The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-30 00:31:17

JWM-Kit
Website

JWM Kit Linux build 20210828 (WOW! What an improvement)

Introducing the August 2021 Build of JWM Kit Linux. This Devuan derivative remains focused on demonstration the JWM Kit software suite, because of this the largest changes are those made to JWM Kit.

First I'd like to thank everyone who showed interest in the original release over a year ago. I know it was a rough release but it did demonstrate the basic idea, and provided me with plenty of feedback. If you liked the original release you're going to love this one. If you didn't like the original release, well this a major difference. Please give it a try.

General Changes

• Defaults to a dark mode theme

• Rename from JWM Kit Live to JWM Kit Linux Since it is not limited to the Live environment.

• Up to date packages

• Common firmware is now included

Changes to JWM Kit

• New tools

• Improvements and fixes for all apps.

• Complete re-write of JWM Kit Trays, and JWM Kit Menus

• Improved Icons

New JWM Kit Tools

• Repair & Restore - Find and fix errors in the JWM configuration. Create restore points of the configuration and/or revert to a previous restore point.

• Settings - A settings manager as seen in popular desktops

• Appearance - Preview and set JWM Theme, and/or button set

• Freedesktops - Edit .desktop files. (Similar to Menulibe)

• Easy Menu - Generate an Application Menu from freedesktop files

• First Run - Assistance after the initial install of JWM Kit

• Battery Menu - Generate a JWM Menu that provides battery info

• Button Menu - Generate a JWM config that defines the icons used for certain action buttons as selected by the user

Improved packages make it much easier for user to use JWM Kit out side of this derivative.

• Packages for Puppy FOSSA, Puppy SLACKO, Debian based and Arch based distros.

• Packages work with any architecture (no need to worry about 32bit, 64bit, arm, etc)

• The First Run tool helps ensure the user's JWM configuration is complaint with JWM Kit.

Tips (just advice and info nothing here is required)

• The FOSSA .pet package has not been tested on other Ubuntu based puppy builds.  Please report any success/failures.

• The .pet package should give the user post install options. This eliminates the need to use jwmkit_first_run

• JWM is not a dependency, but for “real” use it is best to have JWM installed before you install JWM Kit.

• It is possible to use JWM Kit to create JWM configurations without having JWM installed.

• Create a backup. If you have an existing JWM configuration you do not want to loose you must create a backup before installing any of these packages.

• The JWM configuration must by compliment with JWM Kit. The quickest way to do this is run jwmkit_first_run and select the default config.

• Some JWM Kit tools with assist you if you do not have a complaint config and will start jwmkit_first_run for you.

• Changes made by JWM Kit are specific to the user running the app.

• You can use jwmkit_repair to create a restore point and share the config with other users/machines.

• DO NOT run JWM Kit tools as root unless you are using Puppy Linux or specifically wish to make changes for the root user.

• If a jwm configuration depends on any of the scripts provided by JWM Kit. It will not work correctly if you uninstall JWM Kit.

Additional Notes:

• This build includes non-free firmwares but amd64-microcode was removed as it prevented refractasnapshot from building the ISO.

• This build replaces JWM Kit Calendar with a script and symlink that alters the function and appearance of YAD Calendar.

• This build uses scripts and symlinks to alter the function and appearance of connman-gtk and alsamixergui for better tray integration

TO DO:

• Puppy Linux Slacko .pet package

• 64 Build of JWM Kit Linux

Sample images
Source
ISO Download (currently 32bit builds only)
packages moved to sourceforge (deb, arch, and puppy)

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2021-09-13 14:15:12)

#2 2021-08-30 12:09:15

zapper

Re: JWM Kit Linux build 20210828 (WOW! What an improvement)

definitely is an improvement, logout, shutdown, reboot, are now easier to access, thank you! not to mention, the application menu among other things... smile
Although, keybindings were somewhat tricky to do in your setup, but still its a huge improvement.

All in all, good job!

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#3 2021-08-30 22:02:45

JWM-Kit
Website

Puppy Linux packages of JWM Kit have been updated and uploaded.  Both FOSSA (Ubuntu based)  and SLACKO (Slackware based) versions.

If you already downloaded the FOSSA version please download again. It was an old version. I also advise uninstalling the old version before installing this one. Sorry about that sad

download here

#4 2021-08-30 22:08:30

JWM-Kit
Website

Zapper, Thanks for trying out this new build and sharing your experience.

As for the keybinding, I'm not sure if you mean the actual keybindings I have set or the JWM Kit tool for assigning keybindings. To be honest they both need some work and I am aware of that. A complete rewrite of JWM Kit Keys is on the agenda.

