De{vu,bi}an kernels of the same API version (ie, 5.15).

Ron wrote:

I assume I need to do the following:

Actually I've just checked the script and it won't work for Devuan because it runs lsb_release -cs to check the distribution version.

This will modify the script to make it work:

curl 'https://liquorix.net/add-liquorix-repo.sh' | sed 's/^codename=.*/codename=bullseye/' | sudo bash

The apt-transport-https package can be removed afterwards though because the source uses http and that package is no longer needed for https sources in chimaera. I should probably tell the Liquorix folks about that...

Ron wrote:

I notice an apostrophe before https. I never noticed anything like that before. Is that correct or a typo?

It's correct, the quote is so curl parses it correctly. The command still works without the apostrophes though.

I would advise checking the script for any malicious code before piping it through to a privileged shell. I've vetted it myself but you shouldn't trust random people on the interweb smile

If the new kernels don't help at all go back to the original with

# apt install linux-image-amd64=5.10.84-1 linux-{image,headers}-liquorix-amd64-

Then remove the added sources and the file at /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/liquorix-keyring.gpg and run apt update.

#513 2022-01-09 19:32:19

Ron

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Ron wrote:

I don't understand why it isn't working cause aren't these the kernels from the unstable version 5? Yet I didn't have this problem running that version.

So you don't see the errors with other distributions that use the 5.15 kernel?

No, I didn't get this error while I was running the unstable Miyo/Devuan 5. Version 5 uses the 5.15 kernel, I think. Honestly, I'm thinking of either going back to version 3 (Miyo Modern), or the unstable and make sure this time I'm running apt-listbugs.

On a side note, I want to thank you HoaS . . . you've helped me out a handful of times here on the forums. It is appreciated.  smile

#514 2022-01-09 21:41:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Okay, I've just seen those symbol errors in an Arch user's journal and they aren't complaining about any boot delays so the errors might be irrelevant.

Check /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and confirm that the UUID printed there matches the UUID of the swap partition. Also check all entries in /etc/fstab for incorrect UUIDs, as per https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 … 00866.html

Use this command to list all UUIDs for your drives:

lsblk -o name,uuid
Ron wrote:

I want to thank you

You're welcome smile

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-01-09 21:43:50)

#515 2022-01-10 01:51:03

Ron

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Use this command to list all UUIDs for your drives:

I'm sorry, earlier today I just reinstalled Miyo Modern/Devuan 3. The login delay was too much for me. And since then have been busy watching (American) football until now.

Last edited by Ron (2022-01-10 01:57:11)

#516 2022-01-10 11:17:30

MiyoLinux

Oh dear! We went on a short day-trip yesterday, and I didn't even carry my phone with me. I'm sorry for the trouble and not responding. Thank you HoaS for giving your help!

Ron, I have a guess as to what it could be. I know it's too late (once again), but perhaps this may help someone else???

Since I'm a minimalist, I generally try and avoid packages that I don't need.

However, for MiyoLinux, I'm not as extreme (that may be the wrong word) in what I include or don't include, because I believe that it should pretty much be able to work for most users while still being minimal.

I never include acpi on a MiyoLinux system that I build, because I figure that a user can install it if they need it...you know...Make It Your Own. tongue  However, on some builds, I have included the package acpid.

UNFORTUNATELY...

I just looked at the packages included in MATE-Minimal, and acpid isn't included. Apparently, I neglected to (aka forgot to) install it. sad

Now, I don't know why that is affecting your machine and doesn't affect others. I installed it on a partition, and it works fine for me without it. However, that's the only difference that I can think of.

I'm not sure about Miyo-Modern (since I don't have it available to check right now), but I would imagine that if you opened Synaptic and searched for acpi, it will show that acpid and possibly acpi-support-base are the only "acpi" packages that are installed? That's what is showing on my installed Miyo-Rolling.

EDIT: I just downloaded and checked Miyo-Modern. acpid isn't installed on it. I can only guess that it has something to do with the kernel(s) available in beowulf as opposed to the newer kernels in chimaera and ceres.

All of that to say this...

Try installing acpid, reboot, and see if that helps.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2022-01-10 11:52:50)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#517 2022-01-10 18:21:32

Ron

There was one thing I wish I did before I reinstalled Modern. When the boot up process picked up after the message in the image above, the first line said something to the effect of "No longer waiting . . . ." I don't remember if it said what it was waiting for as the text would speed by very fast (I don't think it did). Does this offer any clues as to what could've been the problem?