Once again thanks for your input.

#5 2021-08-31 00:29:09

zapper

JWM-Kit wrote:

Puppy Linux packages of JWM Kit have been updated and uploaded.  Both FOSSA (Ubuntu based)  and SLACKO (Slackware based) versions.

If you already downloaded the FOSSA version please download again. It was an old version. I also advise uninstalling the old version before installing this one. Sorry about that sad

download here

Actually, I was using Hyperbola and using the jwmkit archbuild... tongue

The newer one from codeberg I used... smile

I would assume it works well even for devuan.

Thanks in advance for asking though and I appreciate you are working on the keybindings situation.

I also like that shutdown, poweroff and logout don't have any stupid redhat depends... such as dbus, elogind, etc...

Unrelated,  but anything I use in Hyperbola almost always works in Devuan.

Edit: it seems I might be wrong, I just checked and the shutdown function doesn't work without dbus or consolekit or elogind, atm...

logout works, but poweroff/reboot not so much yet.   The buttons appeared for it, but clicking on it hasn't done anything... I wonder what went wrong.

just a heads up.  PS, terminal emulator lets me use superuser rights to shut it down with poweroff or reboot.  So I know that's not the problem.

But either way, its nice to have most of the features anyways.

Still, if you feel like fixing for me, let me know, aka, a dbusless and consolekitless/elogindless fix.

Last edited by zapper (2021-08-31 02:01:33)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#6 2021-08-31 02:51:08

JWM-Kit
Website

Zapper, you need to start jwmkit_logout with the correct parameters. The default is to use consolekit, but It's only one option and not truly dependent on it.  You can tell it to work differently, but your system will need to be configured to work with one of the options.

The following examples all use /sbin/reboot, and /sbin/poweroff
jwmkit_logout gksu   ------ will use gksu
jwmkit_logout sudo   ------ will use sudo
jwmkit_logout nosu   -----  will just issue the /sbin/poweroff  /sbin/reboot commands without out asking for root permission

check here for more info
logout parameters

Test it by starting jwmkit_logout from the terminal, and when you find a working solution use jwmkit_freedesktops to change the command line in the .desktop file so it will affect your menus.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2021-08-31 02:51:28)

#7 2021-08-31 13:26:50

zapper

JWM-Kit wrote:

Zapper, you need to start jwmkit_logout with the correct parameters. The default is to use consolekit, but It's only one option and not truly dependent on it.  You can tell it to work differently, but your system will need to be configured to work with one of the options.

The following examples all use /sbin/reboot, and /sbin/poweroff
jwmkit_logout gksu   ------ will use gksu
jwmkit_logout sudo   ------ will use sudo
jwmkit_logout nosu   -----  will just issue the /sbin/poweroff  /sbin/reboot commands without out asking for root permission

check here for more info
logout parameters

Test it by starting jwmkit_logout from the terminal, and when you find a working solution use jwmkit_freedesktops to change the command line in the .desktop file so it will affect your menus.

I hope this helps.

It helps somewhat, yes, but how do I make it the default, I guess?

I apologize if you gave me the answer already and I am unaware... not an expert, aka.

Update: I got it functioning via doas, not sure how to do it without root, but if it has any security risks, it may be better off anyways. 

That being said, I appreciate your work! smile

You have no idea how much this helps me.

Last edited by zapper (2021-08-31 13:58:03)

Peace Be With us All!

#8 2021-08-31 15:54:37

JWM-Kit
Website

Zapper, I'm glad  you found something that works and hope it's a good solution for you.   I may of been wrong in my previous post about needing to change the .desktop for JWMKit Logout as your links to this app are probably in the static part of the menu and the tray. In this case you need to make the changes to it with both the Tray and Menu tools.  Sorry about that, but I assume you figured this out already.

I'll also make the assumption that since my app does not support doas (which I've been hearing a lot about lately) that you are just calling jwmkit_logout with doas instead of using a feature built into the logout app. Which I guess would work just as well.

Now I need to add doas support to jwmkit_logout. . . I think I may take another approach and just allow the user specify the specific logout commands they want.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2021-08-31 18:12:19)

#9 2021-08-31 17:26:48

Camtaf

The doas program is an updated sudo basically, with less options making for more security, first appeared on OpenBSD. smile

#10 2021-08-31 20:04:19

zapper

JWM-Kit wrote:

Zapper, I'm glad  you found something that works and hope it's a good solution for you.   I may of been wrong in my previous post about needing to change the .desktop for JWMKit Logout as your links to this app are probably in the static part of the menu and the tray. In this case you need to make the changes to it with both the Tray and Menu tools.  Sorry about that, but I assume you figured this out already.

I'll also make the assumption that since my app does not support doas (which I've been hearing a lot about lately) that you are just calling jwmkit_logout with doas instead of using a feature built into the logout app. Which I guess would work just as well.

Now I need to add doas support to jwmkit_logout. . . I think I may take another approach and just allow the user specify the specific logout commands they want.

Semi figured it out, not completely, but its a huge improvement. wink

Yes, I called it with doas instead. heh...

sakura -e doas  /sbin/poweroff

sakura -e doas /sbin/reboot

That's how I activate it currently. 

Its fine atm, till a better solution appears. smile

Peace Be With us All!

#11 2021-09-06 23:03:57

zapper

Hey, JWMKIT, I wondered if you can make a tar release, so Hyperbola devs could add it to their repository, also btw, if you do this, I suppose debian could also and other stable release operating systems.

So yeah, I would appreciate it if you made a new release on this soon. smile   On your codeberg.org repo, I mean.

Oh and by the way, huge note to make,

doas has a way to bypass for certain commands how to activate certain commands in regular user mode.

So, I can actually suspend or poweroff easily now.

Last edited by zapper (2021-09-06 23:06:12)

Peace Be With us All!

#12 2021-09-07 15:48:50

JWM-Kit
Website

zapper. JWM Kit needs a little bit of polishing before I can make a stable release.  I have a list of issues and I mark them off as I go.  When I finish the list I will make a stable release.  Of course if any big issues are discovered before I finish they will be added to the list.

Thanks for the feedback and your Patience.

#13 2021-09-07 17:32:49

zapper

JWM-Kit wrote:

zapper. JWM Kit needs a little bit of polishing before I can make a stable release.  I have a list of issues and I mark them off as I go.  When I finish the list I will make a stable release.  Of course if any big issues are discovered before I finish they will be added to the list.

Thanks for the feedback and your Patience.

Alrighty,  good to know.  I am curious how much longer it will be though before it is released, aka, like a month or w/e, but thanks for the update. smile

Peace Be With us All!

#14 2021-09-07 21:40:00

JWM-Kit
Website

Sorry, I did not specify a release date. I prefer quality and flexibility over deadlines. As you stated in the Issue you submitted,  " its ready, when its ready. wink" . But that's a hard line answer, and I understand it is not helpful. So allow me to answer you in an informative way that does not obligate me. smile

Progress is directly linked to my availability (free time).  I'll try my best to have it ready before the end of the month, hopefully sooner depending on time, energy and coffee.  The largest number of issues are with the Time & Date tool.  If it is the cause of much delay.  I will either leave it out of the build or just set NoDisplay=true in it's .desktop file.

I do feel the Time & Date tool is important because it allows control of the date/time/timezone without having to add even more dependencies to  the system. Also it seems many of the newer Graphical time set tools are simply a front end for timedatectl (systemd)

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2021-09-07 21:42:49)

#15 2021-09-08 01:06:14

zapper

JWM-Kit wrote:

Sorry, I did not specify a release date. I prefer quality and flexibility over deadlines. As you stated in the Issue you submitted,  " its ready, when its ready. wink" . But that's a hard line answer, and I understand it is not helpful. So allow me to answer you in an informative way that does not obligate me. smile

Progress is directly linked to my availability (free time).  I'll try my best to have it ready before the end of the month, hopefully sooner depending on time, energy and coffee.  The largest number of issues are with the Time & Date tool.  If it is the cause of much delay.  I will either leave it out of the build or just set NoDisplay=true in it's .desktop file.

I do feel the Time & Date tool is important because it allows control of the date/time/timezone without having to add even more dependencies to  the system. Also it seems many of the newer Graphical time set tools are simply a front end for timedatectl (systemd)

Excellent to hear!

End of the month is definitely a good answer if its possible.

Thank you, and feel free to lock that issue whenever, since you seem to be working on it.

Will time and date have a possibility to be made bold in the future? Not needed, but would be nice, still, I would rather it be released sooner then later even if that isn't an opiton.

And yes, that mess from redhat is hell...

I consider most of redhat's trash to be garbage.  Systemd, dbus, networkmanager pulseaudio, pipewire, avahi, and stuff that those packages depend on, the libraries that redhat develops for them, is really, really annoying.

That all being said, I think I am in good company at least wirh regard to system dumb... I call it that, because it is so bloated its a stupid design. sad

Anywho, thanks again!

Peace Be With us All!

#16 2021-09-13 17:44:32

JWM-Kit
Website

Edited initial announcement to fix hyperlinks.