Last edited by Ron (2022-01-10 18:35:40)

#518 2022-01-11 03:07:52

MiyoLinux

Hi Ron.

I installed Modern on a partition, but I'm not getting a "wait message".

Perhaps you can look in /var/log/boot to see if it gives you a more complete record of what it was waiting for? If so, post it here, and we'll see what we can do. smile

#519 2022-01-11 03:16:40

Ron

MiyoLinux wrote:

Hi Ron.
I installed Modern on a partition, but I'm not getting a "wait message".

No, I meant on the Mate Miyo version; sorry I wasn't clear about that. I'm not getting any errors or delay with Modern, nor when I had the rolling release (except when I downloaded the buggy updates for the rolling). Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Ron (2022-01-11 03:25:48)

#520 2022-01-11 13:15:32

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

No, I meant on the Mate Miyo version; sorry I wasn't clear about that. I'm not getting any errors or delay with Modern, nor when I had the rolling release (except when I downloaded the buggy updates for the rolling). Sorry for the confusion.

Oh.

tongue

I see that now. Sorry. When I first read it, I thought you meant Modern was doing the same thing as the MATE-Minimal.

#521 2022-01-30 18:31:10

MiyoLinux

The latest release of MiyoLinux Openbox based on Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera) is now available for anyone who may be interested.

From the Welcome Screen and Release Notes...

This release of MiyoLinux is code-named 'Saluta Semplice' in honor of the late Debian-based distro called Semplice. Semplice is the distro that inspired me to become an Openbox user. There are no "Semplice tools" included. All that I've done is use the Semplice wallpaper so that I could once again be reminded of the excitement that I felt each time I booted up my computer running Semplice. big_smile

Thanks g7, for all of the work that you put into your amazing distro! You are missed.

So, what's new with this latest release? Not much...it's MiyoLinux. wink

Are there any interesting features? Not many...it's MiyoLinux. tongue

LOLOLOL!!!

As with all MiyoLinux builds, you get a base system that allows you to install the software/applications that YOU want on your system.

With that aside, here's a condensed version of the Release Notes...

1. The right-click Menu is provided by obmenu-generator.
2. There is no "Power Manager" preinstalled. xset is used to keep the screen from blanking.
3. How to enable sound with ALSA if you have more that one sound-card.
4.  There is no Number Lock (numlockx) installed.
5. How to activate the firewall with UFW.
6. Screenshots go into your Pictures folder.
7. Wallpapers / Wallpaper Changer Script are controlled by hsetroot.
8. Picom is installed to handle compositing.
9. The official Papirus Folders Script is included to allow users to change folder colors.
10. The Screen Lock is provided by slock.
11. Miscellaneous Notes: several notes about different things n'stuff that I didn't include in the main notes. tongue
12. Special Acknowledgments

The default wallpaper is the wallpaper from the last release of Semplice from 2015. That image is also used as the lightdm background and the grub screen (if you install the system). I did darken the image a little for the grub screen. However, there are other MiyoLinux wallpapers included.

The .isos are available as i686, x86_64 BIOS, and UEFI versions. If you're interested, they can be downloaded from Sourceforge. The full Release Notes are also available for download...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … e/Openbox/

Have fun! smile

...and here are a couple of screenshots of the default desktop with the Semplice wallpaper...

2022-01-30-123112-1366x768-scrot_orig.png

2022-01-30-123203-1366x768-scrot_orig.png

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2022-01-30 18:37:49)

#522 2022-01-31 01:49:30

Ron

Hi Miyo, I installed your new upload of Miyo and the bootup works great. But one problem I'm having is this: to fix the major screen tearing I get in my browser, I always edit the compton.conf file from this:

backend = "xrender";
#backend = "glx";

to this:

#backend = "xrender";
backend = "glx";

However for some reason, this time this file doesn't exist. What can I do? (Yes I deleted picon and installed compton. Was that a mistake?)

Last edited by Ron (2022-01-31 01:52:55)

#523 2022-01-31 03:02:54

MiyoLinux

Hi Ron! Compton still works. You can download the compton.conf file that I used to use here...

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code … CKnBCY0UzX

Make the changes that you mentioned, and move the file to the ~/.config/ folder. After doing those two things, Make sure to add compton to your autostart after doing that, then log out and back in for it to take effect. wink

Thanks for your support, and good luck!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2022-01-31 03:07:22)

#524 2022-01-31 03:37:12

Ron

Thanks MiyoLinux. That's got everything working as it should.

#525 2022-01-31 10:00:34

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Thanks MiyoLinux. That's got everything working as it should.

You're welcome!

Board footer