In an effort to reduce the total size of JWM Kit's git repository hosted on codeberg.org I have moved Debian, Arch, and Puppy Linux install packages to sourceforge. Preview images have been moved to google drive, but you can find them on sourceforge as well.  You will find the updated links in the first post of this thread.

#17 2021-09-29 15:20:58

JWM-Kit
Website

JWM Kit now has a wiki. The wiki provides basic information on the various tools JWM Kit offers along with some nice pretty pictures.

JWM Kit Wiki

#18 2021-09-30 00:05:32

zapper

Cool, I saw your stable release! I appreciate it.

I hope it works as well for devuan as it does Hyperbola!

Thank you very much in advance!

Peace Be With us All!

#19 2022-01-14 20:06:03

JWM-Kit
Website

A new stable release of JWM Kit is available. Version 20220113. Yep I'm stick with the date based version numbers. I like 'em.
Download packages for Arch and Debian based systems here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jwmkit/files/Packages/

Source Releases is here:
https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/JWM_Kit/releases

Some may see this as a small update, but it is a big update for 2 groups of people.
1. SNDIO user.  - Removes dependency on aucatctl, and improves SNDIO support.
2.  jwm 2.4 user. - Supports the new default configuration location $HOME/.config/jwm/jwmrc

Puppy Linux packages will come latter.

Once last thing. It's old news but some may have missed it. I have posted a collection of JWM Themes, and JWM Button-set on the JWM Kit sourceforge.
Instead of downloading them one by one, just grab the all_themes.zip, and all_buttons.zip to save time.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jwmkit/files/

#20 2022-01-17 01:44:52

zapper

JWM-Kit wrote:

A new stable release of JWM Kit is available. Version 20220113. Yep I'm stick with the date based version numbers. I like 'em.
Download packages for Arch and Debian based systems here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jwmkit/files/Packages/

Source Releases is here:
https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/JWM_Kit/releases

Some may see this as a small update, but it is a big update for 2 groups of people.
1. SNDIO user.  - Removes dependency on aucatctl, and improves SNDIO support.
2.  jwm 2.4 user. - Supports the new default configuration location $HOME/.config/jwm/jwmrc

Puppy Linux packages will come latter.

Once last thing. It's old news but some may have missed it. I have posted a collection of JWM Themes, and JWM Button-set on the JWM Kit sourceforge.
Instead of downloading them one by one, just grab the all_themes.zip, and all_buttons.zip to save time.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jwmkit/files/

Thank you, been kind of out of it, but I appreciate this. smile

Peace Be With us All!

#21 2022-01-18 14:07:27

JWM-Kit
Website

@zapper. This is a response to your comments on another forum concerning JWM Kit. I felt this was a more appropriate place to continue the conversation.

zapper wrote:

Wait, you can use JWMKIT without JWM?  Hmm, what happens if you do so though? Does any of the functionality still work? What is missing aka...

Or did I misunderstand this too?

Either way though, that puzzles me.

Yes, JWM Kit will work without JWM, but just like any other graphical application you still need some kind of windows manager, or Desktop.  For example XFCE, IceWM,  or gnome.

But why would you want to run JWM Kit without JWM? Well even though JWM Kit will have no effect on the running system it still writes the config files. 

For Example.  You could run JWM Kit under XFCE. Use JWM Kit to create your custom JWM configuration.  Use JWM Kit Repair & Restore to create a restore point.  Copy the the restore point to another machine and use Repair & Restore to install the restore point.

Another advantage of being able to run JWM Kit without JWM is being able to use a non-jwm session to change yoru config.
For example. Lets say you have a machine with both JWM and XFCE installed.  If your JWM config was to get damaged you could login in to the XFCE session and use JWM Kit to repair your configuration.

This ability is also useful to developers who which contribute to JWM Kit. Allowing them to write/modify JWM Kit's  code and test the code while using their preferred WM or DE.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2022-01-18 22:25:46)

#22 2022-01-19 02:58:50

andyprough

JWM-Kit wrote:

Yes, JWM Kit will work without JWM, but just like any other graphical application you still need some kind of windows manager, or Desktop.

I wonder if there would be any value in running it on a tiling window manager like DWM? I use DWM with a patched-in systray, so I can probably run any panel applets from JWM Kit. Could be interesting, JWM Kit has a lot of useful utilities for a window manager.

#23 2022-01-19 04:18:37

JWM-Kit
Website

andyprough wrote:

I wonder if there would be any value in running it on a tiling window manager like DWM? I use DWM with a patched-in systray, so I can probably run any panel applets from JWM Kit. Could be interesting, JWM Kit has a lot of useful utilities for a window manager.

. . . and to quote myself wink

JWM-Kit wrote:

But why would you want to run JWM Kit without JWM? Well even though JWM Kit will have no effect on the running system it still writes the config files.

Will I guess I overstated that. because I guess parts of JWM Kit do have purpose outside of JWM.  Although much of it is specific to enhancing JWM.

So what parts of JWM Kit could you use to enhance a  non-jwm system.

Note : I've shorten the names. We all know the full names start with 'JWM Kit", just like XFCE apps start with XFCE4

• Calendar

• Logout

• Time & Date

• Settings

• Popvolume (The core of JWM Kit's volume control and notification.  Assign it to keys, or mouse bindings)

• Freedesktops (similar to MenuLibre)

• Wallpaper (limited, it works also with SpaceFM, PCManFM, and ROX Desktops . . . but would be easy to add support for xseroott, feh, etc.)

What parts are specific to JWM and would not be useful in a non-JWM system

• appearance

• trays

• menus

• startups

• groups

• keys

• icons

• Repair & Restore.Battery Menu

I'm sure I missed something, butt that's the short version and it still seemed kind of long.

So is there much interest in a non-jwm version of JWM Kit, and what would I call it. maybe X-JWM Kit?

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2022-01-19 04:19:10)

#24 2022-01-19 13:13:29

andyprough

JWM-Kit wrote:
andyprough wrote:

. . . and to quote myself wink

JWM-Kit wrote:

Will I guess I overstated that. because I guess parts of JWM Kit do have purpose outside of JWM.  Although much of it is specific to enhancing JWM.

So what parts of JWM Kit could you use to enhance a  non-jwm system.

Note : I've shorten the names. We all know the full names start with 'JWM Kit", just like XFCE apps start with XFCE4

• Calendar

• Logout

• Time & Date

• Settings

• Popvolume (The core of JWM Kit's volume control and notification.  Assign it to keys, or mouse bindings)

• Freedesktops (similar to MenuLibre)

• Wallpaper (limited, it works also with SpaceFM, PCManFM, and ROX Desktops . . . but would be easy to add support for xseroott, feh, etc.)

I tried it last night on my DWM setup with Devuan.
Pro's - super easy to install with the .deb package
Con's - not much worked in DWM. The calendar popped up, but I couldn't interact with it and it did not stay on the systray. The settings menu popped up but I couldn't use it to effect the system. Popvolume and Popmixer(spelling?) did not work. Wallpaper did not seem to do anything that I recall.

After trying a few things, I removed the package from the system so as not to introduce any instabilities.

I think it's got potential, because it does install and I could see that the various modules were trying to do something. I think I may have been missing some dependencies that would have helped it to run better. When I get time I'd like to explore it further in a VM, see if there are some dependencies or config options that would help to integrate it into the DWM environment better.

As far as my DWM setup, I clone the git version from suckless.org, just the vanilla version with the exception of adding the systray patch, along with the git versions of dmenu and slstatus. So if you were to explore it, targeting a setup like mine would be pretty easy. I'm not certain, but I think there are more DWM users in the world than JWM users, so if it could be integrated with DWM it could potentially hit a pretty good sized audience.

#25 2022-01-19 15:47:56

JWM-Kit
Website

I said the parts could be used to enhance a non-jwm system.  I didn't say it would be easy to configure tongue. Maybe a how to or even a special package could be made for DWM.  This whole conversation has me thinking of how to expand JWM Kit to work better outside of JWM.

instability concerns
There is no reason JWM kit should cause instabilities. You can relax,  but If your not using it uninstall it cause I know you want a clean system.

Thought
Considering many Distros use  JWM  I doubt DWM has more user, but I could be wrong. Just a though, I'm not trying to debate the point. Although DWM is rising in popularity. I've not even tried it so I need check it out.

PopVolume

You need alsa-utils installed (or whatever package provides amixer for you distro)

Then you can assign

jwmkit_popvolume t +       #To the key binding, icon, action etc you wish to turn up the volume
jwmkit_popvolume t -       #To turn down the volume
jwmkit_popvolume mute       #To toggle mute

Wallpaper
Didn't expect it to unless you used on of the supported desktops or JWM, but Support could easily be added.  In fact I'm adding it to my TODO list so it will be added.

Setting
Settings should work to provide access to all apps in the "settings" category.  This means it will also list all the JWM Kit tools that will not enhance your system. You can use Freedesktops to hide those tools.

EDIT : correct mute command.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2022-01-20 03:34:13)

Board footer